1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Card Information

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by widomaker, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

When your filling out the soft-card do you keep a running average of targets shot i.e. 87% + 89% + 91% /3 or do you tally up the number of targets hit and divide by the total number of targets shot at like a baseball average. When I filled out the soft card it doesn't match what the ATA has on their website for me. I want to get this right so I'm classified correctly at the shoots I attend.

My average that I have on the soft card is higher than the one on the ATA's website. The website actually is up to date with my last shoot the Eastern Zone. I have me at 94.3 for singles and 86.5 for doubles, They have me at 92.17 for singles and 79.85 for doubles. Which one should I use for the next shoot on Sunday .

Thanks in advance

Martin Milano # 0765881

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Look at all of your scores on your card and all of the scores they show for you on the ATA site. Either you or the ATA made an entry or math error somewhere. There is a problem somewhere if the two don't agree. It is possible that one of your scores was posted incorrectly at a shoot as I have seen it done and if you don't catch it right then, you live with the score unless you can get ahold of the original core sheets from the shoot and prove the error.

Jeff

3. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Oh no don't tell me that. Now how do I fix it ?

The scores are correct I guess my question is how do you add them up . By % or like a Base ball average in other words if I shot 2000 targets and hit 1950 of them is it 1950/2000 = .975 or 97.5% or do you add up each individual average i.e. 92% + 96% =188% /2 = 94% it really is a bit confusing I think.

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Baseball average. That is the way to correctly figure an ATA average card. Take total number of targets broken and divide by total number shot at.

Jeff

5. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Thanks Jeff

I can do that .

There was a page in Trap & Field a while ago that had the card filling out in it even that was confusing the way they did it.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

An average is an average. It doesn't matter which way you figure it, it should come out the same.

Partial averages do not show your ability for classification purposes. your ATA average is for the whole year.

You need to compare the shoot results from ATA with what you have if the numbers don't jibe.

And then redo the math 4-5 times to be sure.

HM

7. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

As long as you use 100 targets as the basis for recording all of your scores it doesn't really matter whether you add up all the scores and divivde by total number of targets (then multiply by 100%) or add up all the scores and divide by the number of events shot... You should get the same answer either way. If you shoot 50 target events you best stick with the first method.

--Dan

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Ok now how do you show your ability for classification purposes. I'll cut to the chase here. When I go to classify on Sunday I want to be out of C- Class in singles and out of D-Class in doubles. I won the D-Class at the Eastern Zone so that should take me out of D is that correct ? I want to be in B or A in singles for Westy Hogans and the Northeast Grand I know it has to do with the number of classes they have at the shoots but I'm right on the bubble of A and B in singles I'd rather be in A and at least C - Class for doubles .

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I understand where you'd rather be, but as you know it's determined by your annual running percentage (aka average), your wins and other subjective factors.

I've found the total number of targets hit divided by the total number shot at to be the best formula.

Also TS.com has a great diary Excel spreadsheet that does it automatically for you.

Guy Babin

10. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

You are classified on your last 500 targets, with unusually low score thrown out. And of course your known ability. BRGII

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

BRGII- That is not how I classify shooters.

widomaker- When you go to your next shoot, tell the person classifying you are right on the edge between A and B and you would feel more comfortable in class A. The person classifying will appreciate your honesty.

I am confused a little by your first question about calculating your average. It should be written as a % of the total targets broken for the year in each event. In your example (total of 200 targets), it makes no difference if you add 92 + 96 = 188 /2 = 94 /100 = 0.94 = 94% or 92% (.92) + 96% (.96) / 2 = .94 = 94%.

You can't really add 92% + 94%, you have to convert these numbers to .92 + .94.

Pat Ireland

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Or you could use the "My trap scores database" provided at the top of the TS.com discussion page to do the calculations for you.

Bob

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Widomaker Pat is correct a running average is best a total of all scores divided by the number of events(as long as the events are 100 targets each)and you have an average.

The rulebook says it this way "a. If the shooter has less than 500 targets on current year’s Average Card, use the previous year average and known ability.
    b. If the shooter has between 500 and 1,000 targets (inclusive) on his/her current year’s Average Card, use the current average and known ability or the previous year’s average and known ability,whichever is higher"

Bob Lawless

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Thanks Pat and the rest.

Again I'll cut to the chase here. In the middle of the season this year I was a dumb-ass and left the forearm piece to my gun on the roof of my Jeep. I drove off and didn't notice it was gone until I went to shoot practice and saw I had no forearm. I had to send the gun to Browning because I had no idea how to order the all the pieces and put them together. Browning did a wonderful job for me and got the gun back to me in a month. That was great but what they told me initially was 8 to 12 weeks. Not good, thats our whole season here in NY. So the question was quit shooting for the rest of the season or shoot the BT-99. I wanted to shoot so out comes the BT-99 and the sporting clays gun for doubles. Well I turned in a few really abysmal scores 82's 84's 86's etc not good. Now I get the gun back in time for the Eastern Zone shoot. Nobody here really knows me because I'm a new face and there is no known ability because they don't know who I am and I understand that, they want my last 1000 targets which are awful. My average goes way down because I don't have enough targets to make it not yo yo up and down. Classified in C for single and D in doubles. D is ok as thats really where I should be but I thought I should be in at least B class for singles. Well I break a couple of good scores with my gun 99's and 97's. Sandbagger no. BTW they did classify me in B on Sunday. I think thats where I should be at least maybe A .

Thanks again and I did know you have to use .99 or .92 to calculate the average Pat :). I didn't waste all my money on beer and blondes in college just most of it.

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.