1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Solar Flare effects to hit Earth today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

The effects of a large solar flare that erupted a day or so ago are expected to hit Earth today, most likely in the mid-afternoon to evening. The flare's radiation hit Earth about 8 minutes after the flare took place but the Corneal Mass Ejection (CME) consisting of charged particles are expected to hit today. Aurora activity may be visible much farther south than is normal.

There are also possible effects on communications, power grids and such. I don't know if it is cause or coincidence but a little while back this morning there was a fair size power failure in our area. As of a few minutes ago, according to the news media, no cause for the blackout has been determined. Maybe it was a flare, maybe it was a raccoon. I don't know.

I have put up a couple of links for a bit more info.

Link 1

Link 2

2. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed them both. I'm an Electric Utility Superintendent who loves astronomy (and Shooting) so they were a good fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.