1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So where do we stand now on shot melting ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Holypatterns, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holypatterns

Holypatterns TS Member

Much has been written about shot melting and forming in these pages. Have we
    reached some sort of consensus on the fluid mixture to be used, that is, the
    best proportions of anti freeze, water and soap? How about temperature of the
    coolant? What kind of soap?

When the lead used is known to be dead soft, should some antimony be added or
    is this necessary? Antimony is said to be high priced and therefore not much if any is used in economy shells.

If the cost of lead does not drop, then the tire shops are going to start
    charging an arm an a leg for wheelweights. I can see a day when wheelweights
    will be delivered to the tire shops in armored trucks, with armed guards in
    attendance. Why don't the tire shops re-use the wheelweights anyway? Is there
    a regulation prohibiting re-use?

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Unfortunately, you won't have to worry about the cost of lead wheel weights much longer. Environmentalists are actively pushing to abolish them completely in the U.S.

My home state, Michigan, appears to be in the forefront here, with Ann Arbor (surprise!) leading the pack. http://www.ecocenter.org/press/releases/20040315a.php

The European Union banned them in 2005.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That should greatly incease the supply of lead and help drive the price of lead down. HMB

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

You can reuse wheel weights on tires, most of the time they loose their gripping preasure when removed. Also unless it looks nice. Most customers will see the old weights and wonder if you even balanced the tire. Lots of used car lots and used tire sales reuse wheel weights. I have even seen one place that uses a hot glue gun to put a dab of glue to make sure they dont come off,,,,,until the customer is well on his way. One of my sorces for lead is already useing the new style? Im not sure what type of metal they are?

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Pullll, Ck out the attached website. This guy has a process for low temp alloying. I understand it's fairly process sensitive, But does work.

Jim

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the imports that are shipped in do not have lead weights i dont know what it is but it will melt and mix with lead i got about 60lbs from a guy they were all very small so i am guessing they were from imports. I run some through the shotmaker had 10lbs of tear drops then the thing quit took me 4 hrs to clean up the shotmaker got a 60lb boat anker Also there is a law [although not inforced] that wheel weights not be reused on wheels. the clips get weak and they could fly off and go though a windshild most of the major tire shops dont reuse them --NTB sears walmart sams etc rick

7. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

I had the same problem with the new wheel weight's.I mixed them in with the other lead and even that slowed the machine down alot.I don't even mix them in now if I catch them before they go into the smelter.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

The new wheel weights are ZINC they just sort of dissolve slightly with your lead ones and mess up your pours! Look at every wheelweight before melting and do not use the ones with zn on them. Save them to sell back to the scrap yard. I think one in ten thousand is enough to mess up yoiur pours is what I read sometime back.Jeep in Toledo went to all Zinc a couple of years ago to meet European Union rules. It was too much hassle to just use Zinc on the exports so they went to all zinc. Bill

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

About antimony I don't know about pure antimony's melting temperature but lead wheel weights have some in them of course, around ten percent and Linotype has twelve percent and hardball has six percent. This is from the Midway USA catalog for the linotype and hardball alloys. Bill

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim, the web site you show doesn't open!

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

You have to use the full address when you put it in the " Website URL" box on this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.