1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower Recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dverna, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am looking for a top of the line unit for Michigan snows. Must be able to handle up to 12" and a width of 30"-32".

What do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks,

Don Verna

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Honda Trac Drive. I have had one for ten years with no major problems. Just shear pins and oil changes. This year I put new belts on it.

Mine is a 928 HS.
    I live in upstate New York and we get alot of snow. I have had Ariens in the past, they are a good machine but will not compare to the Honda.

With the Trac drive you can load the front end so it will scrape the driveway. The other machines are light in the front and you have to fight to keep the front down on hard packed snow.

The Hondas are expensive but I think they are well worth it. If I were to buy a new one today I would not get the electric start as I have never used mine it starts on the first pull always.

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I absolutely second a Honda.

Mine has tires but I'm sure tracks are great.

Reasons? Power, reliability, hydrostatic drive which makes it easy to change speed and direction. Did I say power?

I live in MN and while we don't have snow this year, usually we do. I am the only one in the neighborhood with a Honda and it's fun to watch the other guys mess around with their units while I make the snow fly.

4. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I looked all over Tampa and can't find any.

5. archangel

archangel Member

I have been told that next year john deere SB will be made by Honda

6. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Just make sure you take the wife along to help pick it out

it will maybe make it easier for you to talk her into using it.

I tried to show my wife how to start and use mine. She told me

to go to hell she ain't starting it or pushing it. SHE HASN'T EITHER!!

I did my best but to no avail. I think she gets a kick out of me running the

damn thing. Ken U. I have a Sears, handles do not adjust for height blows snow

good but there are better ones out there. More user friendly one. If it is

awkward to put hands on handles when looking to purchase it will be a Big pain later.

7. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I too have a Honda928HS.Mine has the tracks.Less slip and no need of chains with the tracks.With the tracks you can climb stairs and clean off decks.The next step up is a 1132HS but they start to get a little pricey then..KS-OKIE

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Tracked ones may be all right, but when I bought mine, the salesman also said that if you maneuver a lot, you won't like it. They are harder to move around and are best on straight sidewalks.

Having been told that, I ended up buying a John Deere that had wheels and couldn't be happier.

Hauxfan!

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Don:

I don't know about bigger units but many single stage snow throwers have gone to Chinese engines. Toro is one of several examples. None of their sales literature speaks to the issue and sales folks avoid the subject like it's the plague.

Before you buy something, ask, "who makes the engine and where is made?" They won't touch the subject unless you ask point blank.

sissy

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Don, listen very carefully to Sissy. Be very aware of Chinese engines. They are junk, break down often and when they do, YOU WILL NOT find parts. Just go talk to the folks over at Wheels and Blades in Commerce and see what they say. Their words to me: "Toro has about put us out of business because of their switch to Chinese engines" and "EVERY product that we sold with a Chinese engine has come back to haunt us and we just can't get any parts".

Look into the Honda.

11. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

The salesman who told you a track drive is hard to maneuver must not have had any to sell. On a wet or snow covered driveway there is no problem. A wheel drive Areins with the axel locked is just as hard to move. It is not as easy to maneuver on a dry garage floor but how often do you snowblow the inside of your garage?
    Scott

12. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I had a Sears for more than 25 years. Marvelous machine.

Thought it was time for a new one and bought another Sears. It's not the machine it replaced by a long shot.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy a John Deere. Electric controls for everything, and it's front heavy, the way it should be.

I live in Barrie ON which is in the snow belt. We can get a foot and a half over night, so we need something that works.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Do NOT buy from a big box house like Home Depot, etc.

Their machines are produced on special bids, and they can sell for a lower price due to the different spec.

Do buy from an implement or small engine dealer. Sears may be ok because they do have a customer service department that sort of works.

I would go for Ariens, and try not to get the one with the aluminum gear box.

There was also an issue with the deflector on the chute, some troubles reported there.

I prefer Tecumseh to Briggs, but that's a Ford/Chevy argument.

The Hondas I am sure are wonderful, and so is the price.

HM

14. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Tecumseh is out of business see the link. All Toro engines are made in CHINA, and they are JUNK!

15. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

This baby moves snow!!!

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Excellent stuff guys.

I was close to getting a Toro until I read here the engines are made in China.

I think I have it narrowed down to an Ariens Platinum ST 30DLE,, Cub Cadet 930 SWE, or Honda HS928.

Don Verna

17. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Don, I have the Ariens 24" with a Tecumseh engine and it's been reliable and I think is enough snow blower for SE Michigan. I've lived in Rochester NY and Grand Rapids where you might need more machine but here any good 2-stage will get the job done.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

20yard,

The reason I am looking at a bigger machine is I intend to move to northern/upper Michigan where they get hammered. If I were to stay south, a lesser machine would do the trick.

Thanks,

Don Verna

19. twotimer

twotimer Member

A long time a ago, when I lived in Wis., I bought my wife, Sue, a snow blower for christmas. Now my wife, Jill, and I live in Fl. Mike

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

twoatlow8, he did indeed have the tracked snowblowers on hand.

I'm sure he was just relating his experience from selling them.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.