1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soda Blasting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C Prince, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have been reading quite a bit about soda blasting and was thinking this would be the ideal way to strip the bluing odd a barrel or receiver, and strip a stock for refinishing. No chemicals needed. What are your thoughts?

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Not for stripping a stock. Once you break thru the urethane or varnish finish .... it will start eating the wood very quickly. Just too difficult to control. I have bead blasted several barrels. It will take the bluing off just fine. But, you will have a surface finish on the metal - that if reblued - will give a matte finish. If you want a deep shine in your reblue - you need to have a highly polished metal surface - which would probably be alot easier to get ... if you just chemical remove the bluing.
  3. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Completely agree with Blusky. Soda will chew up wood fast, don't do it. If you want to strip metal, soda is far and away the best method. In my opinion it takes the least amount of metal during the stripping process and leaves the best surface for finishing. That being said, if you want that deep blue look, you will be spending some time at the buffing wheel afterward to get the surface smooth enough. Unless you have a reason for deep cleaning (pitted rust) I really wouldn't go there. HJH
  4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Aug 22, 2007
    When I had blue tanks, I used a plastic flower box 36" X 6" X 6", I would put the barrel & receiver in it and all the misc. parts in a screen box. I would fill it with vinegar and let everything sit for a couple of days. All but the worst rust and all the blueing would be gone. I greatly reduced my need to polish with this method. I would have a second tank in which I had water and baking soda for a rinse.

Mar 10, 2008
    For what ever it's worth I've done several restorations on cars using soda and messing with using acid or vinigar to neutralize the soda is a pain. At least on a vehicle I prefer not to use soda any longer. I would use something other than the soda blast it it were me.

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

Aug 10, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Go down to your local auto parts store and buy a can of Evap-O-Rust. It will get the blueing, rust, etc and not hurt the metal or lead solder. It does not pit the metal. I cleaned a set of L C Smith double bbls and they are white and smooth.
  7. Socko124

Socko124 TS Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Make sure the metal is completely submerged in the evaporust, or bad things may happen. Also, blasting off stock finish is very possible with the right media and pressures, but the problem is once the finish is off, you are now imbedding media in the wood even if it does not chew the wood up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

soda blasting gun forum

giving plastic a matt finish baking soda