1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Touch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

They cost a lot but there system and work is impeccable. I love mine and it has made ma a better shooter.

2. Ross Randall

Ross Randall Member

I also got my TMX back yesterday from them. This deal started back in Dec. I was looking for a Soft touch for my TM1. I wanted to fit that one and be able to use it on both guns. After talking to Rob a couple times, they contacted me they had a complete set of wood from a customers gun for a TMX. Anyway to make a long story short they contacted their customer and he said he would sell me his wood complete with soft touch already in it. This wood is not Perazzi wood but custom wood as well. It is beautiful. I bought it from him through them. I sent them my TMX, so they could fit it and make sure all was ok. Just got it back yesterday. Very pleased with it and the service as well. Pleased enough I am on the list for a soft touch for my TM1.

I had the soft touch system back in the 90's when I was shooting then.

I have had 3 heart attacks, now have a pacemaker and 7 stints. Recoil can be an issue for me. Doctors have told me to cut it down as much as possible. I do not like semiautos. (Personal preference here.) I like Perazzis, always have.

Ross Randall

3. stra5567

stra5567 TS Member

Does soft touch really have the least recoil of all the different systems?

4. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Stra5567, from what I've experenced, yes....

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have had all most all of them at some time or another. While they all reduce recoil some do it in a better way. The soft touch reduces recoil in a very smooth way where is something like the PFS is more clunky. The hydraulic system in the soft touch is silky smooth where a spring system just isn't. Once you shoot a gun with a Soft touch you will see for your self what I am talking about. Try and find somebody who has a Soft Touch that will let you shoot there gun and report back with the results. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try hitting a Soft Touch hydraulic system with a big hammer, and see how much it moves and reduces recoil. Then try the same method with a Shockmaster "G" Squared air stock. You will see a difference. Likewise, with the PFS, air or any of the spring types. Hydraulic fluid doesn't move quick enough to be really effect in my opinion. Adjustable air pressure is the best system but lacks stock adjustability like the PFS.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have owned many, many Soft Touch guns and stocks as well as many G-Squared stocks. I am not a fan of the soft touch when compared to a G-Squared.

Plus you get the added benifit of replacing the Soft Touch Cylinder every few years to the tune of 150.00. I hear guys say that they have never replaced the cylinder on their guns and had then had them show me the guns and the cylinder on that same gun is shot and they don't even know it.

For the money spent the G-squared is my choice every time. If I didn't shoot auto's I would try the PFS as I know lots of guys who have them and they all love them.

To each his own. I wouldn't buy a Soft Touch if it was 500.00 installed. Jeff

8. MOP

MOP Active Member

I've had several Soft-touch's and several G2's. They are both effective recoil reducers,. I prefer the G2, but that's just my opinion.

9. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Damn Jeff, just tell me how you really feel!

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I wish my soft touch was $500 installed but I am quite sure there is $500 in screws alone in it. jeff what you said about the soft touch is my words exactly on the gsquared. Isn't a square something to do with a fag. Just asking.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have had problems with G2 square air cylinders, his dad would replace them, send you a new one and you returned your bad one, his son now the owner will not do this.

Remove the cyl from the gun and put it in a glass of water and watch the air leak around the shaft on the ones that won't hold air pressure, they are very small bubles. Would not hold air pressure for more than a few days.

I called and tried to get a replacement cyl. no deal, wanted old one first whic required loss of use of the gun, never again.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That is the diffrence between a leaking G-squared cylinder and a soft touch. With the soft touch it isn't a question of you not having a working unit while they replace it. When the hydraulic unit starts to leak it' over and the only part of the unit that still works is the spring. The good thing is that they can send you one and replacing it is simple.

The one leaky G-squared unit I had was over 20 years old and on a stock I purchased. I was able to pump it up and shoot for many weeks before it needed to be pumped up again. I sold the gun and never replaced the unit.

You see soft touch units all the time that the only thing working is the the spring and the guy shooting it has no idea.

I have only had one g-Squared unit leak and it was on a stock I purchased. I have not had one leak that I had built and this is one of the main reasons I would not own another soft touch.

Maybe the new system they have is better but that hydraullic unit is the weak spot of the whole system.

13. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Hi Jeff, I haven't even had time to shoot my gun with the Soft Touch yet. I just shoot club trap which is enjoyable to me. My intent here was to thank Soft Touch for a job well done. To me I don't know who makes the best product just thanking them for the way they helped me. I also appreciate your and others opinion. Thanks everyone........Dan.

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Who shoots more than the big-dogs? What do they use?I continue to watch K and Debby Kayohye---They still use a nice fitted stock----Haven't seen K for a yr but last yr he was still pumping away with his old K-gun fitted stock...
    Just wondering---They could use any one out there----SJB

15. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

Soft touch service was great, love the way it works and looks nice on the gun. If you can't afford a prosoft then soft touch in the only choice. Just my opinion.

Matt Colman

16. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I love my soft touch.

17. SoTo

SoTo Active Member

Thank you for the your kind word and for sharing your experience Goose, Mr. Randall, MDMike, Matt and Hotrod67 and to all of you for your support and feedback good and bad. We do read these forum threads and use the info to improve our processes and our parts. Don't know why anyone would take a big hammer to there gun parts, might want to take some anger management sessions shot410ga...haha... The cylinder we originally used did leak, that's why we got with the manufacturer and specially designed the unit we use today.

18. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    First of all, thank you to all of you who jumped in here and gave us a verbal thumbs up, I appreciate it more than you know. Actually, and really, thank you to all of you who had nice things to say about both of us, especially to Hotrod67 for starting this thread (BTW: my hot rod is a 69 GTO). We all work very hard and to see nice things said about us on here means a great deal.

Mr. Bryant: Here we go again... LOL... Your first sentence is either the result of a very poor memory, or an utter and complete fabrication. In other words, you're full of sh**! The first stock we did for you was well after my father retired from this business, and I am the only person with whom you've ever dealt with here. For those who weren't fortunate enough to be around the last time Mr. Bryant brought this up, this stems from a time when Mr. Bryant called me complaining that his Shockmaster had a slow leak (an unusual occurance, but it happens now and then). We have never had a program where you call us and have us send you a brand new reducer just anytime you personally deem it necessary and proper, and take it on faith that we will sometime receive your old used one back. Never!!! I offered at the time, as I always do still today, to promise (when necessary) a 1 working day or less turnaround to rebuild the old reducer. This costs $35.00 plus shipping ($50.00 plus shipping with a new piston). If you pay for next day both ways, you will have it back in 3 days or less. For those who are willing to pay for next day, I can often ship back out the same day. For those who live close to me and can drive here, I'll rebuild it while you wait. Gary, as I pointed out last time; These air shock absorbers are expensive to produce, and easily rebuildable to like new condition. so what would I do with this collection of yours and others old reducers... Put them on the next new Shockmaster system I sell? Trade them to the next hot head who demands a new reducer because his is worn? The typical time to need a rebuild on these is not for at least 3 to 5 years and usually (most often) much longer. If you'd been a little more mature about it, and a bit less foot stomping, I very likely would have turned it around to you the same day I got it, and you'd still be shooting the best recoil reduction system out there instead of something else.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

southjblue;

Lot's of people shoot all their lives without need of a recoil device. It's not a matter of weather or not a big dog does or not use a recil device. I know guys who have hydraullic reloaders who only shoot two cases of shells a year. Why? They have bad backs and the action of pulling the handle is something they CAN"T do.

The same is true of recoil systems and many shooters. Some guys shoot them because they are sensative to recoil and others because 1 ounce loads and a good recoil device is the only way they can keep in the game do to health reasons.

You can get a GraCoil for cheap or up grade to Ken Rucker's Bumpbuster's for more or you can get a soft Touch or a G-Squared. Then if you really have some coin you can get a stock lock.

I know guys who own every one of these devices and they are 100% happy and the device does what it needs to do for them.

It doesn't mean it's the best device, it just means that it is good enough for them. The guys who have owned all of them will tell you that they all have good traits. Jeff

20. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Do yourself a favor and look into a Slick Slide by Carry Barron (Used to be the Clyde Slide). He is installing my 2nd Slick Slide as we speak on my Cynergy Classic Trap. I have had the first on my XT Trap for 3 years. Adjustable comb, padded, up down, side to side and it moves foward and back with the reduction system so it is stationary. Spring cylinder operates smooth as silk and needs little if any maintenance. Can be installed for under $600 including shipping. Won't find a nicer guy than Carry. I have a bad shoulder and I can shoot all day without feeling anything. Amazing! I still remember when I first shot with it I had 5 25/25 rounds out of 9. Good for me. I know there are complex expensive systems out there but why waste the money.

Just my 2 cents.

~Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pete elson recoil reducer