1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soaking Barrels & Receiver in WD40

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todman2, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todman2

todman2 Member

A shooting friend of mine told me about a home built soaking tube that they insert their receiver, barrel, sub-gauge tubes, and choke tubes in. He then fills the tube with WD 40 and allows them to soak for 2 to 3 days. He claims everything comes out super clean and looks like new. He filters the WD 40 from time to time to get rid of the sediment and then reuses it.

According to my friend only the stickers on the sub-gauge tubes came off.

I'm concerned more about the receiver. Does this process remove grease from the trigger assembly that would be recommended or be required by the manufacturer. Would it damage any gold inlays on a receiver. Does anyone see a problem with doing this to their guns ???? Does anybody else do this and what were your results ????

He claims he has done this for years without a problem.

It sounds to good to be true, just want to check it out before I build one and start deep cleaning my gun with this process.

Thanks for any input anyone has.

2. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I use WD 40 on my choke tubes and gas cylinder. It's not the majic elixer. The gun on the gas cylinder does not come off with soaking although it does soften making it easier to scrape it off, then copper wire brush it clean. I can't see it taking the sludge that develops in the recesses of the receiver without some powerful circulation.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

WD-40 has been called"the gunsmith's best friend" because the liquid eventually evaporates leaving a very hard varnish-like coating behind. I have witnessed this myself having used it on rusted clamps, etc. I would never use in on a gun which has parts in close tolerance. Also, I don;t believe that it is the best solvent to remove gunk etc. from inside the receiver.

I think this is a formula for disaster. Just my opinion.

4. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I soak the parts in KROIL and I think it is better than WD40 I also clean the receiver with it and most of all the inside of the barrel and especially at the chamber where the shell opens up and leaves the black ring in the barrel if you soak the chamber it will sometimes remove the black ring unless it has been a long time since this has been cleaned and then use your brushes on a drill.

Duckeye

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Why not just buy a small used (or new) parts washer from an auto repair shop or supply house and do the job? Those washers have a pump that sends solvent out through a hose to and through a brush that makes removing even cooked-on carbon and other gunk easy. The pump has a built-in filter that does the straining job for you the whole time the pump is running. Of course, the unit has a tub in which the parts are washed and even a cloth sack-type filter in the drain just in case a small part gets away from you.

I wash my gun barrels and receivers every so often in my washer and blow them dry with compressed air. If I want a part to be absolutely free of the cleaning solvent, which is petroleum-based, I just spray the part with aerosol brake parts cleaner and allow it to air dry, which takes ten seconds or so.

I bought my parts washer from a car dealership that was going out of business for $150 and that included a 10-gallon bucket of new solvent.

Ed

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Kroil or Hoppe's #9...

7. thunder

thunder Active Member

I use Mineral Spirits on my Kolar nickle receiver. I fill a small coffee can about 3/4 full and then put my receiver in it and let it soak for a few hours. When pulling it out its spotless. I then blow it off and oil and grease per manufacturer. Then I strain the mineral spirits and put back in container, works great.

Andy

8. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Birdog says it best. WD-40 has made me a lot of money cleaning firearms. The residue it leaves is almost impossible to remove. It is sticky and will gum up your firearm working parts. It looks good when applied but over time it will give you grief. Bob

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Birdogs. I have a friend who is on the bay duck hunting. He does not take care of his gun like we do. There their guns are a tool not a prize like ours. Well he had to take the gun to a gunsmith and we knew one that would do a good job for him. When the gun was ready he went by to get it and the gunsmit asked him what oil did he use. WD-40 he said. The gunsmith cringed, please please use something else. When that stuff hardend its a pain to get out. It took me a week of soaking and cleaning to one get the gun apart and to clean it right.

When cleaning I use a can of Brake Cleaner then coat the hell out of it with oil. I use Break Free and Barsoil(sp) great stuff. I will continue this later because I have to go into town.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Nothing locks up a mechanism better than WD-40 that's been sitting a while. I've cleaned out many a gun due good Ol' WD.

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The WD in WD40 stands for water displacement. I would use it to spray on a damp distributor cap in an emergency, not much else. If you want to make your choke tubes a permanent addition to your barrel, spray the threads with WD40.

Gun Scrubber spray is made for cleaning your guns.

Rem Oil is for lubrication and choke tube threads.

STOS grease is for the locking lugs.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

WD-40 has it's reason to be successful on many applications, but not on firearms.

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Anyone ever use a product called JB80 from Justice Brothers? I have used it alot on other things but not gun parts... pretty oily.. and cleans well. But I do not know of any residue, but like i said.. havent use it on gunparts.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

How about the new Soy Based penatrating oils? I know ZEP has them. Dave T.

15. baflstang

baflstang Member

FYI In case you dinn't already know!

WD-40

A lady got up very early one morning and went outside to pickup the Sunday paper, she noticed someone had sprayed red paint all around the sides of the neighbors brand new beige truck.
    She went over and woke him up and gave him the bad news. He was, of course extremely upset.
    And they stood there trying to figure out what could be done about the problem. They decided there wasn't much recourse but to wait until Monday, since nothing was open.
    Just then another neighbor came out of his house, surveyed the situation and immediately went to get his WD-40 out and cleaned the red paint off with it.
    Guess What! It cleaned up that paint without harming the original paint on the truck! I'm impressed!!

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for A rust preventative solvent and de greaser to protect Missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three T echnicians at t he San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.
    Its name comes from the project that was to find a
    'water displacement' compound.
    They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you...'
    IT IS MADE FROM FISH OIL' .
    When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door.
    If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It is a miracle!
    Then try it on your stovetop... It is now shinier than it has ever been before.

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
    2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
    3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
    4) Gives floors that `just-waxed` sheen without making it slippery.
    5) Keeps flies off cows.
    6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
    7 ) Removes lipstick stains.
    8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
    9) Untangles jewelry chains.
    10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
    11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
    12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
    13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
    14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
    15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
    16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
    17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
    18) It removes black scuff m arks from the kitchen floor! Open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car.
    removed quickly, with WD-40!
    20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
    21) Lubricates gear shift on lawn mowers.
    22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
    23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
    24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
    25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, well as vinyl bumpers.
    26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
    27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
    28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
    29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
    30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
    31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
    32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
    33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
    34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
    35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
    36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain
    37) Florida's favorite use 'Cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
    38) Protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
    39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.
    40) Ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
    41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
    42) If you've washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and Presto! Lipstick is gone!
    43) If you spray WD-40 on the distributor cap, it will displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

Keep a can of WD-40 in your kitchen cabinet. It is good for oven burns or any other type of
    burn. It takes the burned feeling away and heals with NO scarring.
    Remember, the basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

Bill Weaver

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I wonder if it is a suitable alternative for KY Jelly.......

Guy B.

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Does not contain fish oil Bill. Check out the company link below.

http://www.wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

I'm relieved it isn't fish oil. Fish Oil brings back memories of a not-so-pleasant Chief's Initiation and a Crossing the Line ceremony back in my Navy days.

Guy B.

18. baflstang

baflstang Member

I just sent what I had been sent. I felt that it smelled much better than anything that has to do with fishguts (I mean fish oil). LOL
    Bill

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mineral Spirits or Kerosene. Kerosene leaves a little oily residue behind, so it sort of lubes and cleans at the same time. I used to soak my barrels and receivers in a transmission parts washer, when I did that sort of work. It had a long enough tank to let them soak. I still use Kerosene for my trigger assemblies.

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Mineral Spirits

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do we put wd 40 in parts washer

does jb80 displace moisture

shoot rifle with wd 40 in barrel

soaking gun in wd 40

solvent tank to soak a shotgun barrel in acetone

spraying and leaving wd in a gun barrel