1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So it has come to pass.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by peavine, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peavine

peavine TS Member

Today marks the end of operations for Bill Rasmussen Chevrolet. In business for some 52 years, two and a half weeks ago we were notified of our situation. The front office will remain through the end of October. As an employee that declined another offer in August, I decided to hang on with the understanding(from the owner) that we would not close and there was indeed no reason to look elsewhere. Oh well, you know that whole thing about hindsight... I guess my commute will be 20 miles a day instead of 2. Thanks, Bill Rasmussen Chevrolet employee since 5/19/1997 Jonathan Taylor

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sorry to hear of your situation, but glad you have other things going.

Nobody wants to buy a Government Motors car anymore.

3. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

You believed a car dealer?

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The effects of dealer closings are becoming very evident.

I have never seen so many used tools available on E Bay as well as Craigs list.

A car swap meet I attended a week ago was also loaded. Lots of good buys.

Regards....Gerald

5. peavine

peavine TS Member

Yeah Zara, this "we're not going anywhere" also was coming from the service manager. I told him I was thinking of leaving and saw that not much of an effort was being made at the time. So now we'll just scratch and claw to get the vacation time we have coming. Jonathan Taylor

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I lived in Mattoon Illinois back in 70 when in school at Eastern and there was a hugh scandal involving Rasmussen back then. They called him the horse trader and was he ever. He screwed so many people that GM banned him from his own dealership. Supposedly if he came on the property again his dealership would be taken away from him. I'm sure that guy is dead by now and this last guy was his son or grandson. They have been there a long time. Dan

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Ford and Chrysler are offering greater discounts to compete with GM. I wonder why that is?

8. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

A liar and a crook in an Illinois small town? I don't believe it.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

There is alot of problems in the auto industry. Not just that they have become government controlled, but they only make auto's for pavement use!

My yearly driving is about 50/50 pavement and dirt! The new auto's are lousy when it comes to driving dirt roads.

First thing that happens, all the plastic start to come apart, then the electronic start doing weird stuff that even confusses the machanic's.

I won't even go into the "looks" department, road "deicer" loves the new cars!!

KICK the government out of the private sector completly! Which means the unemployment rate will go up, but the benifits will be long lasting!!

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

I'm of the same mind...GM is dead to me now. I hope they eat dirt and die.

I hear they got a new CEO now, some guy with a Texas drawl who's supposed to start bombarding the airwaves with personal, Iacocca-style appeals to buy their shit. And that he's told his sales executives if they don't produce results (increased market share) in 3 months, he's going to can their asses.

Same old GM shit - coming out of the same old leadership style! Focus on next quarter's sales numbers to the exclusion of all else...spend amounts of money on advertising that are greater than the GDP of a quarter of the countries on earth...get some washed-up Midwestern Rock 'n Roll has-been to sell you the rights to a song that everybody's not sick of hearing (yet) so you can set the whole caper to music...and then when it doesn't work, blame the sales crew because they "didn't spend their ad dollars correctly" (and just to make sure the pain gets shared equally, tell your suppliers you're deducting 5% off all their invoices to make up for it).

Honestly - you'd think this time-worn Richard "Buck" Peterson management style would eventually fizzle out under the weight of its own failure...but no! It's alive and well, and they seem to be able to just find more and more of these Pork 'n Beans salesmen, everywhere they look. Somewhere out there, an aging VP of sales of some tits-up failure of a company is looking for a job - and somebody in Detroit (now Washington?) is looking to give him one.

I'm never buying a GM product ever again. Same, old, shit - they never learn.

11. peavine

peavine TS Member

No Dahaub, he ain't dead. Ole Bill still runs the show, which is why we're in the shape we're in. The world don't revolve around newspaper advertising anymore. They didn't stay in the game. Jonathan Taylor

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Although way down from historic levels, GM still has 19.5 % of the US market. Ford has 15.8 % with only 11.2 % of the car market. Chrysler is holding 9.2 %. We don't see the $10,000 and $15,000 off msrp advertisements in the papers on GM here in San Antonio. They are on the other manufacturers' brands. I looked at the others and I recently bought a new Buick Lucerne. GM is going to be just fine. Mr. Taylor was offered another job in recent months and I am sure he will receive another offer. It is tough right now but we will all come out of this, GM included. IMHO Ron Renouf

13. acre44

acre44 Member

I will ask my neighbor about that Honda and how much of the money he spent on it went back across the pond and didn't stay here in the USA. Not to mention the parts that are manufactured across the pond and imported here. I will also ask him how much "corporate welfare" or tax incentive was given to build that honda plant here in the states at the cost of the taxpayers.

Gimme another HONDORK the monster truck show needs to crush another one.

14. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My last Buick lasted 12 years. My daughter wouldn't let me trade it in, she wanted to buy it. Ron

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

S--t is a food group.. as we.. the voter have to eat so much of it.. A-hole is just an insult.. On a brighter note.. on Oct 13th.. my FORD van makes 20 years old..

16. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

GM will be out of business in a yr i know the guy that does ordering for dnr in wi he tried to get 2010 trucks he was told part of obamas bail out was that they had to stop building so many trucks and go to stuff that gets high mpg they are makeing a 2mo run of trucks and thats it they are all spoken for

17. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

The slimey dealers were, and still are, a big part of the problem. Once they get your money, they could care less about you.

18. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Speaking of great GMC service - I had a $61.26 ABF break sensor replaced this week by the liocal GMC dealer and they charged me $396.25 before I got out of there - just for one front wheel sensor and the labor to put it on! I don't know about you but I just hate to get Sc***ed when I know it is being done to me. You can bet I will never again take my GMC truck back to that dealer to have it worked on. the beav

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.