1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Solder pot for making shot?? HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Have recieved FREE a solder pot which I would like to use to make buckshot/slugs/anything shootable. The problem is that after 3 hours the solder doesn't melt should I dig out the solder which is in the pot and start anew, it is possible that someone put in lead free solder which may need a higher temp to melt? Should I dig into the guts and look for the heating element and try to replace it? If that's the case where might I find one to replace the bad one with? It has a nice sized crucible which holds 2 pounds. The pot itself is not 4 years old as my company bought it in 2007. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance...

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I originally posted from my desk at work (just couldn't wait to get home to my cave to give it a try).

Nevermind the pot not working... The nice monkeys at work had turned the adjustable switch to the point where you couldn't tell what was high or low temp. A little TLC and tinkering and she heats up almost as good as my wife.

Now where do I get started at for getting my tools for this project ready? I have seen a site that sells the dies. Any pointers out there? Any advice??

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The pot should not be allowed to run dry. Always keep some lead in it so the heating element doesn't burn out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.