1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft top combs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Francis Marion, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

OK guys, I'm opening up the flood gates.You need good info, screw wickipedia, screw the mainstream media, go right to the source. Been thinking about a soft top comb. Info and a good source would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They're good.

John C. Saubak

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Enjoy them.

Greg Hissem is your man at 316-706-0395

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Steve,

I have used them on several guns. As mentioned by Martin above, Greg Hissem is very good. I had him do one on a BT99 for me. Also, you can try Ken Rucker of Speedbump Stockworks, Todd Nelson of The Country Genleman, Rod Stumbo of Rod's Custom Stocks, Tron of Tronspace Gunworks, Tom Larkin of The Stock Shop, plus many others that I forgot to mention. There are several options out there. Are you wanting a duplicate soft comb, or just making your comb, a soft comb?

Matt Woodson

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Agree with pheasantmaster!

Greg Hissem.

Curt

6. Francis Marion

Matt,
    Which ever is the better way to go. I know both are a possibility. Probably cheaper to do mine, right.

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Think about this I have had a soft top comb did,t like it at all . If you do YOUR comb on your gun it may hurt resale ?? But if you have one made it,s a plus .

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Steve,

Before having a soft comb installed, might it not be worth investigating what might be creating the need for one? Why treat a symptom while ignoring the cause?

Rollin

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Steve,

Yes, it is cheaper to use your existing comb. But as ALF99 stated it may hurt resale of gun. Some people like them and some don't. If you have your regular comb plus the addition of a seperate Soft Comb....it may help resale. Also, as mentioned above by Rollin, why are you considering a Soft Top? If it cheek slap, there may be a better and cheaper solution. If you want one because it feels better to you....then go for it.

Matt Woodson

10. Francis Marion

Good point on getting to the heart of the real problem. Already did that. Worked with one of the stock guys at the Missouri Fall handicap. He pointed out my fit issues and I adjusted the stock accordingly. Feels great now, just a ton different then before. Slowly getting used to it. I was mostly curious about them. The one guy who I know that does have one loves it.I just wanted some more feed back. I also e-mailed Greg Hissem, waiting for a reply.I e-mailed Tom Larkin a week ago, no reply yet.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've used one for many years. Can't shoot a hardtop without bleeding.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I use a soft comb (gooey comb) on my precision fit stock. Like Barry, I can't get through a round without a stock drawing blood otherwise (I even have had the 28ga open me up before I went to a soft comb). A lack of padding in the cheeks, and high, sharp cheekbones will do it every time.

What brand of gun are you looking to get a soft comb for? You may want to consider a Gooey comb (for which I am a dealer), if you let me know what kind of gun you want to put it on, there may be a drop-in unit available for you.

13. DANNY

DANNY Member

Steve, If there is any way possible, try someone else gun that has one on it before having yours done. Allems made a real nice one for my KX5, they made it from scratch because I did not want to modify my factory comb, gun had a nice piece of wood on it. I used it a couple of times & did not like it at all. It is still sitting on top of the gun cabinet. That was about 2 yrs. ago. Danny

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Got a perazzi soft top comb stock for sale. Good condition, plain P gun wood, no forearm...$450.

PM me.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you have a Pgun and their adjustable stock, theirs is, in my opinion, the best soft top. Zero maintenance.

16. Francis Marion

I knew the thread warriors wouldn't disappoint. You need info, TS.COM is your place. I have an XT combo. Grag Hissem replied to my e-mail last night.He was very informative and willing to guve me a few tips to avoid getting a soft top. What a guy. If I do decide to move forward with this, I will definately have him do it. The info about cheekbones makes sense to me. My face is far from the fat side, with high cheekbones. I even asked him about a soft top rollover comb. Don't know if it's possible, but looks comfortable.I would also have him do a seperate comb, not the factory.

17. Francis Marion

Going to give it another month or so before I decide to go with a soft top or not. Greg Hissen made a suggestion that seems to be working. Very helpful and willing to work with you. Even for free. If I do get one, Greg Hissen will definately get my business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

greg hissen stockworks

i went to an adjustable soft topcomb

soft top comb for shotguns

soft top shotgun comb