Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

So I finally got an eye exam...

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  dfwip9x 
#1 ·
So I finally got an eye exam. I'm a one-eye shooter (right eye) and I could tell things were not as sharp as should be. I had a long discussion with the doctor about trapshooting and the distances I needed him to focus on (pun intended). I tell him close vision is of no concern, as this will be a shooting prescription only. He determines what I need, and I pay the man. As I'm leaving, I have what turned out to be one of my few bright ideas. I asked for a trial contact lens. Anyway, I popped the contact in my eye this morning, and it works GREAT....for reading. Totally screwed up my distance vision. So I'm back to square one. Is there something I should have said to the doctor that I somehow missed???

Paul

#6 ·
SPH is a correction for near sightedness or far sightedness. A + here says that you have difficulty focusing on close objects, a - here says you have difficulty focusing on far objects (you are "near sighted".

CYL is a correction for astigmatism. This corrects for the fact that your eye is not a perfect sphere. It ranges from 0.25 to 4.00

AXIS Only present is you have astigmatism. If your eye is not a perfect sphere you can think of it as a football shape (actually more like a rugby ball but whatever). This tells you the angle of the point of the astigmatism. It can be between 0 and 180°

A few years ago one of my best shooters on my high school trap team showed up with new contacts. She was certain that the contacts would help her average which was already one of the best on the team.
Her first round with her new contact lenses was a 4. Yes a 4. Her lowest round that year before this was a 22.

I thought it was the new vision that her contacts provided that was the cause. As I talked to her I realized that she was wearing her prescription shooting glasses. As Big-M said, "you don't wear them both"

#8 ·
I'm not sure I understand the comment "you don't wear them both". My shooting glasses are not prescription, so in my mind I'm not "wearing them both".

The info on the meaning of the numbers helps...I think. Give me the bottom line. Is my correction set up for distance vision???

Paul

#10 ·
Plusx, sorry, I read it as you got prescription glasses and contacts for close work...

Contact lenses for distance should be much clearer and sharper than normal glasses.

I wonder if you have the lenses reversed? Flipped inside out? Most times lenses are specific to each eye.

#12 ·
Better yet look at the leaves on the trees with and without glasses, the one you can count the leaves will be the best lenses.

I have at least 10 sets of prescription lenses for my Randolph Ranger Frames
some are older prescription lenses and not correct Rx.
I am going to take them to the mall today and get the readings on each set
and put them in an envelope and mark them, and compare them to my present Rx
and then I will come on here and list the Rx and see who can use them.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#15 ·
I recently went through the same problem. I have always worn prescription glasses (for 65 years - 3 when I first got them) and I wanted to get some Shooting Glasses. I was advised against RX shooting glasses because of the cost and probable scratching of the RX lenses. So, I went to Contact Lenses having worn them before (30 years ago) for about 10 years. I have used the free trial lenses and having bought a set of R Rangers they work well. No problems with the contacts at all and I just need a fairly weak Reading glasses. Hope this helps,

Ron Ontario

#16 ·
After a long talk with my vision professional I ended up with mono vision contacts. That was three years ago still see very well.

My shooting eye (left) is set for the distance I need to see targets. My right eye is set for reading making it worthless for distance and clear vision (it is all somewhat blurred) but still can see distance with it.

Almost made the switch from one to two eyed shooting a natural.

Paul in GINebraska.

#17 ·
Per your suggestions, I spent a bit more time with the trial contact. I can read small print with the thing in, but definitely cannot see distance objects as clearly. I have a small tree in the landscaping and measured 30 yards away. The leaves are much sharper without the contact. Obviously, I do not have what I need. Anyone have a suggestion for an "eye guy" in Ohio that is a shooter? And Brad, who do you use and where the hell were you yesterday? You missed a prime opportunity to kick my @ss. My singles we ok, but handicap was ugly. I believe several little girls whipped me...

Paul

#18 ·
Paul, my experience is NOT to get the monovision contacts.

you want the crispest, clearest distance (30+ yards) vision you can get.

contacts allow the central point of the correction to always be where your eye looks. Glasses, they must be ground for one spot which will not be correct for different head positions.

my suggestion is to get contacts correcting vision in each eye. then get a pair of shooting glasses and stick a pair of OPTX 20/20 bifocal segments on them for your near vision.

I've done this for my shooting glasses for PPC competition where I need to see the front sight clearly.

shotgun, I took the easy way out, cataract surgery...lol

good luck

#19 ·
Paul, if your going to Marengo tomorrow with the youth team, take your RX and look up Custom Sportwear and Optical. Clarence Willis is the fella's name. Maybe he could give you some insight. Cliff out at the club goes to an eye doctor thats a shooter, but he is in Tipp City area I believe. My eye doctor is a recreational shooter/hunter who is local. Let me know if you'd like his contact info. Brad

#21 ·
BigM...thanks for the suggestions. Makes a lot of sense.

Brad, I'm going to be at Marengo tomorrow with the youth team. I will take the RX with me (great idea). Will look up Clarence Willis (does he know you?). Yes, PM your dr's contact info, I gotta do something. I will be shooting most of the week. You gonna join us? Let me know. I am with a group from the club and you can jump on one of our squads.

Paul

#22 ·
Paul, PMd you Dr info. Clarence did a new set of RX lenses for me last year. I really like how he finnished the edges, cutting down on weight.( I have a pretty strong RX). First time I ever dealt with him, but he was very reasonable and had some shooters insight into my RX and tint color selection.I couldnt get any time off this week, but might go down today to look around and check out the grudge match.Brad

#23 ·
Thanks Brad. I'll give him a call next week. No wonder I have no chance shooting against you....you can see the stupid things.....

Several of the kids asked to shoot with me this week. We are meeting every day at the food. If you can make it this weekend, cross paths with us at 9:00 a.m.

Spent the day today at Cardinal. As usual, it is amazing. Did the vet shoot and really enjoyed the kids shoot. Going to Cardinal is almost a religious experience....

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.