1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft shot and significantly degraded performance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Do you experience significantly degraded performance with chilled shot for trap especially in 17 F weather?

I used 1 oz Remington #8 Game Loads today and took a whoopin'.

It was windy, the birds were climbing and even banking, and it was cold.

I found I was shooting a bit low and adapted by covering them more.

My results (out of 25!) were off by a stunning 7 birds off long term summer averages. Could have been a major brain fart as well. I am not too worried about it but curious though.

thanks

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Alot of very good scores shot before Mag shot came about . But I thought 1 oz. was the cats meow ??

ALF

3. abiezer

abiezer Guest

It's not the soft shot per se',
    although soft shot doesn't perform as well as hard shot,
    for singles, it won't matter a hill of beans.
    It's the remington game loads that are the problem.
    I've vowed to never buy another box of those,although the hulls reload nice.
    I've even given rem game loads to other trap shooters who we're consistently crushing targets with other loads just to prove the theory that they are terrible,and my findings we're confirmed.
    I don't know what it is with rem game loads,but they do suck..
    I've never had any problem with any other brand of budget load on singles.
    I've heard rem gun club are better,but don't know if they still make em,
    but steer clear of rem game loads.

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I shoot nothing but soft shot as it is a little heavier and it does a great job for me. Ray......

5. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

I'm mostly a Sporting shooter and the Remington 1 ounce game load is one of my favorite easy to get and cheap shell. I have posted some of my best scores shooting them in Tournaments and I'm in NSCA Master Class. I have shot thousands of them. What impressed me most was how hard they hit distant targets although I normally carry one box of AA's for the far targets in Tournaments , usually 1 to 2 stands.

Sounds to me more of a problem with the Indian and less the arrow.

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

It ain't the bullets

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

When it is cold, powders burn slower. The dense air tends to open patterns. Shooters wear a lot of clothing. This reduces movement and alters gun fit. Soft shot will produce some irregular patterns at long range handicap distances but from the 16 yard line, it is fine.

My advice is on a cold, windy day, buy 4-8 boxes of cheap shells with soft shot. Sit the boxes on a shelf in your gun room. Stay in your gun room and reload shells all day long. Take both you and the cheap shells to the club when it warms up.

Pat Ireland

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Thanks,

I know there were too many variables in the pie that day to blame just the shells but I have never had a crash like that either and I have been shooting trap for many years. However, I had not used those shells before, nor had I allowed my ammo to get that cold before, nor was it that windy etc etc.

My kid beat me with Gun Clubs and he had the high score for that squad with an 18.

Did I say it was windy? It was uneven gusts as well!

Indian (0) arrows (won)

So I just had to ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.