1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soccer mom gets back her CCW

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BPSR, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPSR

BPSR Member

Gun-toting Pa. mom gets back concealed gun permit
    Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 at 4:06am EST

LEBANON, Pa.

A mother who angered fellow parents when she openly carried a pistol to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game got her concealed weapons permit back Tuesday after a Pennsylvania judge overruled a sheriff's decision to revoke it.

Meleanie Hain lost the permit after other parents complained about the presence of the gun during a soccer game on Sept. 11. Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby, who said he also is a gun owner with a concealed weapons permit, said the law required him to return Hain's permit.

But he questioned her judgment, saying she "scared the devil" out of others at the soccer field.

"Fear doesn't belong at a kid's soccer game from any source," Eby said.

Hain testified at the Tuesday hearing that she did not intend to intimidate anyone but felt she had to carry the gun openly because warm-weather clothing made it difficult to hide a firearm. She said her husband's line of work, which was not disclosed, made her a "greater target" than the average person.

"I'm certainly not looking to shoot anyone over a goal," she told Eby, also adding that she had carried an unconcealed firearm without any problems in the past.

George Christianson, a lawyer for the Lebanon County Sheriff's office, said the decision would not be appealed.

Hain said she was satisfied and plans to take her gun to a youth soccer game in the future.

"People have the right to voice their opinion ... and I have a right to my Second Amendment right," she said. "A gun-free zone says to a criminal: 'Easy target.'"

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

MrkSLC, the law says that she can carry openly. Is she violating the law by obeying it?

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

She cannot carry concealed to the soccer game, but she can carry openly.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Since the CCW permit was returned, this lady must have been within her rights. Thats one of the problems with carrying concealed, there are many times when you don't want to wear a vest or extra shirt and a belt rig will stand out like a sore thumb. People that don't carry or don't understand the laws get alarmed when they see a gun in public settings so the best bet is to make every efort to keep the gun out of view. That the stong point of the 2" j frame revolvers, you can put them in your pants pocket if need be and not show your 'hand' in the process.

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Oh yes, the outhouse lawyers will weigh in on this thread for sure. MrkSLC in Ohio it is okay to carry openly whether you have a CCW permit or not. Now then this was Pennsylvania and of course different states have their own rules. In fact the latest from the Attorney General's office in Ohio on the subject has a specific secton that addressed open carry. Nothing at all about not having it loaded. Bill

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The root of the problem is that the media has convinced the general population that a gun is evil, if you have a gun on your person you are evil therfore call the police.

Ronbo

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a CCW, I carry open and concealed, both are completely legal and proper ... I have never seen anything that says because you have a CCW that a weapon must be concealed, though there would be many places where concealed would be better for all involved it is not mandatory ... If it is in writing any place but on TS.Com and posted by MrkSLC I would like to know where so I could see it for myself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Thats the trouble with the CCW ,to many grey areas,and we all lose !

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Hard to make a blanket statement here as laws vary widely from state to state. Here in Minnesota, you often hear the law referred to as concealed carry but it is not. In Utah, the permit is called a CFP, concealed firearms permit, but again concealment is not required. In Minnesota a gun is loaded it it contains any cartridges. In Utah, a gun is not considered loaded unless it can be fired by one single physical action. That would be a single pull of the trigger. If the weapon has a full magazine, or an empty position in a revolver next up, it is unloaded in Utah. Racking the slide and pulling the trigger is 2 actions so is officially unloaded. Having to pull thetrigger twice on a revolver to get it to fire is also unloaded.

I never carry out of state without reading the actual statutes for my destination and any other states that I may travel through. I don't read blogs, or TS.com, etc but the actual statutes when I need facts.

It would be great to have uniform law but it is not likely to happen in our lifetimes.

Bob

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

In Indiana we have two permits. One is a target permit, that lets you transport firearms for target shooting and hunting, the other is called a Personal Protection permit, this lets you carry it any way you want. Wayne

11. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam TS Member

MrkSLC said:
    "The firearm can not have a cartridge in the chamber."
    and
    "However, if you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you can NOT carry a gun openly"

Could you please show me the laws that state this?

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think MrkSLC figured out that his comment was not very accurate and I have my doubts about him responding to any requests for proof of his statements ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Since the CCW permit was returned, this lady must have been within her rights. Thats one of the problems with carrying concealed, there are many times when you don't want to wear a vest or extra shirt and a belt rig will stand out like a sore thumb. People that don't carry or don't understand the laws get alarmed when they see a gun in public settings so the best bet is to make every efort to keep the gun out of view. That the stong point of the 2" j frame revolvers, you can put them in your pants pocket if need be and not show your 'hand' in the process.

14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Oh yes, the outhouse lawyers will weigh in on this thread for sure. MrkSLC in Ohio it is okay to carry openly whether you have a CCW permit or not. Now then this was Pennsylvania and of course different states have their own rules. In fact the latest from the Attorney General's office in Ohio on the subject has a specific secton that addressed open carry. Nothing at all about not having it loaded. Bill

15. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The root of the problem is that the media has convinced the general population that a gun is evil, if you have a gun on your person you are evil therfore call the police.

Ronbo

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a CCW, I carry open and concealed, both are completely legal and proper ... I have never seen anything that says because you have a CCW that a weapon must be concealed, though there would be many places where concealed would be better for all involved it is not mandatory ... If it is in writing any place but on TS.Com and posted by MrkSLC I would like to know where so I could see it for myself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Thats the trouble with the CCW ,to many grey areas,and we all lose !

18. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Hard to make a blanket statement here as laws vary widely from state to state. Here in Minnesota, you often hear the law referred to as concealed carry but it is not. In Utah, the permit is called a CFP, concealed firearms permit, but again concealment is not required. In Minnesota a gun is loaded it it contains any cartridges. In Utah, a gun is not considered loaded unless it can be fired by one single physical action. That would be a single pull of the trigger. If the weapon has a full magazine, or an empty position in a revolver next up, it is unloaded in Utah. Racking the slide and pulling the trigger is 2 actions so is officially unloaded. Having to pull thetrigger twice on a revolver to get it to fire is also unloaded.

I never carry out of state without reading the actual statutes for my destination and any other states that I may travel through. I don't read blogs, or TS.com, etc but the actual statutes when I need facts.

It would be great to have uniform law but it is not likely to happen in our lifetimes.

Bob

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

In Indiana we have two permits. One is a target permit, that lets you transport firearms for target shooting and hunting, the other is called a Personal Protection permit, this lets you carry it any way you want. Wayne

20. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam TS Member

MrkSLC said:
    "The firearm can not have a cartridge in the chamber."
    and
    "However, if you have a Concealed Carry Permit, you can NOT carry a gun openly"

Could you please show me the laws that state this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.