1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLD F/S S&W Rare Model 66 with 6" Barrel SOLD

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Mr. Flinch, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have for sale a Smith & Wesson Stainless Model 66 with a 6" barrel. This is an early design that utilizes the pinned barrel and counter bored cylinder (the bullet casing sits recessed in the cylinder). S&W stopped doing this as a cost saving measure around the early eighties and went to the non-pinned barrel and no counter bore. The model designation is MOD. 66, not a -2 or -3, etc. The action has been tuned to a very smooth feel and the Combat grips are in excellent condition. This model was manufactured in low volume with the 6" barrel. It also has a red ramp front sight and except for the action job it is to my knowledge all original. I did buy it used about 15 years ago and fired about 20 rounds through it in all that time. I don't know about any previous owners but the gun appears to be in as-new condition. Sorry but I don't have the original box or paperwork. This is for the gun only. Price is $525.00 firm shipped from my ffl to your ffl in the lower 48. Shipping to Alaska or Hawaii can be done for the actual difference in cost. Thank you, Mark Russell.

PS. I will also include a set of rubber grips with this purchase so you can preserve the beautiful walnut grips.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I remember the first series 66's had all SS sights.

later, changed to the blue sights.

3. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

That's one I didn't know. Of course from the pictures this one has blued sights. All I know is it's the earlier style of manufacturing and it just says Mod. 66. If I remember correctly, when the L frames came out is the time period that they changed the design of the k frame 66. I like the counter boring in the cylinder; if you notice the distance between the rear of the cylinder and the back strap of the frame is a very small space and IMO it looks much cleaner than those produced later.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Please post or email to me clear close-ups of the sideplate screw heads and the bottom of the forcing cone.

Ed

5. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ed,

This is about as good as my camera will do. I decided to post here for everybody to see. I don't like surprises so I'm putting everything in the open. I am familiar with the infamous cracking of the forcing cones on k frame blued guns shooting heavy magnum loads but wasn't aware of problems with the stainless models. If you are looking for something I don't know about please share with us as I'm a shotgunner and not a revolver expert. The paint over the serial number was done by me using Microsoft paint. It's only in the picture, not on the gun. Also, the screws are not perfect but no screwdriver scratches are on the sideplate.. Thanks, Mark.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Nice gun. Getting new screws no problem and cheap.

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

0   0   0

Nice gun and the pictures are very good. I wish I could take pictures with the detail that these show.

I have a S & W Model 66-3 with a 2 1/2" barrel that I had "tuned" a few years ago and I enjoy shooting it.

Allen

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

0   0   0

All K frames stainless or not, are subject to forcing cone cracking if fed too many super hot loads, that one looks perfect and obviously hasn't been shot much.

IIRC the 6 inch guns all had blue rear sights, only the early 4 inch had the stainless rear sight, I could be wrong but that is the way I remember it.

This is a good deal for a fine revolver.

9. SPW895

SPW895 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

PM sent

10. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The revolver is sold pending payment. Thanks to all for your interest and helpful information.

Mark Russell

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

0   0   0

SOLD F/S S&W Rare Model 66 with 6

sliver, that could be true. I was only familiar with the first model 4" bbl.

Nice looking gun regardless.

I like my 6" 66-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.