1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So who is the computer geek here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GoldEx, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I have a technical question regarding a software program I have. It was a free ballistic program that was made by some guy over in Finland or Sweden a while back and it is called PCB. You can see a sample of it at the attached website. I love this program as it allows you to add your own bullets and add them to the library. Here's the problem..... The program ran fine on Windows 95, 98, ME and XP. When I purchased my computer with Vista and my kids with Windows 7, the program won't run. I get an error window that pops up that says "The version of this file is not compatable with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or an x64 (64-bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher." This cant be rocket science. What do I need to do to get me back calculating trajectories????

Jeff

2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Tried running it in Compatibility Mode? Hit the link above. Good luck.

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

No go.

JK

4. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

Sorry but I believe your out of luck unless you can get someone to upgrade the software you have. You would need the source code to do that..if it is at all possible...Mirocsoft has made backwards compatibility a thing of the past with Vista...It's code and processor that causing the issues..try tracing the company that wrote the code for any upgrades...Just a thought...

5. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

Do you know if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

If 64-bit, seems some DOS applications may not work.

Seems there is a Windows XP mode - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Disclaimer: I'm a geek (and a shooter) but also a Mac user, that's what I found spending 10 minutes searching.

Good luck.

6. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

You can use a tool like Dosbox. It lets you run a DOS application in Windows 7. It's a free program.

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

(download and install the first listing)

Here's what I would do.......

1. Download and install dosbox.

2. Copy the PCB program directory onto the root of your C drive. (for example, so that the file path to PCB is c:\pcb18-en)

3. Open dosbox and type mount c c:\pcb18-en and hit enter

4: type c: and hit enter

5. type pcb.exe and hit enter

6. Voila!

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Marked in case I need this later. Thanks, Ray

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to give this a try.

JK

9. joeott

joeott Member

My vote is for GoDawgs...The dosbox way works perfectly.

10. monroesc

monroesc Member

up, to keep this going because I need to try it for my RJ Stuart program on my laptop.

11. atadams77

atadams77 Member

id just create a virtual xp system on your win 7 box. there are several free virtual system managers: vmware has a free one (wmware player), Sun (javabox or something) has a free one, and so does microsoft. vmware also has a program to virtual applications, vmware thinapp (http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/overview.html). this allows you to virtualize one app instead of entire system.

however win 7 is quite good running backwards compatibility with older 32 bit apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.