1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft top comb- where to find foam?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Well, the soft top comb on my gun failed over the weekend. Cover started peeling off, and when I went to tack it back on, it pulled off the rest of the way, it had about as much adhesion as a post-it note. When it came off, it took some of the foam with it. I called the stock smith that converted it for me, and he is unable to repair it for me before my next shoot (I was told there is too much of a back log to get to it, even if I overnighted it to him), and will be unavailable for the next month, so I'm left high and dry with no comb for my stock and 5 shoots in the next 6 weeks.

Does anyone have any leads on what kind of foam is appropriate? I tried a couple of different ones that I found locally, but nothing is quite right. The stock smith told me it was orthotic foam, but didn't offer to send me any, and when I inquired as to the place to buy the foam myself, I was told it wouldn't be cost effective for me to do so...

2. high 2

high 2 Member

I use a closed cell foam. Not sure what it was designed for. I bought a 4`x8` sheet when I found the right stuff. It was about $200 6 years ago. Let me know if you want me to send you some. Larry

3. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

May I ask who is your (stock smith)? I have one by larry sheeze great job has lasted for 12 years now.

4. skeet_man

I'd prefer not to name names right now, since I still need to send this comb back at some point to be made right.

BTW, the come was done back in August.

5. releasebob

releasebob Member

Put a gooey comb on it,costs less than a softcomb and works better.If your gonna put the cover back on your use NAPA headliner adhesive part # 765-1826 it will never come off again.BOB

6. skeet_man

Gooey comb is actually on the way, ordered a new one from George this afternoon after I posted here. I've used gooey products for years, I was just hoping to find something a little more durable in the soft comb (I burn through gooey pads and combs in about a year), a plan which backfired in spades LOL

7. drejw2

drejw2 Member

what tigman46 said.

8. dentexark

dentexark Member

Ian,
    I'm sure you know of cheek-eze products. I've used them on three skeet guns with great results..

Here is a picture of one on my SX1. I have a thin one on my Kolar Max Skeet.

[​IMG]

9. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Ian,

Sent you a pm. I can rebuild your comb for you.

Chad

10. skeet_man

Just FYI, the original post is a year old.

11. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

I see that now.

Chad

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Oh well, I found the foam for a wrist rest for your computer is about what I needed. Ray

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Ian send it to me and I will ship it out the very next day. I can put vinyl or cloth on it.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

soft comb pads

soft top comb pad