1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft touch question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by George MT., Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

I have a silver seitz with a soft touch/non magnetic recoil device and have the following queston Im hoping someone can help me with.There is a fair amount of travel as the unit compresses and I would like to cut down on the travel and maybey stiffen up the action on the soft touch.Will I damage the soft touch in any way by using a pretty stout compression spring?Thanks in advance for any replies. George Jr.

2. George MT.

THanks for the reply, The seitz does not have much recoil to begin with so I was worndering if anyone has put some stiffer than usual springs in thiers?I dont need alot of recoil reduction,just alittle,but I definately need to reduce the amount of travel on the device.

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

I think you need to do a trial and error test on your own as the way you hold your gun, the density of your wood, your build, your ammo will not be the same as the next guy.

4. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

George,they do make heavier springs, even for shooting pigeon loads. Just call them and they will send you what you need. As far as limiting the travel I install small peel and stick on cabinet door bumpers as close to the center as possible. This also eliminates the chance of getting your neck skin pinched when the unit collapses under recoil.I have seen this happen to my better half and leave a nasty blood blister and saw one other person bleed a fair amout after getting bit in the neck. The bumpers will keep this from ever happening. You may not have ever heard of this happening but I know several people that it has happened to and it is very painful if it does.

Bob Malmstedt

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I bought a used 11-87 Trap that had a soft touch installed on it. It moved a lot and made the gun feel mushy. I either had to change my gun mount or the gun. Being a tinkerer, I took the spring out, went down to the local hardware store, and found a spring with the same diameter, but harder compression. I cut it to length and put everything back together. Now I am able to mount the gun in my normal manner, without feeling the stock start to collapse, but it still absorbs recoil when it is shot. Total cost of the fix, about $2. Mark

6. George MT.

Hey Mark, ulitimately that is what I did in this case also.I was finally able to shoot the gun last nite and was pleased with the results.I did not have alot of recoil but was able to mount the gun with my ususal amount of preassure.I purchased a few different springs and will probably try a few different ones to get it exactly the way I want. Thanks for the replys

7. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I have the Mag Lock model with titanium rods, etc. It is a very effective recoil reducer, but even with a firmer setting it will "break" fairly easy. On the other hand that probably promotes more consistent gun mounting. Strangely with the mag lock system, if you just pull it back against your shoulder you will hear it break away, but in shooting the gun it is not a noticeable sound. Again, it is effective but a little $$pendy$$.

Larry

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If my memory serves me right, the heaviest spring is .040 in diameter, anyway I have the heavy one, I bought several, and they do make a difference.

You need to MIKE mic the spring to see which one you have.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

My heavier one is .090 if I remember right. Ray.......

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just got mine out and mic'd it it is a .080

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. SoTo

SoTo Active Member

Hello All:

George Jr./George MT: The SoftTouch has just under 3/4" travel for recoil absorption. We do offer a variety of spring caliper sizes - 0.080, 0.085, 0.090, 0.095 and a pigeon set-up which consists of the 0.095 spring and a smaller spring that is installed on the shaft of the cylinder. The higher the spring number the more tension you will feel on the system. The spring plays a very negligible role in recoil reduction, but a very important role in recover/reset and mounting tension. If you feel you are collapsing the SoftTouch system when you mount the gun, a stronger spring will help or you can convert to a Supreme Magnet Lock system which is completely and easily adjustable for tension. If the system still feels mushy, your cylinder may be going bad. If you can compress the shaft of the cylinder easily with your thumb then it is definitely bad. If there are scratches on the shaft, oil can leak out and reduce the effectiveness of the cylinder and eventually it will not be able to absorb the recoil energy.

Bob Malmsted/ Ka-Bo: If your comb is pinching you, please let us fix it. Everyone has different size cheeks and necks so we probably need to relieve the comb space in the back to accommodate your specific body structure. This is an easy and very very quick fix.

Mark/Oregunner: If you cylinder feels mushy it is probably bad. Can you push in the shaft easily with your thumb? You will notice a world of difference in the amount of recoil reduction when you have a fully functioning cylinder.

I encourage each of you to give us a call or email us. We stand by our products and services and would love the chance to make whatever adjusts we need to your respective SoftTouch systems and your stocks so that they are a better fit to your body, your shooting style and your personal preferences.

Beth Hulcy
    SoftTouch Custom Stocks (fka Shooters Emporium)
    800-323-7940

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.