1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snow belters - Savage snow camo guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Savage Snow Camo Predator Hunter and 93R17XP

[​IMG]<br>
    [​IMG]

I don't get enough snow to justify these (I'll just wrap white cloth around the front of my gun if need be) but for those in the snow belt these might be the ticket. The pattern looks perfect for snow blanketed cut corn stalks and scrub brush. Also, for deer hunters who hunt in the snow, note the Predator Hunter also comes in .243. (Hopefully a .308 version will be out some day.)

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

When I hunt in the snow I just use those ace bandage wraps in white and my gun blends in, no problem and no expence on a new gun.....:)

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Yeah but 5spd you are missing the point. It would be much cooler and more fun to buy one of these cool guns.

Brian, you seem to be a rifle guru. What do you know about and think of the DPMS Mark 12.

I'd like to buy one, mostly because it looks so cool, but also to use for prairie dogs and coyotes.

Any input?

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Nah I got the point, just that Im cheap when it comes to fancy camo & that I dont need another Varmint rig.....:)

I have 2 friends that have Bushmaster ARs they use extensivly for p-dogs & coyotes out here, heavy 24" target bbls, trigger jobs, target scopes and darn accurate. I like to have my empties at my side rather then 6-10 feet away in the tall grass though.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    5spd, you can get cartridge case deflectors for AR's that will deposit the brass at your feet. They are commonly used by High power and target shooters.<br>
    <br>
    Also, I can't justify a gun with a dedicated snow camo finish. So I'll just put white tape or cloth on as needed. But I am able to justify camo'd guns for coyoting, and make full use of them.<br>
    <br>
    handlepuller, I've never handled the DPMS Mk 12. However, DPMS does make a good rifle. The Mk 12 has a lot of tactical features that for most hunters are useless, unless you live in a state that allows night hunting with the use of lasers or lights. Then the rails are of use. It has flip up sights, which are always a good idea for backing up optics. It also has an 18" barrel, which is finding favor as a compromise between 16" and 20". It appears DPMS has the gas block in the same position as a 20" barrel, and that 2" have been trimmed off the end of the barrel. I think their picture is bogus. You need a very long eye relief scope with backup sights because they shove the scope way forward. It might be best to sight in the iron sights, then remove the rear sight and stow it. Perhaps in the trap door in the buttstock, if it will fit, plus a wrench. This would allow the scope to be mounted properly. Of course, if you use something like an EOTech or a red dot, eye relief doesn't matter.<br>
    <br>
    You might want to check out Rock River Arms. The make an A4 varmint gun that can be optioned with 16", 18", 20" or 24" barrels. It does not come with sights, but they can easily be added later.<br>
    <br>
    Bushmaster makes hunting AR15's. Bushmaster makes a 20" camo'd rifle for coyotes, and also 24" varmint rifles in black with carbon steel or stainless barrels. Bushmaster also makes the V-Match, which is a flat top with a free floated barrel that comes in rifle or carbine versions. This gun is a few hundred bucks less than the Varmint and Predator models, because it lacks the match trigger. The rifle with 20" or 24" barrels is similar to the Predator or Varmint versions. But the 16" V-Match carbine is not duplicated by either of those models.<br>
    <br>
    I went with the Remington R15 predator carbine. This model has a fixed stock and an 18" barrel. The gas tube is a couple inches further out than on a 16" barrel, but not as far out as a 20" barrel. This increases reliability, and the longer barrel reduces blast a bit. It balances better for me than 20" rifles. It has a camo finish, and since I'm in areas where coyotes can get up close and personal, that's a plus. If you are shooting long range in the open, it's of less importance. Rem also makes a 22" rifle, and another 18" carbine with a telescoping stock, which is nice because you can adjust it for summer and heavy winter clothes. (I get my beard and moustache caught in these stocks, so I prefer fixed.) The barrel is lighter profile on the R15 than the others. I've lost strength in my left arm, so the R15 is easier for me to hold up. It's also easier to carry for long distances. But the barrel will heat up faster than a heavyweight. I have a heavy 20" flattop, but I only use it from a bipod anymore.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    I topped mine with an EOTech 552. Here it is in a test against camo clothing in sunlight and shade.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    As for sights, there are numerous sights available that fit the flat top, and also fit either a flat top gas block, or a shaved gas block. If you want more details, let me know.<br>
    <br>
    Whatever you go with, you're on the right track. Get a good, free floated barrel with a flat top receiver. BTW, Cerberus group now owns Remington, Bushmaster (who makes the Rem R15 for them), and DPMS.<br>
    <br>

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

That R15 looks like it might be the way to go Brian.

Let's say you were going to put a scope on it. What would you choose?

Say price isn't much of a consideration.

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I find the snow Camo guns in the spring . Guys lay them down to pee and can,t find them . I get six or so every spring .

ALF

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Never quite understood why people wore camo, or carried camo guns, when hunting deer, especially if their state (like mine) requires them to have 250 inches of blaze orange on also. In my experience, being still goes a helluva lot further when deer hunting than camo does. I've leaned up still against a tree and had deer come within 20 yards of me and stand there and stare at me, not quite sure what I was. I've sat on a chair next to a tree puffing on a cigarette and had deer come along beside me less than 20 yards away and not be aware I was there until they got in front of me/downwind and caught a whiff. Could have shot them at any time if I'd had a doe tag.

~Michael

9. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Coming back from Deer hunting last Saturday (CA early season), I noticed all these young road hunters going up and down the roads dressed in camo. I guess it makes them feel more like hunters wearing camo. My thought, lazy little b------- that couldn't make a pimple on a real hunters A--. Dan