1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snowed In!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Anchorsteam, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Here's a neat photo of trees covering our street and our power line!
    [​IMG]

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

OMG!!!! Obviously it hasn't affected your electricity at the house. Or are you posting from elsewhere? It doesn't look like you can go anywhere soon.

3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...we are running a portable 10KvA generator. One of the neighbors has a hardwired, permanent natural gas 25 KvA generator - really cool.

Funny thing about the downed trees is that the house with trees in front of it has a semi-circular driveway which is conveniently functioning as the 'street' to get around the tree. I forgot to mention this to my boss today:^) You can see one side of the semi-circle in the right side of the photo! The other side opens up just beyond the tree.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Same here in northeast Md. ..we have power though because our towns system is all underground..and under 16-19in of white stuff

5. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Looks like the drift at the mailbox is half way. That makes it hard to travel in something other than a four wheel drive. Good luck getting around. In the midwest here in Illinois lately we haven't had any new snow of any depth. The snow cover is about three inches in Champaign. High humidity and windy. 22 degrees this am. Dan

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Stay safe. I would have stayed home, too.

7. donegal shooter

donegal shooter Member

I don't know where this is but it feels like this in central Mass.

Slainte,

Scott

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The first picture is of an overgrown forest, will always look like that after a good snow fall. See it here all the time, home owners here don't like cutting down trees!! or thinning! Let alone LOGGING !

They've even tried to stop the power company's from trimming back their right of ways, then belly ache to them when their power goes off when a tree takes out the line or even a pole.

There is something to be said about "being prepared"!

A real forest is one you can SEE through!!

Good luck and stay warm.

9. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

The OP's pic looks like us last Feb. 24" snow and 0-5 degree temps.

The state road was closed 5 days, and power was off 6 1/2 days.

We had the diesel generator running, and woodstove going the whole time, so weren't affected too badly, but the 24" of wet snow sucked.

10. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

19.0" here in northern CT from this storm. I hear this makes it the snowiest month on record - EVER - in CT. We had 29.0" about 10 days ago. My day of snow cleaning was going fairly well ... until I sent the broom I was using to clean the wifes car ... thru the rear window !! aRRGHH !!!!

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

We got 8" last night---Cabin fever---George
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Man you guys are having all the luck. We are way behind in snowfall this year.

13. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Alaska must be the HOT vacation spot by now,all that Al Goreing and we will have palm trees soon.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Annnnnnddddddddddddddddddd ... it was 78°F and Sunny at my house today!

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Timberfaller,

I fight the battle of thinning a harvesting trees constantly here in New Jersey. I have 1100 acres which I have been working in for several years and have gotten it into pretty good shape. However, the laws and regulations have changed so that I could never do it now. Now we have so much fuel build up in the woods that the dangern of a catastrophic wildfire if enormous.

It looks pretty in the snow but the clean up afterwards can take weekis or longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.