1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Softouch ? worth the money?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2barrelpa, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2barrelpa

2barrelpa TS Member

I just picked up a new Browning Citori Sporter & want to get a recoil reduction system. I aws looking at BumbBuster but decided I want one that the comb is attached to the butt plate (like the Softouch or the Shockmaster).

I am leaning towards the SOFTOUCH with ajusable comb.

Any one using this or another system?

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have had three guns with the Soft-Touch all shot soft . The Soft-Touch can be a pain to make work right . The last one I had needed help but it did work . It was a very poor installation and never did fit in the stock well . Alot of money for what I got .

3. 2barrelpa

2barrelpa TS Member

Ken, JUMP IN HERE...
    Talk to me about the comb not attached to butt plate so as not to move with gun???
    Why not the G Squared ??

4. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

i have two gun with soft-touch,love them.in fact could not shoot with one and moe is a great guy. wade

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

we have the new version of softtouch- lighter weight. i wud get the 1/2 touch which compares to other systems in px and is much lighter! virtually trouble free!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Absolutelt worth it!!

Greg Hissem in Kansas for installation....

Curt - Delaware

7. checker

checker Member

Got a Soft Touch and Speed Bump.....both work, Worth money if you have gun with stock design the is muley or need recoil reduction, Does you wife shoot this gun Bubba?..... SB way slicker, better looking, design and SB has 4 way adj stock system....SB can change LOP in 2 minuites also. Compare prices....typically CA stuff much higher than TX stuff.
    [​IMG]

8. 2barrelpa

2barrelpa TS Member

My head is all over the place

I originally was leaning towards the BumpBuster.
    Then I was steering towards other systems as I thought the fix comb was a big deal.
    Now I’m back to the BumbBuster.

9. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Okay....I'm jumping!! The reason that some recoil systems employ the attached comb is based on the movement of the system. Some of these systems have a stroke of from 3/4" to over 1". If the comb slid that far it would rip your cheek off. The Bump-Buster has the shortest stroke of any known system at .20". Movement against your cheek is no more than with a thick recoil pad. I did an attached comb Bump-Buster for awhile. Discontinued it due to lack of interest. It just isn't needed. The Bump-Buster is easily adjustable for tension, lop and pad position. It has the most reliable and efficient hydraulics of any system on the market. And unlike most of the others it comes with a lifetime warrantee.

Ken

10. 2barrelpa

2barrelpa TS Member

Well after talking with quite a few by phone, I am going with the BUMPBUSTER in black powder coat.
    Seems all the systems are good & it is hard to make a wrong choise.
    But I'm going to go with Ken & the BumpBuster.

Thank for all the GREAT input on these sysytems.

Happy New year

11. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I'm 70 years old. I shoot 1 3/8 oz. of buffered 4's on Annies in an 870TB with no recoil reduction systems of any kind. You guys are a bunch of wusses.

Buz

12. gunstock202

gunstock202 TS Member

Buz,

But what are your scores?

Adam

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

.20 is not much of a recoil lessening movement, I feel it should be at least .325 to .500 and adjustable to your load.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I have a "Premium" Soft Touch on a Kolar and a "Counter-Coil" (Danuser Machine) on a TM-1, and did shoot some 1100's for 6-7 years. I have no experience with other brands of reduction systems. For effectiveness of these three systems with handicap loads I would rate (1) Soft-Touch (2) the 1100's correctly set up (3) the Counter-Coil. In all fairness, counter coil is on it's third hydraulic cylinder (since 1984) and neither replacement units are near as good as the original.

Between the Soft-touch and the Bumpbuster, sounds like a 7.5's or 8's deal to me. I don't know the price of Ken's unit but I can tell you the replacement cost for the Soft-Touch I have is $1600 or so. It is a very effective unit and so far, trouble free. Cost isn't always the true worth of things. When I get ready to equip another gun though, I will certainly look at all the units out there and get feedback from TS.com members.

Happy New Year to all....

Larry

15. cafowler

cafowler Member

BumpBuster was one of the best decisions I ever made. Quick install, no problems since, and price was right. I think the big plus is taking enough bite out of each load, that the cummulative effect over a 3-4 day shoot becomes non-existent. The end of the day Sunday, I feel like it's the 1st day and I'm ready to go, rather than dreading each shot. You could shoot Girly-man loads, but Ken's work is top notch. It's a no-brainer for me.

16. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I've had two soft touches and one clyde slide, all of which work great, but in my opinion the finish work on the soft touch isn't so good anymore. I wasn't happy with the last job they did for me. They did offer to make it right, but why couldn't they have just done that in the first place?

Anyway if I was going to do it again I'd see if Clyde Cameron in Lewiston, ID is still installing the Clyde Slide (does anybody know?). Same type of recoil reducer for a lot less.

Jennifer

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jenn.... Yes, Clyde is still installing the Clyde Slyde units. His lead time is kind of backed up sometimes, but, he's the best as far as my money is concerned...... Great guy to deal with as well..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have to go with Jennifer I have 4 guns with clyde slydes on them and have less money into all four them than cost of one soft touch.The soft touch is a good system but there are alternatives like the clyde slyde which are much less money and work just as well.Jerry

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had a Clyde Slide installed on my singles gun and a Bump Buster on my doubles gun. Both work great. The comb moves with the gun on the bump buster. I always wear a full beard, so I cannot tell the difference. Maybe clean shaven I would feel the movement. I know older ex-shooters who are fighting arthritis in their shoulders. If a recoil reducer will prevent or retard that damage, I figure the price is way cheaper than even one visit to the Doctor. Good Luck

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The First stock I sent to Shooters Emporium was off a new LJutic it came back with a big dent in it . The last Soft-Touch was a new mag-lock that would not reset . I was told to just shoot it and it would wear in .
    No more for me thank you .

For the price the dam thing should work .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.