1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So here we are issuing opinions, but.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Nutso, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutso

Nutso Member

Those opinions have long answers to difficult problems with solutions a a long way off. SO me being me, I ask what can we do right now....this is what we can do
    1). Make a sober assessment of your home security, and gun storage. Correct any weakness.
    2.) Make a realistic assessment of your family and those with access to your home, is there a problem, a sign of instability? Will your gun security stand up to it.
    3.) Make an assessment of your neighborhood, and the families living there, i.e. those who are around when you are not. Will your home security and gunlock up stand up to a test from an intruder, or someone that would be welcome into your home no questions asked. i.e. is the guy safe always shut and locked-make it a practice.

I asked myself all of these questions today, and did take one precaution. There is an autistic boy living across the street, I have no reason to consider him violent, but I also take pause I that he might not always be rationale. Since my garage door is open often I went through it looking for loose shotgun shells or bullets that might be there... I found two in my shell pouch, I put those back in the locked cabinet with the rest of the ammo.

These are things we should all periodically do, mass shooting or not.

I have to ask myself, if Ms Lanza had taken these simple and sober assessments would we be reeling at the loss of so many lives.

It's a shame that the media doesn't issue these kinds of advice.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"There is an autistic boy living across the street,"

Take the time and effort to get to know him, if capable, introduce him to the shooting sports and TEACH him RIGHT way of doing things!

3. blacklab

blacklab Member

Nutso:

You are right!

Res. gun owners should all be doing what you said.

That is why I have a gun safe.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A new law could pass....if your gun is used in a violent act, you are personally responsible.

Of course, that would not apply to Mrs. Lanza!

5. Nutso

Nutso Member

Timberfaller, I've already determined shooting is out....but not fishing, we'll be working on doing that in the future.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Another new law. Your gun/guns must be securred in a safe. Buy stock in those finger print activated safe companies.

7. JH

JH Well-Known Member

I am going to buy stock with Browning, Ft. Knox, Liberty, Stack On, Sentry, etc.

It stands to reason, if someone lives in your home who is obviously unstable, underage, a substance abuser, etc.

BUY A GUN SAFE AND KEEP YOUR GUNS LOCKED!

Judgment and common sense, people!

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Setterman, bout time to put the bowl down. It's affecting your brain.

Gne

9. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

Nutso, your right! We need to be pro-active and being more aware of our own gun safety, family and friends access to our guns or Congress will be doing it for us, and we will not like the end product!

Rick

10. Jeebs

Jeebs TS Member

I'm not sure it's that simple, Bangalore. I totally agree it's time for all of us to double down our security and I fully intend to do so if for nothing more than my own peace of mind. As a responsible person I feel compelled to do so. But at the same time, better gun security isn't the only problem.

In this case (and Columbine as well), I feel strongly that the media has a lot to do with what is happening. I really don't feel video games or movies are in some way inducing mass murder into otherwise mild mannered people or that somehow having the mere possession of a gun makes a law abiding person want to suddenly commit murder. People's minds just don't work that way. In my opinion, what we are seeing is that there are an increasing number of people that feel trapped, under appreciated, disrespected or unpopular that want to become famous or rather infamous. What they see is terrorists getting publicity for their acts. Everyone knows who Timothy McVeigh is but name one person that he killed. Their motivation is simple, publicity. The more heinous the act, the more everyone will know their name. I am taking a lot of time to make a point here but it's all about the publicity that follows an attack. If there were no publicity for the attacker, I feel very strongly that there would be no attack.

It's not about the gun, it's all about someone feeling sorry for themselves that simply wants as much attention as possible. With the advent of instantaneous world wide news, internet, facebook, youTube and the rest it's only going to get worse. It's time to make the media understand their role in all of this. These horrible tragedies need to be reported, but we should not make a martyr out of the perpetrator.

My 2 cents.

Tim

11. timberfaller

Thats Great nutso!! Good work!

I bought a gun to keep "thieves" from getting to my stuff!! NOT my kids.

I taught them better and the difference between right and wrong.

The first thing I did after I got my safe, taught my whole family how to open it!

12. Jeebs

Jeebs TS Member

Nutso?? Really????

I honestly don't know why it is that there is an element of our own community that shows so little respect for others within the same community. Where in my post did you see me imply that I regard my family as potential terrorists??? Where in my post did I say that I haven't worked hard to instill in my boys proper handling of firearms?? You know it's bad enough that we as a community have to defend our actions to the non-shooting community but when I am attacked like this by someone supposedly "on my side" it just doesn't make sense. I just don't get it.

Bottom line is that it's people like you Mr. Timberfaller that reflect so poorly on our larger group.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I bought a safe for my guns. And when my son was old enough I bought a safe for him and moved his guns to it. He now has enough guns that he bought a second safe for himself.

14. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

It is unconsciousable that any parent, gun owner, sportsman, hunter etc would buy a firearm and leave it laying around and not have it adaquately locked up for any kids to pickup, especially if they have a child with a mental and or behavioral issue.

We lose enough enough kids, teens, hunters and even sportsman by accidently shootings. Then to leave firearms laying around that some young person turns it on his classmates and or innocent people anywhere is unforgiveable. Any parent, gun owner, hunter, sportsman etc that leaves unlocked and or unprotected gun and that gun is used to kill someone, or a child accidently shoots another person and theirself. The owner should be held directly responsible under "strict liability and prosecuted.

We firearm owners need to show the public we are advocates for gun safety. That we are doing everything humanly possible to protect our families but also protect those not trained around guns safety.

"We" have to be more than words, we have to be action. And arming our entire public..with so many people out there with drug, alcohol, mental and psychological issues is not the answer my friends! We need to make sure sane, mentally competent people who are entrusted with our kids are armed and trained, in schools, office environments, movie theaters and even in a church. We are never going to stop all of these killings but we as gun owners need to do our part to stem this senseless killing of innocent people.

Rick

15. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Things can go wrong and prudent people take precautions!

Most of us have children who may have a friend who may be a bit impulsive and unreliable...when we are away, it is not unusual for teenage boys to show off guns to friends...sometimes relatives imbibe while at a party in one's house...sometimes people break in and steal one's property....sometimes hyperactive small children come to visit....etc.

There are many scenarios where a PRUDENT gun owner can have one of his firearms misused....safe storage could have prevented the mass murder....if the mom would have kept her guns in a safe WITHOUT HER SON KNOWING HOW TO OPEN IT....some lives could have been saved.....

It is really a matter of JUDGMENT......we must all embrace the responsibility for safe gun storage....

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This assumes he did not strike at a time when mom already had the safe open. The sequence of events is vague at this point.

Be that as it may, a safe is simply a prudent precaution.

Most of you purchase insurance. A safe is like insurance. Aside from the obvious and main benefit of helping protect your firearms investment from thieves, it will also help prevent the inevitable lawsuit should one of your guns wind up with someone it shouldn't and a child gets killed. You might win in court, but the legal bill alone would break you. What's the first thing out of a defense attorny's mouth? Do you have cash, cars or guns? You may lose what's left of your gun collection just to pay legal bills. A safe is simple insurance against this. On top of that, some areas make the gun owner civilly or criminally liable if his or her gun gets into the wrong hands and a child gets killed. I don't agree with holding the victim of theft responsible for a criminal act, but the fact is that's how the law operates in some areas.

Frankly I expect that there will be a push again for mandatory gun storage laws. Might as well get a safe before demand drives prices up after a law passes.

17. Nutso

Nutso Member

My opening statement is to make an assessment, is of gun security and who has access. If your home is full of stable, responsible adults then no problem, but if there someone with issues, well then think twice about all of the above.

As gun owners we need to police ourselves, to put peer pressure on other gun owners to act prudently. Just as we all were taught in hunter safety, now it's not only to protect an individual from using his or her gun unsafely, now its to protect from someone else grabing his or her gun and using it unsafely, or to commit a crime.

18. timberfaller

"Bottom line is that it's people like you Mr. Timberfaller that reflect so poorly on our larger group."

What part of my post, Jeebs, did you not understand???

And what I would like to know is what "group" do you belong to??

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A gun without ammo compares to a electric drill or mitre saw. Nothing to power 'em and not at all dangerous without power.

Lock up the ammo first.

My 6 yo carries his Cricket 22 rifle around the house all the time. He's been dragging my M1 carbine around the house since he's 2 yo. He's also adept at carrying his rifle the proper way and knows most of the Marine Corps drill instructor commands from multiple viewings of Full Metal Jacket-one of his favorite movies.

We do not allow video games and lock up the ammo!!

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They won't quit the mood altering drugs for the kids, though.

Better bury a second option for stoing guns in your back yard.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.