1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

soft recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stu mackay, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

What powder- wad combination do you consider the softest recoil for one ounce at app 1150 ft per sec thanks poppy5

2. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

PB Powder with Downrange XL Wad.

3. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

I played around with this a few years ago due to a neck injury. Tried several different wads with SR7625. The loads using Claybuster's Lightning wad were noticably softer on the shoulder. I later called Claybuster and they agreed the lightning wad was the softest shooter in their lineup.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That Lightning wad (CB4100) can cover a broad spectrum of uses. Although it is marketed as a 7/8 or 1-ounce wad, its shot cup is the same depth as a 1-1/8 wad. And it seals well in straight-wall hulls as well as tapered ones. You have to be careful using it with heavy charges of high-density powders, as it is longer than a typical 1-1/8 wad. I had a informative telephone conversation a few years ago with the founder and then-owner of Claybuster Wads during which he told me that it was his favorite and most-used wad of their entire line.

Ed

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

When it comes to recoil, what powder and wad you use are largely irrelevant, in my opinion.

If you truly have 1 ounce of shot, and it is truly going 1150 fps, you won't be able to tell one combination from another.

Others may have different opinions.

6. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

While some powders may have recoil that is less sharp I agree with Timb99 actual felt recoil is a matter of physics and if you want to lessen it you should consider a recoil reducer or automatic which mechanically dampens recoil.Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pro soft recoil