1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

soft loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I was shooting last night and had one of those "blooper" loads that reloads sometimes have. But...had a real nice break on the bird. Granted, it was from the 16 and probably a fluke, but it leads me to wonder just how soft loads can be and still get reliable breaks, all other things being equal. Maybe we're all wasting powder?

Bruce
    Capvan

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bruce

I have shot the Winchester low-recoil, low noise loads which are 26 grams of shot (a little less than 1 ounce) at 980 fps, and they knock the snot out of targets.

I mixed up a batch of reloads once using Winchester AA Lite powder. They were 7/8 ounces at about 1050 fps (according to the tables; I did not chronograph them), and they worked fine.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The difference in speed between fast loads and slow loads is much less when the shot reaches the target. The fast loads encounter greater air resistance and slow down faster. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bruce- I have often noticed the same thing. This suggests that a very poor load will break a target. One brand of discount shells is way below my standards but the shells will break targets. But one target per 100 can be very important.

Pat Ireland

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

My blooper load was one out of maybe 500. Not a usual event. Actually it was the first one in two years.

I just thought it was interesting that the target broke. It's happened once before at our club. The shell sounded like it was just the primer, but it broke the target.

I use 16.5 gr. of Promo, 1 oz. shot and AA hulls. DownRange XL-1 wads. I'm thinking of going to 15 gr. of Promo.

Seems to work just fine.

Bruce

Bruce

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.