1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOFT VS. HARD BARRELS!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    over the years i have bent alot of rem barrels. I always felt they were a soft barrel, very easy to bend. i recently tried to bend a browning bps barrel, the barrel seems alot harder to bend then remington. anyone know if browning barrels are stronger than remington barrels? also how does the industry test the strength of metal they use for their barrels?
    steve balistreri

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Steve, I think is may have something to do with the way they are made. I think the BPS barrels are hammer forged and have noticed that the Beretta barrels made this way are very, very resistant to being bent. There is another well-known, respected brand which I found to be so weak - spaghetti-like in fact - that I was afraid to put any force on them at all when closing a tight case for fear of bending them. Really. The mentioned brand has countless happy owners and wins, so I doubt it makes any difference in performance, however.

Neil

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep in mind that, in general, steel that bends easily is usually stronger, ie resistant to cracking and breaking, than harder steel that will not bend. Hard steel is also brittle steel. Hard and strong are not synonyms.

Pat Ireland

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

steve, I bent one of the first ones to come out and don't recall it being difficult. I also have bent one Broadway that was semi difficult. What method of bending are you using?

5. senior smoke

Pheasantmaster-i tried to bend a bps trap barrel. i placed it in a vice and put a round metal tube in the choke with a handle to raise the poi. i have done it this way with 870 and 1100 barrels and had no problem. i have had no luck trying this method on a bps though. any suggestions?
    steve

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I think Remington changed the material in their barrels sometime in the 80s after a law suit over a barrel that ruptured.

I am not at all sure about the date though.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

steve, although I've bent them in a variety of ways the one I most liked/used was a good forked place in a tree. As for suggestions, a friend of mine here recently bought one of the fancy jig setups that Brownells sales and some have spoke off on here and maybe that is an avenue of approach. I told the friend that I've got a couple recently acquired guns that I'm going to bend and we can try it out. The reason I got to using trees was their availbility in respect to where I could pattern and get the POI I wanted.

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

I'm glad there are still crazy trapshooters out there like you pheasantmaster and senior smoke. It's been many years since I have seen someone bend their barrel on a tree or their bumper. It has always made me wince to see it done but what the hell it works. Crude but effective!

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Sportshot, a person bending a barrel first has to understand the concept of "midevil science technology" to insure 100% effective calculations.

10. Neil Winston

Bending barrels is practical and often necessary. For example, almost all the 303 barrels which I have originally shot to the left. You could tell by simply looking down them. What's the point in shooting a barrel which doesn't shoot where it should, right to left when you can fix it in a couple of minutes?

Similarly, before adjustable combs, bending up for a higher POI was an effective and permanent improvement for many, including starts, lots of them.

Neil

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sportshot,

This may seem like a radical concept to you, but, you verify you have the correct bend by _testing_ it on paper.

(Stick around trapshooting for a while...you may actually learn something)

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Surprise! Barrels on many factory guns are bent up, down, right or left- not necessarily in the direction we can shoot them successfully. Sometimes a good barrel reader can reject a faulty gun before purchasing it. Krieghoff K-80 barrels are easily bent with that little magic wheel on the front of the rib-although not permanently. Gunsmith Glen Hunting and I used to put a little more adjustment on K-80 barrels in a wanted direction by chucking 'em in a lathe and instituting a bend-not very scientific but it worked.

As far as being off an inch or two horizontally-that's why there's 450 pellets in a shell. Many factory barrels are off that much and more!!

13. Neil Winston

sportshot, you may to too new to the sport to remember them, but the starts (yes, lower-case "s" just as with Loral I Delaney (no period after I)) were a nationally-known trapshooting family and both parents - and maybe the kids by now - are in the Kansas HOF. They were famous for their radically up-bent guns with which they won many state championships. I'm sure Pheasantmaster shot with & against them for years; maybe he can fill in the details.

I do wonder however, why you think that bending a barrel would lead to a "pressure spike"? We're not kinking it like a garden hose; just a couple of degrees up or right or wherever-to is plenty.

Neil

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Well Neil there was a Perazzi single I once did kink!

sportshot, there are undoubtedly a number of bent barrels attach to guns on the open market. A gun is a tool for the competitor owner who has a goal of winning. If it don't shoot where you need it to then its useless. Many guns are flat shooters and or off center. For the weak of heart, sell it and move on. You would be very surprised at the number of new guns that are not centered! But today machinists have learned how to change choke inways to alter the impact within reason. I just got a set of O/U barrels back from Eyster which I had this done. I'm sure glad I went this route otherwise I could have been bending them over a bumper in your presence and unfortunately my butt has taken such a beating in life I don't really need it kicked again!

15. senior smoke

when i first started shooting it was common to see shooters bending their barrels. some of them, were all americans. the reason i bend my barrels is to get a higher poi. i am the type of person who can not use an adjustable stock or choke tubes. i would be wearing out the allen screws on the stock and wearing out the choke tube wrench with every poor score that i shoot, which is often. infact i onced purchased a gun with an adjustable stock, once i got it to shoot where i was looking, i cemented the stock in place. nowadays shooters have guns with all the bells and whistles, and i think that is fine. but for me, i do not like adjustable stocks, or choke tubes. i want an old fashioned full choke, and a standard monte carlo stock. if any of you saw leo's rem 1100 years ago, with all his stickers etc, you would understand that each gun is set up the way it's owner wants it to be. to me, a gun has to fit and feel like a worn pair of shoes. if your gun does not fit you, or does not shoot where you look, hang it on a wall, in my opinion the gun is useless.
    steve balistreri

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

THis is a side note for point of interest if anyone has one. The only reason Leo was as effective as what he proved was do to the fact I use to bend his 1100 barrels and not speak of such. I done it for spite but it worked and now you know the rest of the story....

17. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

I remember seeing a picture of Stan Baker standing with a barrel in hand next to a large sand bag on a bench. He was looking at the sand bag as in taking aim like you would with a ball bat. I wish I could find that picture....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.