1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower/Thrower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

It's time to replace my 21" single stage, electric start Toro Thrower with something similar. Toro and several other brand names sell a current version.

The primary difference from one brand to another appears to be the color of the plastic housing and price. Engine size and functional features seem to be pretty much the same.

So... anybody had recent experience with a Toro Power Clear 621E, a Cub Cadet 221 HP (or HPL), or a 21" Craftsman?

sissy

PS: In my corner of the world six inches is a lot of snow. More than a foot happens but it's rare. A two stage blower is way overkill.

2. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I have no experience with those particular models, but I did buy a great snow blower by Columbia. (A Canadian company) What a life saver it was. I used it 3 times last year and boy was I glad to have it. It is a 26" wide model with about a 22 hp engine.

Oscar

3. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Sissy I have a shovel that I will give you. It does a good job of removing snow. :) (Just Kidding)

4. FIB

FIB Member

I live in N. IL (near the WI border) and we tend to get alot of snow. I bought a Toro 3 years ago and have been VERY pleased with it.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

bird30:

Shovel?? Never heard of such a thing. : )

sissy

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I got a John Deere on 11/29/2000, model 1128DE. This is an 11 horsepower snow blower, 28 inch width and 20 inch opening height.

I am very pleased with this snow blower, it does a great job in wet snow or powder.

I have not had any mechanical problems with this blower.

Frank

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have a Simplicity with a Techumse engine. Extremely happy with it. My wife about sh*t when I spent 1000.00 on this, but back then, when she was still like her side of the family, she just did not understand quality and common sense, now she is a perfect wife and fully understands.....then came the 650.00 push mower and the Stihl power equipment, I have never looked back on any of those buys.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Toro, Ariens.........avoid the big box stores, their models are built to lesser specs. That said, the little single stage thrower types are cheap enough to replace every 4 years, if you don't get much snow.

HM

9. chemist

chemist Member

I bought the Cub Cadet last year - for smaller snowfalls it worked well, for the big one least year my neighbors two stage blowers were used. they had HONDA , MTD, and Craftsman- the Honda was by far better than any and it was much older- all metal- no plastic.- big cost. The cadet has a 4 stroke, electric start, I pulled twice and it started and ran well, and is fairly light so that I can put it on a tail hitch carrier easily. The two stage are very heavy. I wanted to see how it started when I was away from 110volts. After use, I cleaned and siliconed the auger and at the end I changed the oil and drained the tank- this fall I added fresh gas and two pulls had me running again. Would I buy it again, yes. but I have good neighbors with two stage machines who help out when the city plow throws a two ft plus wall of snow and ice in front of the driveway.

Buy now before the snow hits as the price and availability change. I live in NJ.

Rich K- chemist

10. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Oscar,

How far you throwing that snow???

22HP is quite a bit for a walk behind snow thrower.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A lot of the new Toro have Chinese engines and are beyond being POS. BE CAREFUL! To buy parts for the engines when they break (and they will often) is a real treat.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Ariens hands down. Tried many over the years.

13. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

Use clean fresh fuel and they all should give you good service for many years.

14. twotimer

twotimer Member

Use non-ethonal fuel if you want to use it next year also. Years ago when I lived in Utah and was into rc airplanes, we had a wet heavy snow. I had one of thoses MTD snow throwers. Great machine! Thought I could use a little more power so I dumped some model airplane fuel with 15 % nitro methane in it. Wow! Snow was flying, belts were smoking and it smelled a little like a AA fuel dragster. Went to shut it off, kept running! engine was hot enough to diesel the fuel. Didn't hurt anything but thought twice about doing it again! Mike

15. TC

TC TS Member

Sissy, for your application it would be hard to beat the Toro Power Clear 621E.
    Go with what you know, don't use any ethanol.

16. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Tom,

I am throwing snow a good 40 ft. I love this snow blower!

Oscar

17. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I am retiring my old Simplicity in leu of a new Ariens 28" Professional. Did some research and settled on that model. Twice the price of a homeowner model, and a bigger motor. Ordered it back in early Nov. Hope it gets here before the snow.

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Anyone have any experience or comments on the SEARS CRAFTSMAN 24" DUAL-STAGE Thrower. Was looking at Toro about the same size or Ariens. HOWEVER, they are Twice The PRICE? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

When I researched the Craftsmans, the main complaint seemed to be, failure of the company to provide extra shear pins for the blades. Not sure if it was because they were being used on gravel drives or not. Complainers sounded like it was their first snow blower. Still haven't given up on my Toro 200s (old single stage 2 cycle), but they can be overwhelmed if I let the snow get much past 6" before I attack it.

20. lboh

lboh Member

I bought this Troy-Bilt a couple of years ago and very happy with it as I needed the work load, traction, and self propelled. I believe they sell single stage also. You dont have a lot of snow but if you have a large area to clear, think about the self propelled to help you with fatigue. I pull the handle and it pulls me......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.