1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

soft shooting 12 ga. for wife needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

My wife shoots an 11-87 with my 1oz @ 1250 reloads with no discomfort.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Correct gun fit, and the correct way to shoulder it. Wayne

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

A standing breech gun will recoil more than a gas operated gun. A heavy gun will recoil less than a light gun. Light shells will recoil less than heavy shells. A well fitting gun will have less recoil than a poorly fitted gun. A Precision Fit Stock will reduce recoil more than any other device I have tried and I have tried a lot of them.

Another option is to convince your wife that scoring is a lot of fun. She could then work at the club while you shoot.

Pat Ireland

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I agree with Wayne. With that being said I had a 391, I liked the gun but it recoiled a little much for me. I went to an 1100 which I consider quite a bit softer. I am currently shooting 3/4 oz. loads with a full choke and it's great from 16 yds and as soft as you can get. Mike.

5. huntinmama

huntinmama TS Member

Have heard the beretta is a woderful womens gun. Try looking at the beretta 3901rl, it was made with smaller women/kids in mind. length of pull is shorter. Have shoulder one, and want one. Never tried it, but have tried a bt99. this sounds weird but i shoot with a benelli super nova. heavy gun, but little recoil. i shoot 1 oz. loads at 1150, that i have custom loaded. I can stand and shoot all day. I am 5' 6" 125 lbs,and yes it is a 12ga. My very small 13yr boy loves to shoot it. says it kicks just a little more than his 870 with 3/4 oz loads. It is all in how the gun fits, take her to the store and let her shoulder some guns! I hunt with this gun and do trap with the kids/women, and the others at the range are very surprised at my gun. we switch around for the fun of it and no one is disapointed in mine. But i arm muscles too and that makes huge diff, i can hold the gun up all day. So is your wife strong in the arms, if not be looking at lighter gun she can hold up and not get alot of strain in her neck and shoulders. other wise she will come away sore from that and think it might be the recoil bothering her. If she is going to shoot it she should be in on the buying of it. Get her a cute (womens, browning makes a pink/brown one) shooting vest, ear protection and she will feel more confident when she starts out :)

6. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Wayneo is right. Correct fit and a GOOD coach to get her started. Miranda Wilder, 16, maybe 95 lbs. women's bunker champ, '06, Perazzi O/U, Lacy King, 16, maybe 85 lbs. 12 Ga. O/U, Caitlin Barney-Weinheimer, 19, 110 lbs, Perazzi O/U, Corey Cogdell, etc. These young women shoot bunker where they frequently take the second shot. That's a lot of punishment but they never flinch. The gun has to fit. If she's taught by a GOOD coach she can handle any 12 ga.
    Paul Bobby

7. tp

tp TS Member

All good suggestions. Shooters Emporium makes a verson of their SoftTouch recoil reduction system for the Beretta 391 at a reasonable price. Cole Gunsmiths sells a spring kit for the 391 that will also help reduce recoil.

8. warren

warren Member

I agree with Pat scoring is the answer,it's cheaper too.

warren

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My daughter is 12 and shoots a Perazzi mx8 with a soft touck recoil system, her first gun was a citori 20 gauge..on her first shot with the P-gun and soft touch she looked at me with a puzzled looks and said.. this gun doeant have any POWER>>!! lol.. After that I knew the soft touch was thing..

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

Try an 1100 first; you can cut the stock down easily if necessary. The 1100 is the gun of choice for the young women that come to our club because it doesn't need any recoil reduction help. A 7/8 or 1 ounce 12 ga load is all they need to break targets and keep them from losing interest.

There are a ton of aftermarket stocks around for them at good prices and if/when she decides to move up to another gun you can get your money back. Check out some of the articles by " Average Ed" on this subject.
    John

11. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

My 15 year old daughter shoots a K80 Lightweight with a 34" unsingle and a PFS stock. Light enough for her to handle well, fits perfectly and no recoil.

BR1

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Love the 391 parallel comb. My wife shoots one now and then when she feels like shooting a bit. However, the bolt on an autoloader can be dangerous and slice and dice a finger. I was chastised for buying her that gun by a former All-American who had a friend lose a finger in an autoloader when not being careful.

Other opinions welcomed.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nothing recoils less than a Beretta 390, and with a soft-touch, even better. I own a 301,a 303, a 390 and a 391.

14. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

buy her this 303- lop is 14"- take out the stock spacer to get it to 13 3/4". the 30 " barrel is fine but i could swap out a 28" mobil choked . i have sold dozens of these to young or new shooters. a woman had last shot this gun-thus the shorter stock! lite weight, very low recoil, will shoot 1oz 23/4 dr loads.- for the money you cant go wrong with a beretta auto!!- i have one other short lop 303 as well-- welcome to call me- wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst
    [​IMG]

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I own all the guns mentioned in addition to other autoloaders. They all have a place. I like Beretta's for function only. They are the hardest kicking of all the autoloaders. partially because of the gas system and part because they are light. I have a Beretta 390 with a G-square recoil device and it is a very soft shooter. I also have an 1100 with a J&S air cushion and a Baker big bore barrel. That is the softest kicking gun on the planet. Gun fit is important but a gun that kicks less to start with well fitted it better still. If a woman hurts when she shoots she will lose the desire to be a shooter. Light shells in an 1100 would be my suggestion or a Beretta with a recoil system. As I said... I own all the models listed and I am well known for my aversion to felt recoil. Let your wife shoot two guns that fit her, an 1100 and a Beretta. I bet she will pick the 1100. Good luck1 jeff

16. 20yard

20yard TS Member

i shoot a beretta teknys, it is really soft shooting. the gas operated mechanism works great and from 7/8 to heavy 1 1/8 functions well. i think its perfect for recoil worry. the gun is however long with a 32" barrel and a long stock standard willneed fitted proper barrel length for her to fit and swing comfortably

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 gauge shotgun softest shooting
soft shooting 12 ga
softest 12 g recoil made
softest shooting 12 ga shotguns

softest shooting 12 gauge

softest shooting shotgun