1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So, who is the best instructor?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

After seeing the thread on Kay. I was wondering who is the best instructor? And why, do you think he/she is?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Personalities are personalities. I think you'll see that who seems brilliant, a near genius to one fellow will come across as rude and demanding to the next. How much an instructor wants you to change will determine whether you learn quickly or suffer for hours; days. This is another one of those personal things that are hard to quantify for another. I wouldn't hesitate to go with any one of the well known top guns offering to share their experience, the one closest to your venue or in your price range and convenient date.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. Ertz

Ertz Member

I have taken three clinics and here is how I rate them. (BTW I never got the chance take a Kiner clinic which is supposed to be the Rolls Royces of clinics)

1) Frank Hoppe

2) Kay Ohye

3) Leo Harrison III

Email me if you would like more in depth description of why they are rated in that order.

4. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Britt Robinson was the best for me but would like to say Phil Kiner is great.
    Both are very nice men.
    The most help you get is with small clinics. You will learn more in a class of 5 than a class of 50.
    Allen

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have had some awesome help by both Leo and Phil. Both are different, and both are invaluable to me becoming a better shooter. Frank has offered me some great advice, which I followed, as well as Harlan. I would spend time with any one of these guys.

I'm sure that the ones that I have not had the pleasure of meeting would be very good.

I agree with Bob. It depends on what you need out of a particular lesson or clinic, and who works with YOU the best on THAT PARTICULAR ISSUE.

6. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

I can only speak to one:

BRITT ROBINSON has a special gift as an instructor, and every trapshooter owes it to him or herself to spend a day with Britt.

With his legendary accomplishments way back when, we tend to think of him as an old guy who's not around any more. Nothing could be further from the truth. Remember he started making history when he was 11 yrs old and was in the HOF at age 36.

He's still a vibrant, witty guy with keen insight into highly individualized instruction. He pushes each shooter to the limits of their ability in a fun, engaging way. I liken him to Butch Harmon in golf (without the ego) - he just has an eye for watching another shooter and teaching that shooter the physical and mental aspects of how to go to a whole 'nother level and have a lot of fun doing so.

He'll work your tail off 'til sundown, but at the end of the day you'll be at a level you never imagined, you'll have a new love for trapshooting you never appreciated before, and most important you'll have a new friend for life.

The others listed above must be great also, but a day with Britt is just something special that lasts a lifetime.

7. BAP

BAP TS Member

I've had clinics from 7 of the Big Dogs and I'll have to say that the best was Harlan, Closely followed by Kiner( Phil you might have finished higher if I could have stayed and finished the clinic) and Frank Hoppe. I feel that their time with me turned them into really great trapshooters. Bill

8. grammie

grammie TS Member

The question should be,,,,,,,"So,,who is the best instructor for ME"??????

Anyone of the shooters mentioned above can beat each other every other time they shoot!!!!! You can't even judge whos the BEST shooter among them!!!

And,,,,some people can be extremly good to the point of being a professional but cannot teach what they know!!!! And,,,,someone can be mediocre at something,,,but can "teach" much more than they can do!!!!

Phil Kiner is a fine shooter,,,his way!!!! Leo is differant!!! So is Harlan!! And Daro Handy is even differant than the others!!!! And each one has their own way of shooting!!!

They CANNOT turn you into them!!! So,,the best instructor for you,,,is the one that can Help you and still let you shoot your way!!!

Example,,,,,,,For some shooters that shoot one-eyed or ride the targets,,,,,Then the instructor for you would be Nora and not Leo or Ray!!!!

If you shoot fast,,,your instructor should be Hoppe,,Kiner,, and not Nora!!!

Let your STYLE pick your instructor!!!!!

AKA Grammie.........

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

chauncy: I called you were not in! I'll try later or tomorrow.

Someone said, make me better.

I'm thinking of a teacher that can take my style and make it a little bit better. I'm to hard to change very much, and I'm already a better than fair shooter, but I need to be tweaked and I would like to take a small class. Sounds like Britt Robertson is more the type of instructor I need. Or is there someone else? I don't respond well to Vince Lombarty types.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

The best instructor is one who can teach you something and the only way to anwswer your question is to ask you which instructor has taught you the most?

Only after you answer that one question grasshopper will we be able to tell who is the best instructor.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

BRITT!!!

12. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

I took a clnic with Frank Hoppe 2 weeks ago. One of the smartest things I ever did in my life. He has the amazing ablity to pickup on things you do that causes you to miss a target and explain what is happening so you can reconize it yourself. He doesn't try to change your style. Registered my first doubles this past Sunday and broke an 81. If it were not for Franks help I would have been luck to have broken 50. I feel he gave me a couple of things to work on that will in time make me a better shooter. I would highly recomend his clinic. Can't speak for the rest as I have not taken their clinic.

John

13. southpark

southpark TS Member

A friend of mine who knows most, if not all, of these guys suggested they all probably have something to offer.

Trap is an expensive sport. If you can afford it, you could probably afford a clinic from someone new every year, or every six months.

After a few years you could probably answer this question for yourself with more accuracy than any of us could but, more importantly, you might find that, sure enough, you got something worthwhile from each one of them.

14. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Ive only taken one clinic, from Harlan Campbell last fall in Albequerque. Great weekend, and a great teacher. Probably could have been better, but for me it really helped and gave me a lot of confidence and good things to work on. I would recommend him highly.
    Tom Lieb

15. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I've had 3...

Kay Ohye just didn't work for me; I could not adapt to his style and he let me know how slim my chances of being a good shooter would be because I didn't...

Harlan was a better teacher but he also taught a method I found hard to adapt to even though I tried for 9 months. Found out later that his style is based on the fact that he's a trap reader; he looks high toward where he expects the target to be. It shows when he shoots by himself without a squad to help him time the trap.

Nora and Randy Ross gave me the best for my money because of the video sessions and because of their technique of standing behind each shooter as they shot to critique the shot immediately afterwards. Randy shoots 2 eyes, Nora one...something for everybody. They get my vote.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best trap shooter britt robertson

britt robertson trapshooter

great shooter britt robertson