1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft-shooting shotgun for father-son recreation?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EricWesttown, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricWesttown

EricWesttown TS Member

My 13-year-old and I have been enjoying shooting 22's at the range. We are hoping to move up to trap shooting at our local range, and need a recemmendation on a shotgun. Ideally, it would be a gun we could hunt with if we ever get good enough to consistently hit a moving target. Recoil is my biggest concern. We were intitally steered to synthetic Benelli's -- like the Cordoba and SuperSport, but reviiews about kickback seem mixed. Others have suggested the Beretta 391 -- best if we could get the 391 Teknys, apparently -- but again, some mixed reviews about quality of ribs and other parts. Those are all $1500 guns, and I'd sure like to see if there are less expensive choices. Lastly, is 12-gauge the way to go? (folks have said that a light load will be comparable to 20-gauge). Thanks for helping the newcomers. Eric and Jonah

2. roundRiver

roundRiver TS Member

Check out the 28 gauge guns. Browning BPS is a nice pump. Well made and shoots good too.

I would start with a pump or double barrel. Doubles are more expensive so judging by your response leads me to the recommendation.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

While the 28 gauge is a nice choice for upland game or skeet, the cost and availability of the ammunition is a major issue. My guess is that you will pay a $2 to $3 premium per box of 25 for 28 gauge over 12 gauge. There is just not much 28 gauge ammo sold.

I recommend a used Remington 1100 or 1187 trap grade in 12 gauge. Use 1 oz trap loads (1180 FPS) and the recoil is very, very light. 1 oz. field loads (1290 FPS) are more robust and could produce unpleasant recoil.

If you go with a used 1100 trap grade and you want to trade up to whatever, you will probably get most of your money back, if not a little more, from a well kept 1100 trap in trade.

I would look for a 1980's (scroll receiver) 1100 TB trap.

Remington 1100's are easy to clean and need to be cleaned every 500 rounds.

Ed Ward

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

eric- i sent you an email-- wud enjoy visiting with you on the phone wally riebesell 660-744-4115

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There is an 1187 for sale on TS.com right now for $650. Would be a great gun. Soft recoil, easy to clean.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Another gun that seems to be overlooked quite a bit for a new shooter is one of the H&R Topper Trap guns. They are priced very reasonable, $300 +or-, and would be a good place to start. They are easy to operate and a fella could buy 2 for what a good used 1100 runs. Nothing wrong with a good 1100 as I own a few.

If I recall, Tron did a great write-up on this gun a while back.

ss

7. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

My 13 year old just started trap a couple of weeks ago and has been shooting an 870 Wingmaster 12g. With a target load he has no problem shooting 50 shells at a time. Today he hit a 31 of 50. I'm going to be getting him an 870 Classic Trap. I think for the price, history and kick, the 870 is great all around gun.

Blueraven

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Buy a pair of used 1100's and get them fit to you especially the one for your son. Please don't make him try and learn to shoot with an adult length stock unless he has unusually long arms. If lookong at Berettas, 303/390/391's are all good choices without problems associated with.

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

+1 for the 1100/1187. Great guns that can go to the field. Definitely get a 12 gauge. Anything less and you will be buying another gun to shoot trap with.

10. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

My 10yr old shoots the mod. 1100 in 16ga. and I am keeping my eyes open for a 12ga. as I too have heard that the light load 12s would be better on recoil.
    The 16ga. shells have been readily available untill this weekend when I had to drive downtown and pay twice as much because my local store was out.
    Find someone who will let your son shoot an 1100 12ga.
    If he likes it, that would be my choice.

Enjoy.

11. plumbcrazyjr

plumbcrazyjr TS Member

i just purchased a winchester sx2 and have to say that it is the lightest recoiling 12 i have ever owned

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you have a PM happy shooting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.