1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Shooters?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Curious, I just read on here that a gun is a "soft" shooter. Which guns are considered the "softest" shooters w/o recoil reducing mods?

2. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

A gas gun.

A heavy gun.

A gun that fits you.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

That 'bout says it!

Keller

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The OP specified<blockquote><I>"Which guns are considered the "softest" shooters w/o recoil reducing mods?"</i> [W/0 means "without"!]</blockquote>

Keller

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not the Winchester 101

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks, I know about autos,weight,and fit,loads etc. all the obvious stuff but some guns are just DOGs to shoot.I have owned a couple of Beretta combo's that bit like a witch!

I have shot several K80's for over 15 years and think they are soft shooters. I just bought a Perazzi TMS and can not believe how "soft" it shoots w/o any mods.

Just curious on your experiences.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There are a couple of Browning Recoiless's for sale, down below. About as soft as you can get.

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I am very recoil sensitive, and when I wanted to upgrade from my BT99 with
    Soft Touch to a combo gun, I bought a Beretta 682 Gold E Combo and it "bit like a witch" too. I had to put another $1,000 worth of Soft Touch/padded comb mods on it to make it shoot soft. I still shoot it and love it.

The only break-open gun I ever shot without modifications that I considered "bonafide" soft is an old Charles Daley that one of the kids on my SCTP team shoots. It belonged to his grandmother who shot a lot of trap with it many years ago. I can see why she liked it. Other than that, the Browning Recoilless is THE softest shooting 12 gauge ever, followed by the Beretta 391 & Remington 1100s...

9. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks for your comments!I too have noticed so many high end guns like Seitz, Afferman,the Perazzi newer high rib models and others that all have recoil reducing hardware added at great cost. I just wonder why?

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you don't have to take the recoil (by means of a recoil reducer), why would you?

I'm actually surprised that everyone doesn't have some sort of recoil reducer in their gun.

Some people have the idea that because they shoot a gun without a recoil reducer, shoot heavy loads, ect they are more manly. Unfortunately for them, they are typically the ones that end up with uncontrollable flinches and are driven from the game because they've been pounded into submission by recoil over the years.

If people installed recoil reducers on their guns from the get go, there would be VERY little need for release triggers...

11. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

My winchester super x model 1 is pretty soft and its an excellent gun.

12. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

Ljutic Monogun. Bought used with a hole drilled in the butt stock. Apparently a former owner drilled it out for a recoil reducer. In that hole I put a 7oz Gracoil, Beretta 391 stock bolt weight that I had and wrapped it with tape and stuffed with cotton to keep it still and that's it. Gun shoots softer than my heavier than any 391 that I've picked up Technys 391 and my 1100. Andy they were soft shooters. For fun, I shot a couple of rounds of AA Super Handicap 1250s and they were soft but loud as hell even with NR33s. Too loud a muzzle report can cause a flinch too. Jennifer I have a couple of shooting buddies who have/had 682s who told me the same. One did everything he could to tame it except a Soft Touch and it still pounded heavier than his Caesar Guerini.

Robert Houston

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Even with the Soft Touch on my 682, I still ocassionally flinch. I shoot 1 oz loads, too. But the Soft Touch really made the big difference. If I was going to do anything further, it would be to install a Super Gooey pad by Trapdude, but I sort of like the Kickeez pad that's on it now...

14. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

SKB unsingle

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have shot many guns that according to manufacturer's specifications are the same but the felt recoil is different. Seems the density of the wood used to make the stock has a direct effect on felt recoil. That said, I am a strong believer in keeping the fun in the game and buying the best recoil system you can afford. An old saying is "making a silk purse of a sows ear" but I believe adding an effective recoil system to even a moderately priced target shotgun is worth the cost. Example, I have a BT99 with a PFS stock that provides little felt recoil and will break any clay target as long as I do my part. The gun cost me less than the stock but the combination is a dream. KEEP IT FUN

Robert

16. Slugo

Slugo Member

Remington 1100 or a Beretta A303. Both as soft as a baby's bottom...

17. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

My new Krieghoff KX-6 is a very soft shooting single barrel. Many have tried it and all say that felt recoil is very minimal. Krieghoff has somehow figured out how to minimize felt recoil without any recoil reducing hardware. The KX-5 and KS-5's that I have tried are also very good at minimizing felt recoil.

18. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I have 2 1100 Remingtons. The first is an 1100 trap with no recoil reducing additions....... very minimal felt recoil, with target loads it is not even noticeable. The second is the 1100 Competition Synthetic. It is about 1 lb heavier at 9.3 lbs and has the Ken Rucker bump buster and the West stocks. There is zero felt recoil. The Bump Buster comes with 3 sets of springs and I have the heaviest installed.... No Felt Recoil....... Larry

19. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

870 = NOT

20. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I shot somebody's Beretta pintail a few weeks back - it's an auto but you sure wouldn't know it. It had the worst felt recoil and an awful sight picture! It was as bad as an 870 riot gun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.