1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

soft recoiling trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

i have a bad shoulder.need to get a soft shooting trap gun. i have a m-32 w/a pfs now but can't shoot a round of trap.need suggestions for a new gun w/recoil reducer.surgery on shoulder not a option. thank you.

Tracy

2. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Depending on your budget, I have shot a Baker auto it is very soft. Beretta 300 series, 301, 302, 390, 391, are all soft and reliable. Add a Trap Dude recoil pad, a KO recoil reducer and 1 oz loads should be like a BB gun. Make the needed adjustments to make it fit will be prime.

3. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Certainly an Auto is the way for you to go. To that add light 1 oz loads with just enough ummph to work the auto and a recoil reducer butt plate and enough weight to dampen the push.

4. shaggist

shaggist Member

Find a buddy with a Winchester Super X-1 to shoot. One of these with a recoil reducer and a Kick Eez Pad and 1 oz. loads, and you'll be able to shoot a full program every day.
    Jack

5. BillJ

BillJ Member

Browning Recoiless

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

$8000 will get you a Butler. $750 will get you a Browning Recoilless, $4000 will get you a Ljutic Space Gun, $2500 will get you a Ljutic Dynokick, take your pick.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I feel your pain - literally. I have arthritis in most of my joints and while I do not mind recoil ON my shoulder, pain IN my shoulder can make the next day unpleasant. As far as break-open guns go, I find the Beretta line with Optima barrels to be very soft shooting - more so than my K-80 and KX-5 with a custom-fitted stock. But from the sounds of your condition, an autoloader is your best bet and any fixed-breech shotgun will deliver more felt recoil than one with a "floating" breech like an autoloader.

While I've never shot any other autoloader than my 1100TT, I hear from users that Beretta autoloaders don't shoot as soft as 1100s but are more durable. However, the maintenance and occasional part replacements that an 1100 might require are minor and easily performed. My 1100 is 30 years old; I don't shoot it much but do keep it clean and lubricated and as a result, I haven't even replaced the gas o-ring yet! And I know very little about SX-1s except they are handsome guns and I have often yearned for a nice one.

Good luck in your quest for shooting comfort!

Ed

8. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Browning recoiless .... I've shot it and it is amazing.

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

Ed has it right; the 1100 is by far the best and cheapest way to go. You can walk into any pawn shop and buy one for under $400. They won't have been shot much but likely will need major cleaning. Then buy one of the Jack West stocks being sold on here and you'll have a gun you can shoot for anything. No one advertises recoil reduction stuff for an 1100; there's a reason.
    John

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Have been down the same path as you are on, I have acquired information and soft shooting trap guns over the years. PM me if I can be of help. JM

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Browning BT99 Plus or Citori Plus. Whatever you pick, try before you buy. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

12. copey

copey Member

391 with a soft touch!!!!

13. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

The answer for me is an 1100 with .740 barell, fitted Wenig stock and mercury recoil reducer.
    I have had MX2000 with PFS and recoil is about the same as 1100, but I could not get used to mounting the PFS and "snugging it down".

Also have Model 12 with Soft Touch and 682 with Counter Coil. They are both tolerable but not as soft as the 1100.
    Jim

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have shot all the above, except the Baker, and the very softest of the soft was a Beretta 303. It had a 30" Moneymaker big bore barrel on it and had a premieum soft touch stock with a soft comb on it mated to a Kick-eez pad, and a mercury reducer on the magazine tube. Very, very low recoil, and the gun smoked targets as well.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

A 390 or 391 with a soft touch. The Fabarms is the softest shooter of all of them in my opinion. I'm surprised your gun with a PFS isn't giving you the results you're looking for.

I would consider two things a thick soft gooey pad and talking with Vern at PFS about recoil adjustments and possibly have someone check your gun fit.

Surfer

16. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

Have a NIB Browning Recoilless. If interested, PM me.

Gene

17. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The softest shooting gun in my collection is a 1100 trap with a SoftTouch system in the stock. It has a soft comb and a Gooey Pad. I can shoot 1 oz loads out of it all day, and only get tired of lifting it to my shoulder. My brother is really recoil sensitive, and this is the only gun he is willing to shoot. Mark

18. Bavaria-Grade

Bavaria-Grade Member

Put a stock lock on whatever you have. You will not be sorry.

19. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

The softest recoiling gun I have ever shot was my Winchester SX-3, it had a mercury reducer in the mag tube. I highly recommend them, comes factory with 5 extended chokes, and adjustable comb. $1500 brand new after tax, you cant go wrong!!

20. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

tracyhunter,

I think you may have actually bought a PFS from me in the past. After years of finding an Over/Under that didn't kick and spending 10's of thousands on recoil reduction systems - I have gone to a 391. It is a soft shooter to start with. Then if you want - you can add weight to it or a recoil reduction system. You can also shoot 1 ounce loads. No more pain, headaches, or bleeding!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning non recoiling trap gun
softest recoiling trap shotgun

softest shooting trap gun