1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snow goose hunting in missouri

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Molimestone, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Molimestone

Molimestone TS Member

Anyone have referrals for quality guide services or leases on snow goose hunting in missouri?

2. octoberclaire

octoberclaire Active Member

I see that no one has replied so here's my 2 cents. This will be my third year going to Arkansas. Most of the outfitters follow the migration from Arkansas north to at least Missouri. Best advice is to contact outfitters and go with one your comfortable with. I've hunted with Northern Skies for the last two years but will hunt with Waterfowl Junkies this year. Why? Because after two dates I'm not going to marry them. Lets see another angle on how another outfitter handles things. Northern Skies worked hard at getting in a good migration field. Mind you that they run multiple groups every day and if you had the best day today. Tomorrow your going to get the lesser field. You'll see more birds in Missouri but perhaps not kill more. Timing and weather are everything. If you hit it right it's really exciting. Don't let the videos go to your head. There not the norm. Hope it helps.

3. BIG ED WOLKEN

BIG ED WOLKEN Active Member

Check with Run and Gun outfitters and others in the Mound City area.

4. FlynLiver

FlynLiver Active Member

Last Pass Guide service they guide in and around Mound City They are out Rochester Mn were they guide Canada Goose Hunting True Professionals
    IMG_20130226_190817.jpg

5. HuffinK5

HuffinK5 Member

A few friends and I did a snow goose hunt in Dexter, MO 3 years ago for my bachelor party. We used In Your Face Outfitters. I highly suggest you NOT use them. Extremely unprofessional. It's a 1-man operation, and he sometimes gets another guy or two to help him out. We drove down there, the guide was supposed to meet us at the "lodge" at 3pm. After repeated phone calls and voice mails, the guys girlfriend showed up at 8pm to open up the "Lodge" for us. I say "Lodge" because that is how it was described to us, turns out it was a run down cottage in a trailer park in the middle of town. The couple of pictures he had on the website were of the select couple areas of the place that looked better than the rest. The "included meals" were from local fast food joints, until we went to the grocery store and bought our own food to eat after day 2. We had to set up the decoys and layout blinds for ourselves. After we got all tucked in the blinds, the guide went and slept in his truck. We hunted for 4 days, shot 6 snow geese total. We had 8 guys. I just tried to Google them, couldn't find anything. Maybe they went out of business...that would be well earned.

6. Molimestone

Molimestone TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking into Mound City. It may be the winner.

7. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i live 20 miles from mound city and hang out where guides eat --i dont know alot of the goose guides but if you need a lil direction - welcome to call me during the day
    wally riebesell rock port, mo 64482

8. redjones

redjones Member

Anybody with 600-1000 socks and a E-caller seems to think they are qualified to be a spring snow goose guide in Missouri these days.
    Whoever you decide to go with do yourself a big favor and do as much research as possible on the outfitter before you book.
    Way to many fly by night expert goose slayer wanna be guide's that talk a good talk but fall way short in the actual knowledge and skills it takes to produce birds day in and day out for weeks at a time.
    There are tons of first time snow goose hunters that get taken advantage of by these guys,the stories are endless.
    A couple of quick questions to ask are,how many shooters per field (are you shooting with other groups of hunters)does the guide shoot(some people don't mind some do),will you be moved if fields are not producing(nothing worse than hunting the same field for 3 days straight and not killing anything)are you expected to help with decoys and blinds (for some guys it an enjoyable part of the hunt for others not so much)how many hours a day do you hunt(6,8),food,lodging etc.
    If there are 4 of you hunting and average 20-30 birds a day thats a good 3 day shoot,and of course 100 plus days happen but don't expect one no matter what your guide says or promises.
    Take a look at these guys,not cheap, but a great reputation. Habitat Flats: Duck Hunting North America | Habitat Flats

Good Luck............Greg

2500 HD thanked this.
  9. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is a picture that Foster took along with a few segments from when he did Waterfowl Obsession on the Sportsman's Channel. Enjoy.
    Snow Geese.jpg

10. SD Trap Family

One more link for you to watch from last Spring.

11. FlynLiver

FlynLiver Active Member

That was cool I love it when there a so many you just spray and pray. That was impressive how the dog stayed tell released most cant handle all the shots and birds dropping. Except for Decoy he could sleep through a war I would have to wake him up to fetch birds.
    Impressive spread too most guides wont have all full bodies. 2 300 fulls a round the blind the rest will be wind socks if your lucky most just use wind socks.
    If you go snow goose hunting with a guide don't think your going to shoot 100 birds a day if your guide tells you that he's lying.
    One more thing that is almost as important as your gun and shells THE BIRD HITCH for cleaning (Makes life good)

SD Trap Family thanked this.
  12. SD Trap Family

The Bird Hitch is amazing. It cleans birds quickly and easily.

Shadow, Foster's dog, does a great job of holding tight until he releases him. Some of the other dogs in the field are gone as soon as you sit up.

Bud

13. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Had a bad experience with prairy wing outfitters. Would not recommend them at all.

14. Molimestone

Molimestone TS Member

Thank again, I appreciate all the info. Habitat flats does look amazing.