1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLD: nice Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Magnum

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by AveragEd, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I buy small collections of S&W revolvers every now and then and almost always wind up with duplicates of guns I already have. That is how I recently acquired this one and the reason I'm selling it.

It is a Model 686 no-dash stainless steel .357 Magnum with a six-inch full-underlug barrel and NO "Hillary Hole" internal lock or MIM parts - the hammer, trigger and cylinder release are all forged. It is kind of unusual in that it has a pinned front sight blade, something that I seldom see on a no-dash 686. That means that the sight blade is not an integral part of the barrel and can be changed to any of the other S&W front sight blades. Like all .357s, it can also shoot lower-cost, light-recoiling .38 Special ammunition.

The gun appears to be in very good condition. I have all my purchases shipped to a gunsmith who is S&W-trained. He gave this one high marks for fit, as the headspace is right at the minimum .006", the cylinder end-shake is well within specifications and the crane-to-frame gap is tight and even. I have no idea of the gun's previous usage but the slight turn line on the cylinder and its overall cleanliness would suggest light use. Also, the rubber Hogue Monogrip shows no wear. My gunsmith fired six squib loads through it to confirm that it fires and cycles properly in both single and double-action modes. He also removed the sideplate to verify what the apparently unmolested sideplate screws suggested - that no amateur gunsmithing had been performed.

averaged_2008_0303242.jpg

averaged_2008_0303243.jpg

averaged_2008_0303244.jpg

averaged_2008_0303245.jpg

averaged_2008_0303246.jpg

averaged_2008_0303247.jpg

This one is $550 plus $36 USPS Priority shipping and insurance to the "lower 48." If you have any questions or would like other photos, please ask!

Ed

2. bubba68

bubba68 Member

0   0   0

Bought a S&W from AveragEd a couple of months ago. Great transaction and gun was just as explained.

Good shooting.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Let me add my 2 cents. I sold a gun to Ed last year or so. I would say he is an easy guy to deal with and maintains good communication.

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

That is a nice 686. I bought several new 686 6 inchers and they all had the pinned in sight, I think maybe it was just the shorter barrels that had the integral sight.

5. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Here's three 6" 686 no-dash guns I've had without the pinned sight.

averaged_2008_0303248.jpg

averaged_2008_0303249.jpg

averaged_2008_0303250.jpg

Ed

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

That is interesting. I wish my memory was better but between me and my friends we bought several of them, maybe I will remember the wholesaler but can't right now. May have been Gil Hebart maybe he ordered them that way.

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

0   0   0

gREAT FIRST GUN!

8. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I think the 686 is the best revolver you can own unless you're hunting dangerous game. It has the grip frame size of the K-frame but a larger cylinder that is built to take the pounding of full-house .357 loads. The Model 19 and 66 won't stand up to that ammo for long. I bulged two cylinders on a Model 19 with hot loads and now relegate my 2-1/2", 4" and 6" Model 66s to target use only. And the full-underlug barrel just looks hot.

On top of that, the cartridges you can shoot in one cover all the bases from light .38 Special wadcutter target loads to heavy magnums for hunting. I guess that's why I own nine of them not including this one!

Ed

9. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

SOLD!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

357magnum 686 no dash

686 no dash 6 inch