1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

snow mobile help needed greatly

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shootgood, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootgood

shootgood Member

I know this is a shooting site, but most all of us have other interests besides shooting. I have a 2001 Yamaha sxr 700 snow mobile that I purchased last year for my wife. The snow mobile ran great and I parked it for the winter in the garage-went out when we were moving and I was not able to pull the rope to start it (does not have electric start). This happened right after I bought it and a friend was fiddling around and all of a sudden it pulled normal and started, he did not know what he did. Now I have tried to start the thing over 20 times but the rope is so hard to pull I have no luck. I pulled the plugs and they are dry-was thining poss leak down but nothing. Any help you guys are able to provide would be greatly appreciated. This is our 1st snow mobile and I hope it is something simple. Thanks and take care--Shoot good

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

up for this one....I wanna see some ideas too

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

the cylinders are dry from sitting. Drizzle some two stroke oil into them and leave the plugs out and pull the start a few times until it rolls over easily. Put new gas and oil into it and it should start. That old of a sled it could be some carb problems too. the triples like that one can give you some grief. Bill

4. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

If it's a two stroke motor,there maybe a compression release on it. I had a Yamaha dirt bike and if I did'nt hit the release you went turning it over. Just a thought,good luck..Ray

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Pull the plugs and put a small amount of diesel fuel in the cylinder and let it sit. As the above post, sounds like your rings and pistons are seized. The diesel will slowly work its way around the piston and rings and should free them up. Don't force anything. If it doesn't work immediately, try it again.

P.S. Why was it stored in the winter? Ain't that when you use those things?

6. shootgood

shootgood Member

Thanks everyone, I will try the advise the weekend and write back. We bought the snow mobile b/c our house was for sale and we were buying land. We only had 1/4 acre in the city but now have some land in the country to use it this winter-just never used it last winter-thanks and take care- Shoot good

7. shootgood

shootgood Member

As a side note when I had the plugs out a few weeks ago it was still difficult to pull so I was also thinking compression release of some sort but someone had told me this model did not have that. I will try what you guys sugested and report back monday or so. Thanks again

8. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

A snowmobile is a lot like a woman.........

9. racer

racer TS Member

If the spark plugs are out, there will be no compression. It sounds like the cylinders were close to rusting stuck. No compression release. It sounds like your friend got it un-stuck. Oil it up and pull thru a bunch of times.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Could be a clutch problem. Make sure the belt is not engaging in the clutch. Take the belt off first then crank it over, to see if it is easier.

11. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Buy one with electric start. Life is way to long to be pulling a rope.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In the future, when you put the unit in storage, run it out of gas, pull the plugs and put some oil in the cylinders and pull the rope a few times then fill again and install the plugs. Should be ready to go next year.

13. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

Best snowmobile website available......

14. SPW895

SPW895 Member

I have worked with older Yamaha 600 and 500 sleds and they can be tempermental. I would take the drive belt off and remove all spark plugs. The engine should turn over freely. If it is still difficult to turn over you need to soak the pistons in a small amount of diesel fuel or two cycle oil as others have recomended. With no plugs in you should be able to spin it over easily. You may need to soak overnite. repeat until you get it to spin freely. With the belt off you know that the extra force required is not the belt sticking in the bottom of the clutch on the engine.

The carbs will need to be cleaned, the old fuel from the tank siphoned out and fresh fuel added. gas only has a shelf life of 2-3 months before it starts to decompose. You will need to clean the main and idle jets in each carb. Most sled run different versions of mikuni carbs and they are easy to clean and assemble. If you can find a tune up book for John deere Liquirefire snowmobiles (ebay) they have a good section on cleaning carbs and assy.Drain the old gas out of the carb and remove the bowl. The main jet is normally a hex shaped fitting inside the bowl. remove from the carb and spray carb cleaner and compressed air thru untilyou can see thru the hole and then reinstall. the idle jet is normally up inside the carb and about 3/16" in diameter. It will be removed with a small flat bladed screwdriver. flip the carb over so the bottom is now up and with the screwdriver reach down inside the aluminum flange of the carb and remove the idle jet. do not strip the screwdrive slot. WIth the idle jet removed soak in carb cleaner and bow out with air. Reassemble the carb and jets. If it has 3 carbs you willbe a gear head in no time. If the sled won't idle you did notget the small holes in the jet clean.

Once you have the carbs cleaned and put back on I would get a primer bulb and install it betwen the tank and the fuel pump in the fuel line. They are available from Dennis Kirk of MN (sled parts). You can now prime the fuel system up to the carb so there is less rope pulling to start.

WIth the engine spinning freely and new gas and carbs cleaned (you might also install new plugs) you are ready to go. The sled do not have a choke but use a throttle enricher on each carb to add fuel to the engine to start. If you need more help let me know.

Stan

15. fly

fly Active Member

If it pulls over freely it will take at least 25 good pulls to fuel up the system with the vacuum fuel pump. Or take a small amount of pre-mix and pour it down the plug holes,(don't over do it) if all is well, (compression & spark) it will start. May need to do this a couple times until the fuel gets to the carbs.

16. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Probably a clutch problem. No compression release those are for a four stroke engine because of higher compression. Like stated above remove belt,plug's , small amount of oil and keep pulling it over. After all this is done install new plug's gas and she will more than likely fire. Ride safe and shoot em all.

George.

17. xunit13

xunit13 TS Member

If the diesel fuel doesn't work, use Rislone. I freed up an old sled a couple years ago and it is still good.

Charlie

18. shootgood

shootgood Member

Sorry everyone-I had things stated wrong-with the plugs out the snow mobile rope will pull fine-with plugs in it barely pulls-someone had noted possibly the belt being the issue-just not familiar at all with snow mobiles thanks again--Shoot good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.