1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

softest recoiling auto

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

What is the softest recoiling semi-auto trap shotgun?

thanks, jamie

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 1100. Put a lead slug in the front of the mag tube and one in the butt stock to bring the weight of the gun to about 10 lbs. At that weight the recoil disappears. HMB

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

thanks, HMB for your response. I have another question to add this post: How would a benelli supersport with the comfortech stock work for trap.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Browning A-5 with the horn buttplate and alot of oil on the mag tube! JP

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Jamie,

Forget the Benelli for trap. Not that it isn't a good gun, but it's dimensions are for the field and not for trap. It simply isn't designed as a trap gun. If you want to shoot an auto for trap there are two choices, a Remington 1100 Trap or a Beretta 391 Trap. Both are good guns. The 1100 recoils less and is cheaper to buy at about $750 or so (discounted).

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

Jamie, no need to weigh a gun to 10#, get a stock 391 or 390 Beretta, get a Shooter's Emporium soft-touch composite stock that looks like highly figured walnut, you're good to go, the Nitro 27's feel like a 410! anyone with medical issues, small ladies, youngsters, flinching "he men", anyone can benifit!

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another subjective situation. Many here and elsewhere think the Rem. 1100 is the softest shooting shotgun on Earth, others the Berettas. For me, I find the Berettas softer than the 1100 while most would go the opposite direction. I think it based more on fit and something you have to test for yourself. Beg, borrow, or steal (briefly) as many as you can handle and test drive them yourself....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. jerry chipman

jerry chipman Member

Beretta 391 with a mercury reducer on the magazine and one in the stock and of course using 7/8 oz reloads. jc

9. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

10. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well they are all about the same however I have a Winchester Super X2 Practical and I can say shooting high brass OO buck and its very mild. I can only imagine what its like with a normal sporting load. It can shoot 5 OO Buck shells in less then a 1/2 second, in fact the 5th shell will fire before the first one hits the ground. A gun cant kick to much and still be able to be usable being that fast.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

bridgetoofar, normally I would agree with you but I have some rookie at the local gun club shooting one right now and really pounding targets. The Benelli's usually shoot much too flat for me!!

12. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

ive got an 1100 and a beretta 391 elir by ncp products, the 391 is softer for me.

13. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Browning B2000.

14. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

The Beretta A303 hands down!

Dont have to look elsewhere just ask any of the many shooters which shoot one today, would not trade it for a newer or new model semi auto.

Berettaman7

15. DANKIM

DANKIM TS Member

How about the new remington 501 CTI remington says the recoil is lighter than the 1100 and the 1187.

16. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Well, you asked, the softest I ever shot was a High Standard Supermatic. The 391 feels soft for the same reason, takes longer for the action to cycle, but I will never get used to the "bing/bong/chang/twang" of a Beretta.

Even at 9 pounds, I would like to say the SX-1 is lightest, but it isn't, it cycles much too fast to absorb the recoil of the others.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    1187 or 1100.

18. TheNakedGun

TheNakedGun Member

In my opinion the Beretta 391 Parallel target is the lightest recoiling gun but that just my opinion

19. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

1100 with 7/8 oz. loads.

20. dfm

dfm Member

I've used a Benelli SS the past two seasons and can pass along these tidbits in relationship to trap use:

1.) The recoil is somewhere between an O/U and gas auto, leaning towards the auto.

2.) The factory recoil pad, although OK, has a ridge which tends to cut into the shoulder during a long day. I replaced it with a slip on LimbSaver (flat-faced) and all is well.

3.) The gun will run with any type 1oz. or 1 1/8oz. ammo, handload or factory, regardless of velocity. If you want to run 7/8oz. through it a minimum of 1250+fps must be maintained for reliable operation through the four seasons.

4.) I added a Kick Eez stick-on cheek pad (1/4") to get a good sight picture. My gun shoots deadon flat which is want I want. The factory offers two higher cheek pad inserts for a more traditional high shooting gun.

5.) If you don't like cleaning gas guns this is the auto for you. With a bit over 14,000 rounds through mine I pull then CT's out every 500-1000 shots for a cleaning: the bolt/trigger has been wiped down/relubed twice. They will run just about forever with minimum maintenance.

6.) If you get a deflector nub put on the gun make sure to have it installed on the edge of the receiver cover proper - not the barrel extension. Otherwise the bolt going forward will snap it right off.

If you're looking for a heavy, traditional style trap gun the SS isn't for you. If you like a lively, responsive, attack-the-target type gun it'll fit the bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.