1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

So Do You Think You Could Hit Target With A .22?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Saturday, June 13th the North Hollywood Sportsman's Club is offering a .22 Challenge between our ATA singles and HC events. 15 shots, 5 each from 2,3 & 4 on targets locked straight.

We can do this safely because we shoot into a mountain. Lots of our guys are just itching to have a go at this. Guys are always posting that you should shoot he tightest pattern possible because it will "make you point better". Well, one pellet is as about as tight of a pattern as you can get.

So, how many do you think you could hit?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

No chance for me, but I once saw a guy hit several out of 25. I could hardly believe my eyeballs. I thought he must have been using some kind of shot-loaded ammo but he showed me they were plain bullets.

-Gary

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

4. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

yep. challenge; lets count only the ones you shoot out the center and leave ring intact. did this as a kid with a hand tosser.jeff k.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes, but I would'nt want to talk about my average. It works but you have to shoot the rifle like it is a shot gun, forget the sights.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder if Chief AJ could?

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You bet - a bunch of us did just that at a small club in Bison, SD many years ago.

Not too inspiring, tho.

WW

8. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Are the targets moving???? I would have a chance if they were not and very close :) However I would love to give it a go.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I know it is possible as some new shooters were shooting from the 16 yd line and I was breaking their misses with a 22 rifle shooting long rifle bullets I hit quite a few of them, and they accused me of shooting shotshells, the guy that owned the gun said no he isn't they are long rifle bullets because I gave them to him.

When I hit them it was a ball 0f smoke, I broke 50% of them, I shot at them like a shotgun, did not use sights.

The trap shooters in doubt put their guns away and left.

This was done at Bud Hinderers off Route 42 north of Plain City Ohio in the early 70s.

There were a lot of witnesses.

I can still do it today.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Never shot clays but have busted many rocks thrown the same way. Was easier throwing them up.

11. BMC

BMC Member

Can I use my AR instead? :)

12. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Pistol or rifle?

13. Brian in Oregon

Longshot, I would really like to see you in action. Pity you're not near Portland. That would be quite enjoyable.

14. Brian in Oregon

Now HERE'S a 22 that I might be able to hit an aerial target with.<br>
    <br>
    I wonder how it patterns?

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Brian the gun I was shooting was an old Coon Hunting Bolt Action rifle Bud Hinderer had, the gun stock fit me like my trapshooting gun did, I just pointed it like my trap gun and Smoke, While in the Army I was on the Army Rifle team, as I had fired Expert with M1-Garrand, 45 Auto pistol, 50 Cal Machine gun and 30 Cal Machine gun, my company commander recomended me to the marksmansip unit.

I would love to do it again but it is hard to find a range where you can shoot targets in the air with an embankment to stop the bullets.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Years ago there was a shooting coach Army or Marine I forget wich, taught hitting moving targets, and I remember part of the traing was trap targets, with an M1 carbine, with it sights taped over. He was just deadly on anything that moved!

I have a 22 rifle that when I shot it regularaly I got to the point anything smaller then a quarter and not moving was just boringly easy to hit. I still have the rifle. to bad I don't have the time or money to get there, I also haven't shot it much in the last twenty years.

Probably fall flat on my face to try it now, but it can be done, twenty hears ago I would have put money down on myself at 40% or better. But that was then and this is now!

and ya ya eveyone has a story to tell

Al Lingham

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

A friend of mine, now passed (Sam Chaffin) set the trap to throw soft straight away targets and used his 22 rifle to shoot them. He would hit around 1 out of 15. I tried it and hit one out of 9. Unlike Gary, all we could get was a few large pieces of broken target. Nothing like a ball of smoke. I have difficulty figuring out how a single 22 bullet could smoke a target.

Pat Ireland

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you hold it still, I'll hit it ... I used to be able to shoot the flame off of a lit candle with open sights when I was younger ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

A bunch of us did this about twenty-five years ago at the Midwest Gun Collector's Range. Locked the trap down, shot only from station three. Out of ten, several of us got two, one got three. I got three on my own using an old Stevens 22/410 -- with the 22 barrel. Calm day, straightaways, you have a little window of time where they peak and before they start down. Doubt I could hit them today with the much older eyes.

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've done it many, many times up at the gravel pit. Not as hard as it sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.