1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Focus and Bewilderment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunner x, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

I fellow trapshooter inquired if I could explain Soft Focus in a comprehensive
    manner. I must admit, my explanation was unsatisfactory even to myself.
    In laymans terms, could someone please explain, and why are there so numerous
    descriptions of this infamous term Soft Focus. Just what is it? How does one
    look at nothing?

Thanks for Sharing,

Gunnerx

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's kind of like the "1000 yard stare" where you seem to be not looking at anything special like gazing off into the distance.

Eric

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Everyone see the target differently or think they do . I look to only see the target the backround is gone . I look to see the outer rings the bumps on top and the spin . I only think about the target .

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

ALF 99,

Respectfully, I think you are decsribing "hard focus". Soft focus is the effort of looking in the area in which the target will appear some distance from the trap house and then to focus "hard" on the target only when it does.

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Analogy that works for me is like photography - Landscape vs portrait.

Landscape - soft focus - viewing a field of clover
    Portrait - hard focus - viewing the 4 leaf clover

Regards

W&W

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Kinda like "quiet eye", eh?

7. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Another description might be like wide angel view – let your eyes go wide angel -- -then zoom in on the target

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

You may or may not like the info on the above page. Click and see.

9. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

I don't believe Soft Focus and Quiet eye are the same. No one seems able to
    define Soft Focus. What is the answer and who may explain? Soft sure can't
    be hard, or can it?

Gunnerx

10. BMC

BMC Member

Look that way rather than look at that.

11. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I like the gentleman's camera anology. Soft focus is like the focus at an f stop 11, everything is in view but nothing is particularly sharp, the target comes out and the lens ( your eye ) moves to f stop 3 at the focal plane of the target and it is in sharp focus and you have achieved "hard focus"; only the target is sharp and everything else is less sharp or out of focus.

Quiet eye is a different subject. They are mutually exclusive but compatible.
    Les greevy's article on "quiet eye" is particularly good. I think you can find it referenced on shootingbunker.com.

12. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I describe it to youth shooters as similar to day dreaming. You see all in front of you but nothing is completely in focus.

13. sukhoi26

sukhoi26 Member

The best way you can test your soft focus is to take screw driver or a stock wrench from your perrazi case and hold it at arms length with the handle in your hand and pointed up. Aim it at a vertical object(telephone pole) about 30 yards away and focus on that object, you should see two screwdrivers, then move your focus back to the screw driver and you should see two of the telephone pole. Try to move your focus out to where you can see two screw drivers and two telephone poles at the same time, you are now in a soft focus mode. It takes a lot of practice to consistently be able to do this. This was told to me by another coach and seems to be the best explanation I have heard.
    Hope this helps a little,
    Mike Rinker, Obion County 4H Trapshooting Coach

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

The confusing part is there are two focuses for the exact same distance.

Look at a STOP sign that is about 30 yards away, if you are looking at the whole sign you are in "soft focus". If you stare hard at the inside of the letter "O" that is "hard focus".

Soft focus before you see the target and hard focus on it's front edge after it is in the air.

Terry.

15. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning Dennis -

I explain "soft focus" and then "hard focus" simply as if you and I were talking and you were looking at my face. In Soft Focus you can see my nose in the middle of my face, but you aren't specifically looking at it. In Hard Focus you look SPECiFICALLY at my nose and can't really see my face.

Many shooters look at the target in flight, as they are tracking to shoot it, in the middle of an area. This is soft and they must ONLY see the target (and nothing else - hard focus) in order to bring the gun to where they are looking and break the target. An example of Hard Focus is answering the question - when tracking the target in flight - do you really see that trap house (of course not)??

Hope this helps, old friend.

Bruce Maxwell

16. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Doda,

I never thought of that before but driving is soft focus until something comes into view which requires hard focus. A very good analogy.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

The term "soft focus" is confusing because of the word focus. It is not a function of the eye. When you are looking over the house with a soft focus you are not concentrating on any specific area or object. When the target comes out, you change to a "hard focus" and concentrate on only the target. Your eye focus does not change at all, but your brain concentrates on a specific object rather than a general area. You change the focus of your brain, not your eye.

Pat Ireland

18. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Just when I thought I was starting to understand the concept. Now, I am confused
    again. Question, where does distance from the trap house to the background
    play its role. Should one be looking 30yards out in front of the house for 16's
    or to infinity. This is like a MIRAGE, How do you,as a shooter or hunter, look
    at nothing?

I See but, I don't See,

Gunnerx

19. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

I am begining to think that QUIET EYE trumps SOFT FOCUS.

Gunnerx

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gunnerx- The distance makes little difference. Your eyes do not change when looking at something 20' or 200' away from you. Distance vision is typically checked at 20 feet. 20/20 vision means you can read letters 20 points large at 20 feet. You can set your word processor to print 20 point letters.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

soft focus vs hard focus

trap shooting soft focus