1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snopes unveiled

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ArmySGM, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Had this e-mailed to me and as we had already figured out, Snopes is usually a bunch of crap.

Gary

For the past few years www.snopes.com <http://www.snopes.com> has positioned itself, or
    others have labeled it, as the 'tell all final word' on any comment, claim and
    Email.
    But for several years people tried to find out who exactly was
    behind snopes.com. Only recently did Wikipedia get to the bottom of it - kinda makes you wonder what they were hiding. Well, finally we know. It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators
    and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop
    operation that began as a hobby.

David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California
    started the website about 13 years ago - and they have no formal background
    or experience in investigative research. After a few years it gained
    popularity believing it to be unbiased and neutral, but over the
    past couple of years people started asking questions who was behind it and did
    they have a selfish motivation? The reason for the questions - or skepticism
    - is a result of snopes.com claiming to have the bottom line facts to
    certain questions or issue when in fact they have been proven wrong. Also,
    there were criticisms the Mikkelsons were not really investigating and getting to the 'true' bottom of various issues. I can personally vouch for that complaint.

A few months ago, when my State Farm agent Bud Gregg in Mandeville
    hoisted a political sign referencing Barack Obama and made a big splash across
    the internet, 'supposedly' the Mikkelson's claim to have researched
    this issue before posting their findings on snopes.com. In their statement
    they claimed the corporate office of State Farm pressured Gregg into
    taking down the sign, when in fact nothing of the sort 'ever' took place.

I personally contacted David Mikkelson (and he replied back to me)
    thinking he would want to get to the bottomof this and I gave him Bud Gregg's
    contact phone numbers - and Bud was going to give him phone numbers to the
    big exec's at State Farm in Illinois who would have been willing to
    speak with him about it. He never called Bud. In fact, I learned from
    Bud Gregg no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm. Yet,
    snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if
    they did all their homework and got to the bottom of things - not!

Then it has been learned the Mikkelson's are jewish - very
    Democratic (party) and extremely liberal (emphasis added).

As we all now know from this presidential election, liberals have a purpose agenda to discredit anything that appears to be conservative. There has been much criticism lately over the Internet with people pointing out the Mikkelson's liberalism revealing itself in their website findings. Gee,what a shock?

So,I say this now to everyone who goes to www.snopes.com to get
    what they think to be the bottom line facts...'proceed with caution (emphasis added)..

Take what it says at face value and nothing more. Use it only to lead you to their references where you can link to and read the sources for yourself. Plus,you can always google a subject and do the research yourself. It now seems apparent that's all the Mikkelson's do. After all, I can personally vouch from my own experience for their 'not' fully looking into things.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Hard to believe a person with a jewish background would vote for those who would impair their ability to defend themselves against horrendous government action.

I thought Jews swore "NEVER AGAIN" after Germany. (sigh)

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

History has a tendency to repeat itself. I don't understand it either. The Jews seem to have conservative beliefs and usually vote for the democrats. Maybe they haven't noticed that there has been a change in the democratic party in the last thirty some-odd years?

Snopes is NOT the last word, as well as Factcheck.org and all of the other liberal biased sources. Don't believe anything you read, especially if it is supposed to be fact. Even the Wikipedia site isn't immune.

4. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Kind of wants you to reevaluate the following Communist list for revolution doesn't it. We need to look at these again and think of today's world.

Gary

A. Corrupt the young, get them away from religion. Get them interested in sex. Make them superficial, destroy their ruggedness.

B. Get control of all means of publicity and thereby:

Get people's minds off their government by focusing their attention on athletics, sexy books and plays and other trivialities.

Divide the people into hostile groups by constantly harping on controversial matters of no importance.

Destroy the people's faith in their natural leaders by holding the latter up to contempt, ridicule and obloquy.

Always preach true democracy but seize power as fast and as ruthlessly as possible.

By encouraging government extravagance, destroy its credit, produce fear of inflation with rising prices and general discontent.

Foment unnecessary strikes in vital industries, encourage civil disorders, and foster a lenient and soft attitude on the part of government toward such disorders.

By specious argument cause the breakdown of the old moral virtues:

honesty,

sobriety,

continence,

faith in the pledged word,

ruggedness.

C. Cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext, with a view to confiscating them and leaving the population helpless.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, we know Neil Winston accepted it as the Stone Tablet from Mt. Sinai...so that should have told you right there.

Bottom line, in the Age of the Internet: take _everything_ you see on a computer (or anywhere else) with a grain of salt. Not all information sources have equal reliability, and everyone, everyone, has an "angle." Develop your own critical capacities, sifting and sorting, applying and constantly improving your own judgement, and don't blindly follow anything, or anyone.

But then again...was it ever not so? People raised in the Age of Cronkhite had a childish belief in institutions and authorities (a sort of epistemological "Fairy Tale Era," if you will). If the Age of the Internet finally succeeds in teaching people, perhaps the hard way, that every entity is composed of individuals, and individuals can always be questioned...then maybe we have accomplished something after all.

Cronkhite is Dead. And if he was "alive" - could you really believe him?

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, so much for believing Buzzzzzz-gun....

Last time I looked, Walter Cronkite (correct spelling) was still very much alive and still telling the truth....

Yes, I would still believe and trust him.

JC..

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

JC,

Literary allusion to the "God is Dead" thing..."...what after all are our media outlets now if not the tombs and sepulchers of God?..."...thought most would get it...guess I was wrong.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering, what does the fact that the Mikkelson's are Jewish have to do with anything?

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Cronkite lost all credibility during the failed 1968 Tet Offensive by the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong. The VC were thoroughly wiped out as an operating force, and the NVA suffered crippling losses. Cronkite shamelessly editorialized that the U.S. had lost the war there (he used the term "unwinnable").

If that S.O.B. died today, it wouldn't be too soon. He's just another "Lefty Louie".

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.