1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal earthquakes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

One very long shaker mid afternoon Saturday. We were sitting at my friend's breakfast bar after dinner when the house began shaking. The shaking increased to a solid non-destructive rattling. Pots and pans in a rack above the bar were clanging and banging. The shaking wasn't severe enough to rattle my cage, so I just continued sitting there. After quite some time I began to wonder how long this thing was going to last so I looked at my watch. It went on for a good fifteen seconds longer, and at least 20 seconds had already passed. We were on a slab so we felt every second of it. It has been upgraded from 6.9 to 7.2 but to me it didn't feel like 7.2. Several aftershocks now and apparately some other earthquakes on other faults spawned.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

That quake was centered about 30 miles south of Mexicali in Baja California, Mexico. About 225 miles Southeast of Los Angeles.

Felt like about a 5 at my house (near DizzyLand) No damage here, but there was a lot of damage on both sides of the border ... Mexicali/Calexico.

3. white rattler

white rattler Member

I felt it in Downtown Phoenix. Trevor Dawe.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Two more aftershocks, very stout, one at 4:15 AM Monday morning that lasted 10 seconds or so, about 5.5, another single impact type a short time later. I've been in California virtually my entire life (please, no commentary on my intelligence or lack thereof, stupid is it's own punishment) and I've never experienced anything like this. I consider these good quakes because a lot of fault stress is being relieved without undue destruction..............provided it stays that way.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Mild sway north of L.A. County, maybe a 2.3 in our area. Chadelliers swayed a little. Not much to talk about -- so I won't. Fred

6. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

They recorded over 30 after shocks since yesterday, latest "big" one was at 0305 this morning, dogs started barking prior to the shaking...spooky..

Kinda hard to hold over the house when the house is movin'......LarryB

7. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

Slow roller here in Orange County but the perfect frequency to slosh out about 1/3 of my pool water.

T. D'Arc, D.D.S.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Two more snappy aftershocks this morning, the one just now at 9:46 AM shook hard.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

too bad the whole state didnt slide in the big pond and take Ms poassy with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.