1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Softest shooting breakopen?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dove Commander, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Have some shoulder and neck issues. Would like comments on softest shooting breakopen guns. Prefer to not shoot an Auto.

2. trap72

trap72 Member

A Ljutic!

Good Luck,

Ernie

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Bill, I guess I should have qualfied that. I would have it professionally fitted w/custom wood. Had some tests done today, and I will be getting a shoulder job in the near future, or as long as I can take the discomfort. I've never owned a Seitz,Mach one,Ljutic,or Cole. Shoot a K-80 now, and it's not kicking me. Just want avoid futher damage.

4. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

I have fit several people that were having back and neck pains with new stocks and they say that they have less felt recoil than when they were shooting stocks with mechanical recoil devices. One of the best examples is Drew Waller here in Ohio and Peter George in Penn. If you can give them a call, I am sure they will share the experience they had in fitting and receiving fitted stocks. Understanding the dynamics of how a gun moves and understanding how to fit someone goes a long way in reducing felt recoil. If you would care to call me at the shop my number is 330-456-6070.

Dennis DeVault

5. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

Weight and fit on any one of your choice along with softer ammo.

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Thanks Dennis. I may give you a call next week. I've considered a reducer.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Big green, True, and not problem on 16's and doubles. I've not had much success w/ light loads from the 27. Especially in the wind.

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Nothing shooters softer than a Shockmaster G-Square fitted shotgun. I have had many requests to shoot mine and the response has been absolutely positive. Get your stock measurements in advance and then order to specification, you'll have a lifetime of pleasure!

Robert

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Dove Commander,

The softest shooting break open gun that I have ever shot is a Kolar T/S. I have shot three of them so far and you can barely feel them move with a Nitro 27 'caps load.

As far as a recoil system, Nothing and I mean nothing is better than a PFS!! I believe that if you ask around on this site, you will find a lot of people with the same comment. I have shot and owned guns with: Counter Coil, Graco, RAD, and G Squared stocks. They all fail in comparasion to a PFS. The other plus, is that you can make a PFS fit you to a T. Just my opinion though.

ec90t

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, the total recoil will be determined by the weight of the gun, the weight of the shot and the velocity of the shot. The brand of the gun is immaterial to the laws of physics.

Felt recoil will be greatly influenced by stock fit and recoil reducing devices in the stock. Dennis can provide you with a well fit stock. You may also need to consider a Precision Fit Stock. I have not found anything that is superior to a PFS for reducing felt recoil.

Pat Ireland

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As one who has a very problematic shooting shoulder I have tried Softtouch, Gracoil, RadII and PFS. The PFS and 7/8 oz loads allow for pain free shooting. With 11/8 2/3 dram Hdcp loads I still have cumulative (the discomfort comes later) pain. But with the 7/8 load I can shoot 16s and doubles all day with no problems. Vern Brown of PFS fitted my PFS to me and I have made only one small adjustment since. It is my experience that the PFS is the ticket for those of us that have medical problems. Jake

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The gun thats fits you best is the one that will abuse you the least ... That being said there are a lot of people who have turned to the PFS after spending many, many dollars on the rest of the recoil reduction systems that are available ... I never felt like I had an issue with recoil until I shot a PFS and it was not even adjusted to me ... I bought one and have never felt less recoil, after trying many of the other recoil reduction systems I would suggest that you try a PFS and be done with it ... I shoot all handicap loads and they feel like a 20 gauge, if that tells you anything ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The most important thing we need to know is "how much gun weight can you handle with you injuries"...most soft shooting break opens without some kind recoil reduction is going to have a bit of heft to it...and how long could toy handle shooting that amount of weight??

14. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Dennis DeVault has it right. Go to the SOURCE of the problem and fix THAT. Anything else is covering up the source of the problem, but the problem causing the recoil is still there.

15. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I'm not sure why some people can't accept the fact that some guns and loads have softer felt recoil than others. Ever time some makes a post about recoil someone chimes in with this laws of physics stuff. The questions are usally about felt or perceived recoil and really that is all that matters to a shooter anyway. That said go with what ever gun you feel comfortable with and that is in your price range and then have a soft touch or precision fit installed on the gun. I have a soft touch on my sporting / pigeon gun and it make those 3 3/4 pigeon loads tollerable and the handicap loads I shoot for sporting seem like 3 dram 1oz loads

16. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I have had some Ljutic owners tell me the Dynokick is the softest factory gun. Any comments on that? I assume the PFS would suppress recoil more than a Dynokick?

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

What do the PFS cost? Is there a website? Have seen them, but never checked them out.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you want a really soft shooting gun without a recoil device, the best one ever made was the space gun. That 50 cal. firing pin stopped recoil flat. Likewise, the Browing recoiless does the same. you won't feel anything. They just were not popular for many reasons. But, mostly because pepole just did not like the way they looked. Or in the case of the Browing, lock time.

19. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

pfs website www.precisionfitstocks.com contact bob schultz 800-684-6329 he is the man that probably sells more of them then anyone. great guy to deal with and very fair. Joe Rossman--aka motordoc I have one and love it

20. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Thanks motordoc!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.