1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SNOWBLOWER QUESTION

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A neighbor of my son has a snowblower he really needs to sell . I know very little about a snowblower I have a small MTD and it is to small .

It,s a Sears 9 horse three years old but he is saying only about 10 hours ??
    My question is about the Tracks it has . Tracks don,t look like anything I would like . Anyone have a snowblower with tracks ?? Also what is it worth my son said it looks good ??

Thanks

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Snow blowers with tracks are great. They have much more traction than wheeled types. They go over irregularities much better also.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have a Sears with tracks that was handed down to me because the carb needed to be rebuilt. It a 24' path and 40.00 dollars later I have a fantastic sno blower that would cost $500.00 new.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

How do they handle gravel?

5. Dusted1

Dusted1 TS Member

I would not use the snow blower in gravel if i could help it as the gravel will chip the finish on the rotors and the chute and over time you will have the snow plugging up inside. If you have a gravel driveway then set the shoes on the front so that it is raised up to minimize the pickup of any gravel.

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The thing about a tracked snowblower, from what I've heard is.......

If you have a straight line to blow, they are okay.

But if you have to keep turning corners they are not as easy to manage as a wheeled snowblower with chains.

Hauxfan!

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I bought my first tracked snow blower (MTD 8 HP) in 1993. The usual maintenance and it's still working fine today. Had an opportunity to by a lightly used tracked 9 HP Yardman (same thing) a couple years ago and snapped it up, quickly. Yes, I have two, and never want to be without a tracked snow blower, they are that good. Unbelievable traction.

Haux,,,MTD's are easily steerable with disengagement controls on the handle bars, for each side. Tecumseh's are fine motors. It's to bad they don't exist anymore.

8. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

Hauxfan,

I also have a tracked Sears snow thrower, to me, they are the only way to go. Electric start, been sitting out in the yard since I bought it new in 1996. Only thing I have to do in the coming year is to get another carburetor for it. It has little finger triggers to make it turn, and believe me, it could not be any easier to operate. Cost me about $1,000 back then. All the wheeled models I see around here has to have chains to get any kind of traction. Neighbor across the street just said last week he would like to buy iy. I usually clean my whole block, and all the driveways, and only use about 3 gallons of gas. Neighbors always want to pay me, but I only tell them what type of cake or pie I like and you should see how many are on my table in a day or so...LOL...................Rick Johnson

9. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I have a Honda 924 with tracks That is 10 years old and it is great. You have to remember when you are using it the driveway is slippery and turning it takes no more effort than an Ariens with the wheels locked together. With the Honda you can adjust the rear end up and down to scrape with no effort. With an Ariens the front is light and when you get into heavy wet snow at the end of the driveway where the plow puts it the front kicks up. I have run them all and I would buy the Honda again in a heartbeat! I am in Rochester NY and we have had 40 inches so far this year with another 6 on the way tonight.
    Get one with tracks and buy the Honda if you can!

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Guys, I was just going by what the salesman told me 18 years ago when I bought my John Deere snowblower.

They have probably made improvements since then.

And I still have a set of chains on my snowblower and they have been on it the whole 18 years. Works great for me.....

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.