1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So what kind of guns do they shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bucko43, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

After watching the leader boards for the Grand American, I notice three names in particular that are consistently at the top.

Phil Kiner

Leo Harrison III

Harlan Campbell Jr.

Anyone know what kind of guns they shoot for singles, handicap and doubles?

Thanks,

Kevin

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Leo shoots his Beretta DT10 O/U barrel for singles and doubles and his DT10 unsingle barrel for caps. He has also been known to shoot a Beretta UGB.----Matt

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Kiner and Campbell both shoot Kreighoffs.....

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The real common denominator is a stock that fits the shooter, not the maker of the gun! Hap

5. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

The May 2009 Issue of T&F pages 38 to 41 has a chart of many top ATA shooters, their guns of choice and some comments on modifications.

js

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Leo is sponsered by Beretta which took place after he had switched to Beretta. I believe he started with a 682 after the Rem 1100 then went to the DT10. At least this is what i think i remember he told me. He has a very nice custom stock on his DT. Once again it is the Indian and not the arrow. ----Matt

7. zinger

zinger Member

I vote for the free ones too!

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I just would like to add my 2 cents we all like a hi quality guns and nice wood is a bonus but does not amount to a hill of beans as far a shooting goes. As long as you get a gun that will last and shoots where you look. I watched the Bartholow brothers from SD shoot in Montana using an Browning Citory and Browning XT two nicer young men would be hard to find and they are wonderful shooters. Foster took Big Leo to a tie at 975 in last years singles title and I just looked at the scores from this years Grand and Foster won the first sinlges event after shootoffs and Matt won the doubles after shootoffs with those Brownings and they do not even get anything from Browning. So there is no majic in any brand of gun only the shooter.

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

First, I'm a firm believer in shooting whatever you have confidence in, that means more than anything else.

I will admit though, I am amazed at the number of the top shooters that shoot the K-80 Trap Special. Must be something to it.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the popularity of the K-80 Trap Special has to do with its low level of felt recoil. I did a gun test for Shotgun Sports Magazine on one of the first Trap Specials made, a Super Scroll grade unsingle combo. It was the softest-shooting gun I've ever shot and I've owned seven Krieghoffs, one of them a K-80 unsingle combo.

I honestly believe that shooting comfort is the most important aspect of a trap gun. If a gun shoots exactly where a shooter looks but doesn't do it comfortably, the shooter will not like the gun and his/her scores will reflect it.

I know it isn't on Fred's list of the best gun to buy, but I noticed that the Beretta 687 combo I bought our son four years ago was very comfortable to shoot over the course of the few targets I shot with it (it has one of those funny triggers that make the gun fire when you pull it). Three years later, Jason still liked it better than the Krieghoff he had been shooting so I bought one for myself. Now that my eye problem seems to be clearing, I'm shooting it every bit as well as my last Krieghoff and just feel more "one with the gun," if you can relate to that phrase. And the felt recoil is very, very close to that Trap Special I shot for 25% of the cost.

Bottom line - if it feels good and the targets break, you've found "your" gun regardless of its brand name.

Ed

11. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Not one person mentioned Silver Seitz...

...Chris Vendel and Dave Shaeffer--two of the very best shooters in the world both shoot Seitz'. Vendel shoots an O/U Seitz for doubles as well.

Walker

12. Hap MecTweaks

Stock fit, weight of the gun, dependability, dedication to trapshooting and talent does the trick! Not the amount of cash you lay out for a shotgun or who stamps their logo on it!

Ed, explain to some of the newer shooters reading these threads why a shotgun, any shotgun for that matter, has the comfortable aspects you speak of also? Should a new shooter become convinced he can't compete without a "premium" shotgun costing many thousands, we might lose him before he even begins!

Hap

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Do you all suppose that the reason these great shooters are so great is because they spent SOOO much money on their guns that they were bound and determined to learn how the shoot the things well?

Or is it that these top shooters believe in their guns and know that their gun will go bang every time they pull the trigger?

HAP,

I too believe that the way a gun fits you is paramount. But I'm seeing a common thread among the top shooters that is hard to discount. The top shooters are all investing in expensive guns, and I have to believe that this is a large part of their success. Everybody needs to work their way up to the top (well, almost everybody) and starting with an inexpensive gun is probably the way to start. But does working your way to the top include buying an expensive gun?

Bucko

14. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to spend time with some incredible shooters--some of the best in the country. I'm not afraid to pick their brains (when the time is right and without pestering them...) and I can tell you that to a man (and women) they all say two things:

First, you'll get out of trap what you put into it. You can't buy AAA or a Grand American ring. Be serious, practice diligently, usefully and be dedicated.

Second, and most important, find a gun that is comfortable and fits you... then set it up so it shoots where you are looking.

All the best,

Walker

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hap, the best advice we can give new shooters wanting to buy a good trap gun is to attend a large shoot where demo guns can be shot. That's not always possible, especially in some parts of the country, so the next best thing is borrowing fellow shooters' guns for 25 targets - and if one felt good during that trap, 25 more. Buying and trading a bunch of guns is the most expensive route to the one you want, just like buying motorcycles in increasing sizes on the way to the liter-bike you really want.

The gun just has to feel good in your hands and against your face and shoulder. If it does that AND shoots well for you, it is a contender for your dollars. But very few of us can pick up a gun and have it fit us perfectly. Many times, you might think one does but in practical use, find it doesn't.

When I bought my KX-5, I commented to Nancy Allem that it was unusual for a factory Krieghoff stock to fit me so well without the comb moved all the way to the right but the beads lined up spot-on in their showroom. When I shot the gun that night, I had the wrenches out after the first trap. Probably 95% of the buyers of target shotguns need some sort of tweaking done to the stock to make it fit properly; what those things are and how involved they are will only become evident after an extended period of shooting. I've had guns on which I was still adjusting a year after buying them while others (like the one I shoot now) have seen a wrench just once after the initial set-up.

Attending a clinic and spending some time with a good gun fitter are the two best things a shooter can do for his or her career.

Ed

16. Hap MecTweaks

Ed, I totally agree!

We pick up something that catches our eye for one reason or other, liking the "look" is probably at the top of the heap. We've done this forever and most people can identify the symptoms. We FIT ourselves to that pretty little thing that caught our eye in the first place! "OH YEAH!" This fits like a glove and I can shoot it great! So on we go as experienced gun buyers/traders and stock modifiers looking for a magical wand.

Advising those new to the sport is something totally different and we should make it a priority to stress the importance of stock fit regardless of gun choice. Almost any new beginner lucky enough to get the right start with sage advice on what really matters most may be around longer than those listening to a "buy this model or buy that model" advice.

Have we forgotten that Arnold Reigger dominated the game with a nothing Win. mod. 37 single shot? A check of guns used during that time frame will be eye opening to some? He modified the stock by taping cardboard from shell boxes to the comb and shooting light loads? A reminder that looking at the game from a different perspective, wanting new shooters to stay in the game longer, is mighty important also.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

harlan campbell jr silver seitz

what gun did they shoot iqbal