1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sold my mothers Plymouth Barracuda this weekend

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Back in 1966 my parents purchased their first new car. It was a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda in blue with a small V8 engine. This car had black interior and the back seat folded down.

My father always had me Windex the back seat window and even as a younger guy it was uncomfortable to enter in to the back seat and clean that window.

This was a car that some felt was ugly but my dad loved this car but decided to place it up on blocks years ago without my knowledge and save it. He once asked me years ago if I ever wanted this car someday and I said no.

Without my knowledge, he paid his sister to store it in her garage. Recently his sister passed away and her son asked me if I could pick up my dad's car or sell it. My mom said to sell it.

The car had 49,000 miles on it and I hired my nephew to put oil in the car, put the tires back on, and do what ever was needed to get it ready to place it up for sale.

Another nephew asked if he could purchase the car and my mom said yes. The kid loved this car when he saw it as the car still had the plastic seat covers over the interior.

My mom ended up giving my nephew the car as he was one happy kid.

How do you determine the value on a car that is no longer in production? My mom still had the original invoice in the glove compartment. My mom said they paid $2,625.00 for that car. (just curious)
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Just "Google" 66 Plymouth Barracuda, you will be amazed.

3. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Blue book for the government. Bid houses on the web for the resale.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Quite a rare but cool little car...that 273ci HiPo was a potent lil rascal...and the back glass in that car will bring today what the whole car cost!

5. senior smoke

People are selling these from $1,000.00 to 10,000.00. My nephew told me should he ever want to sell it, he'd give my mother the money.

I said I don't care how long you keep it. If you sell it, use the money towards your college loans.

I once took my younger cousins to a drive in with that car. We lowered the back seat and they watched the movie out of that back window.

The car that I wished I would have kept that my dad either gave me or I paid him something for, as I can't remember, was his blue and white 2 tone 1955 Chevy. Now that was a great car.

When I got that 55 Chevy, his uncle gave him a 1957 olds convertible white with red interior if memory serves me correctly? Now that was a sharp fast car.
    Steve

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There was a numbers matching 1966 Barracuda that went through the Russo and Steele Auction last fall for over $20,000 ... 273 HO, 4 speed, posi, dark green with black interior, sounds like the same car ... I am into older Mopars and am amazed at how much some of them bring at auction ... Go to www.classic cars online.com and see for yourself ... www.Carsonline.com .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

That rear window might be worth more than they originaly paid for the car! AJ

8. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Should of listed it here. My neighbor has a 67 Barracuda on blocks sitting next to his garage with a 273 doing nothing and wont sell.

9. CalvinMD

Can you imagine the green house effect sitting in traffic on a hot summer day with the sun beating down and no AC???? yikes!..I had a 70 Boss 302 'stang and when I removed the facory louvres to clean the rear window and would leave them off..it was like an EZ Bake oven inside...same with my 86 IROC-Z...anyone riding in the rear seats(that were tiny enough!) got frocious sunburn on the back of their necks

10. avery53

avery53 Member

Then there was the Pacer, enough glass to do a small house.

11. CalvinMD

The Pacer was a bowl shaped aquarium on wheels

12. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

I Have bough and sold alot of old cars in the last 10 years, go to cars on line . com and racing junk . com these two sites will give you a good Idea of the value also check hemmings web site for your value. Bill Parker if you have any other questions call me 410-440-4893

13. senior smoke

Thanks for the info guys. When I first met my wife she had a nice looking car. It was a white Javelin. Uglist car I ever saw was also an AMC as I can not remember the name but it also had a name of a type of fish.

I once purchased a mint condtion yellow Gremlin for $1,000.00 from a guy I worked with. It had 20,000 miles on it & in mint condition. For a second car it was good.
    Steve

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

AMC Marlin

15. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I've been looking around for one the past few months & nice ones are going for between $12,000-$15,000 depending on what part of the US they are located.

i_shoot

16. senior smoke

22hornet:
    That's it the Marlin. In my opion ugliest car I ever saw.
    Thanks,
    Steve

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

There's an idea for a good thread - "Ugliest Car".

My nominations:

1) Pontiac Aztek - I read a piece recently that blamed it for the demise of Pontiac.

2) '61 Plymouth - looked like a sardine can with a chrome strip around it.

3) late '50s/early '60s Citroens

18. CalvinMD

Contrary to popular opinion on ugly...I liked the Edsel..but for pure ugly the Studebaker Starlite was right up there as was that big Nash that looked like an ugly old bathtub on wheels

19. CalvinMD

NOW for the prettiest..for me thats easy...I loved the first gen Buick Rivieras..loved the clamshell headlight doors

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I sure remember the Barracuda Formula S back around '66 or so. Warmed over 273 V-8 and upgraded suspension, Goodyear Bluestreak bias play tires from the factory.

Years ago there was a racer out of Cedar City, Utah. Wilford Day was his name. He had a slant six Barracuda with some speed equipment. Stock body. Very clean car and immaculately prepared. I believe he got a record for the time in his class at Bonneville. A bit over a 141 mph average!

Day later campaigned a Valiant with the same engine...again, immaculate car and carefully prepared. Maybe Mr. Day is now a trapshooter some place...

"Calling on Wilford Day, where are you sir?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wilford day barracuda

wilford day bonneville barracuda