1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So, I've moved to Sacramento

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by calilori, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

So, last week I finally did it and have moved to Sacramento. I currently live in Natomas, which I love because I am working in Rancho Cordova which is only a 20 minute drive, and my daughter is in Elk Grove which is also only a 20 minute drive, plus I'm in the middle of everything! and I'm 5 minutes from downtown and Old Town. I have an appointment next week to look at some condos to buy and I've found 3 that sound promising, they are in Rancho Cordova, Folsom and Shingle Springs. Does anybody on here live in this area? Do you have any advice on areas to live in, taking into consideration where I work and where my daughter lives? Where can I shoot around here? Coon Creek is a little further than I want to drive, but if that is my only choice I'll do it. One of the ladies who works in our office said she thinks there is a club in Rancho Cordova? Isn't there one in El Dorado County as well? Anybody?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Lori

2. ekuhnhausen

ekuhnhausen Member

Folsom is A safe area to consider. The Rancho range charges a lot of extra fees to shoot. Try the Auburn trap club. We are a small club but very friendly.

3. calilori

calilori TS Member

How far is it to drive to the Auburn club? What are the hours? What is the price?

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If you choose Shingle Springs there is the El Dorado trap club but it is really only available on Sunday if you work during the week. Long commute to see family in Elk Grove. This would not be my 1st choice.

If you choose Rancho then there is a club on south Sunrise but it sucks and is NOT a trap friendly environment. Your mileage may vary but I wouldn't give them the time of day. Reasonable commute to Elk Grove and close to work but not the best location to be honest.

From Natomas the Coon Creek club is less than 30 minutes up Hwy 99/70 and thru the rice fields. Natomas would be my choice as you would maintain a reasonable commute distance from family, work and play. Stay close to downtown you won't regret the choice.

I live in Sacramento, work in Natomas and shoot at Coon Creek so now you know my bias.

5. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

I would say Sac Valley Gun Club is closest it is off Hwy 16 only about 20 minutes from Rancho Cordova

6. ekuhnhausen

ekuhnhausen Member

auburntrapclub.com this will give you the answers to your questions.

7. calilori

calilori TS Member

I love Natomas and would love to stay here but can't seem to find any decent condos for sale in this area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something becomes available I'd love it. Want to do lunch someday? My work schedule is very flexible.

8. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

The question, as I see it, where can I get the best overall investment value for my money. I live in El Dorado Hills and have two condo units in Folsom. The price of gas may be a pain but it really isn't the factor when condsidering the purchase of a home. I would stick to Folsom, El Dorado Hills, parts of Roseville. In less than an hour I can shoot at Auburn, El Dorado (Placerville), Sac Valley, Cordova shooting center,or Coon Creek, which I consider my home range. Within two hours I can be at Livermore, Martinez or Reno. Be happy with your home and the rest will follow.

I am happy to help in any way you need.

JON

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Try this web site to evaluate properties, it's a nation wide source for finical institutes.

http://www.zillow.com/

When you settle down, let's vote those idiots out of Sacramento. :)

10. calilori

calilori TS Member

No kidding on voting the idiots out! However, Meg Whitman is an idiot, so I'm at a loss about who to vote for at this point. Although, politics is my hobby! Anyway, I really only know a couple of people here and would like to make more friends. So, shooting is a great way to make more friends aside from the fact that I really miss it! I haven't shot since Richard died and now I'm ready to get back into it.

11. tcherry

tcherry TS Member

Welcome to Sactown. My wife and i live in Carmichael and we both belong to and shoot at Auburn, great club, great people and they throw great targets. Coon Creek is nice but will be hotter during summer (make sure you have bug spray, mosquitos it's in the middle of rice fields) Auburn is up the hill and higher altitude. Cordova has a weekly league shoot and the summer league just started last night. when you look at distance, consider how much driving you will have to do off of interstates. Hope this helps

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I think the Roseville area might be a good compromise.

Excellent residential, Auburn and Coon Creek close by and a commute down Hazel to Rancho is possible. Auburn trap club is a really nice facility.

I agree with Jon, Folsom would be a good bet, kind of in between all o0f your options, but the big thing is the work commute distance - get that as small as possible.

13. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Get a hold of Don Q went up there and shot with him last year . Rode with him and can't remember where we went.Good company there. bigunn

14. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Not to barge in on the thread (yeah, but I am), I was moving "in the country" off Twin Cities Rd just a bit. Stockton is my home club, but I was going to investigate Cordova, Alta Mesa and Sac Shooting Center. I miss the club in Sac by the golf course, but there is a Honda dealership there now.

Since I was about equal distance from Stockton to one of these clubs, I was going to test them. I seems there are some folks who have shot them all, and I would value any input. Just from what little information I can get off the web, it looks like Cordova has the most hours and days available????

Thanks for any feedback. If you want to get it off the thread, please just shoot me a PM.

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Glad to see a post from you Lori!

I wish you well on your house/condo hunt.

ss

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Interesting site to look for a home. http://www.trulia.com/

Don't miss Leatherby's Ice Creamery out on Arden. Eating there will help keep your strength up.

17. calilori

calilori TS Member

I'm a small town girl and the Arden area scares me! That and I'm allergic to milk, I totally break out in hives! LOL...what can I say? Don q thanks for the email. I look forward to meeting you and shooting with you. Didrecksen it looks like we are asking the same questions about the same area so welcome to the thread.

Thank you everybody for your advice and input!

It was one year ago tomorrow that Richard lost his life, and I really am ready to shoot again. My head is clearly spinning. Thank you all for making my return easier. I hope to see and shoot most of you someday soon.

18. neofight

neofight TS Member

Quote from Calilori: "I hope to see and shoot most of you someday soon"

Dagnabit woman, it's those small clay thing-a-ma-bobs that you're supposed to shoot at, not these geezers in their Can't Bust 'ems.''

Great line, i think i may use it myself.I'll pay you a royalty : )

19. calilori

calilori TS Member

LOL...clearly I left out a very important word....maybe it was a Freudian slip?

20. TC

TC TS Member

Good luck to you, Lori. Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.