1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLD what would you do with this buyer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

This transaction was on TS but its been a long time so the seller on here wont remember me I am sure but just curious what you would do?

I have had been looking a long time for a stock in a LH then one popped up on here as a LH but no palm swell. I told the seller its not exactly what I was looking for but I would take it and if he could please keep looking for the one I want and he agreed and said he would let me know if any came in. I sent the check promptly that same day....then

The NEXT day another was listed by a different seller that was exactly what I wanted. I agreed to purchase this one also then I contacted the 1st seller and asked,

1. Could you see your way to let me out of this since I found the one I wanted and just tear up my check?

2. Option 2 just cash the check and send me the stock and I will re-list it.

What would you do as a seller? Keep in mind the time passed was exactly 24 hours and he had not recieved the check yet. As it turned out I finally sold the stock and all was fine. But, as a seller if someone changed there mind AND contacted me promptly I know what I would of done.

2. BD457

BD457 Member

Me? I'd tear the check up and relist, but a deal IS a deal. You purchased it and he has no obligation to let you off the hook. It's a character issue I guess, as a seller, I want my customer to completely happy with the transaction no mater how it ends up.

Mike

3. chovyman

chovyman Member

I would have tore up or returned the check and re-listed the stock this has happened before.
    But I guess some people don't see it that way
    :)

4. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

Same here, tear up the check.

5. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I would have sent your check back. But, I would not have been very enthusiastic about doing it.

The real lesson in your tale of woe is this: "If it is not what you really want, then pass on the deal". I do not wish to sound harsh, but you created your own misery - and probably irritated someone else in the process - because you elected to buy something that was not what you really wanted in the first place....

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Putting a stop payment on the check probably isn't the best idea, unless you are prepared to cover the fees that the seller will be charged if he tries to cash the check.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The one thing I wouldn't do is second guess a deal that was done sometime ago. What are you trying to figure out here exactly and for what end? Let it go.

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Wolfram,
    Not trying to figure anything out more than bringing up "gun related discussion" Its nice to get this in the forum so people that sell see what side of the fence people are on thats all.

9. benschott

benschott Member

I would relisted the stock after his call. When I received the check, I would have writen void several times over it's face and returned it to the buyer. Everyone makes mistakes, it's knowing how to correct the mistake that matters. What goes around, comes around.

Gary

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

As a seller I would have said OK I'll send back or tear up the check. I have been at points where something has come up money wise and asked if I could back out the deal and or pay for it later. I let the seller know what had happened. He keeps the item of course but justgive me time. Things happen.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tear the check up. I prfer peace and harmony rather than animosity. Life is too short. Especially at my age. Mike.

12. N2deep

N2deep Member

I too would return the check or tear it up,, however,, if I was the buyer and the seller agreed to let me off the hook, I think a little gesture would be in order,, say a bag of wads or two, a nice hat, a box of gun wipes, something to let them know it was appreciated

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

What was the sellers response to your question? You noted that you did resell it. Ray

14. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've run into a simular situation recently with a buyer. Something came up that he couldn't complete the deal. Now I was the seller, but remember, we are shooters and realize that things happen. I just relisted the item and called the guy and told him that I had relisted it and if he changed his mind he could still have it but it was subject to another sale as he had lost his place in line. We all need to be fair with each other. And remember, a deal is a deal.....

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When you buy soething it is yours. If you don't want it then sell it yourself. If you want a mulligan go play golf.

Perfidy is a character flaw.

HM

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I agree with Halfmile I guess.

17. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Had you not found the other stock you would have been perfectly happy ! Id say its up to the 1st Gentlemen to decide you fate! I wouldve sent the check back but with a bad taste in my mouth! On purchasing ANYTHING I follow this Golden Rule never reach ! Good Luck !

18. NCL

NCL TS Member

I agree with the idea of just tearing up the check unless you requested it back and relist the item. I have actually had it happen the other way where I agreed to buy something and the seller got cold feet and backed out. I justed viewed it that it wasn't meant to be.

19. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

If I were the buyer ...I would have never asked to be let out of the deal...but that's just me. A deal is a deal..where I'm from a handshake is as good as a contract, and a man only as as good as his word. Buyers remorse is no excuse...

As a seller I may have let you out of the deal...begrudgingly but nicely, and chalked it up another sign of changing times, just to keep harmony and avoid bad press like this at a later date. Depends on whether I had told other potential buyers it was sold and other extenuating circumstances. It could have caused the seller some small personal hardship...counting on the sale for instance...and giving his word to a purchase another item from someone else. You never know.

20. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Given the circumstances, I think it would take alot of nerve to even ask the seller to void the deal. Why put him on the spot because you made a poor decision. As the seller, I would refund your money, but that would be the last time we did business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.