1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SNIPERS - GUNS & CALIBERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

Besides the .50 BMG, what other calibers are used by sniper teams of our military branches? Is there a preferred round? Thanks. john

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

.338 Lapua Magnum and 7.62MM Nato are two others they use besides the .50 Cal you mentioned.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

7.62x51 and 338 lapua, the most used is the 7.62x51

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

223(5.56MM) is another one. HMB

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

They have used the 300 Winchester Magnum also but it seems to have fell out of favor.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The .308 Winchester is the most popular caliber across the services.

MK

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

My nephew recently returned from Afganistan and says they used the 7.62
    quite often with much success.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Seems all the high-dollar sniper guns are now being made in .338 Lapua Magnum. Never shot one, but would like to try sometime. For that matter, never shot a .50 BMG either.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There's a new .416 cartridge that has a better BC than the mighty 50. It's still being evaluated and fine tuned. It has an effective range of 2000 meters.

The distance record for a kill shot is presently held by a Britsh sniper using the .338 Lapua.

ss

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Shortshucker, I may be wrong, but I thought that record was held by a Canadian sniper using a 50 cal. with shells loaned to him by some American snipers.

Steve

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That record didn't last long, but you are correct that it was held by Canadian Team using American ammo.

The Britsh sniper really did an amazing job as his was a one shot one kill, where the Canadian team took three shots to get on target.

I'll try to hunt up a link for you.

Here it is: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Afghanistan-Sniper-Corporal-Of-Horse-Craig-Harrison-Sets-Record-After-Killing-Taliban/Article/201005115624184

ss

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If I remember the story right the Brit shot the insurgents gun first to disable it then took him out.

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I'll stand corrected. Just haven't kept up-to-date.

Steve

14. grntitan

How does the .338 Lapua Mag compare ballistically to the .50BMG?

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It doesn't. It's just one of those over achieving calibers. Much like all the 6.5mm wildcats out there that are the scurge of "F" class shooting right now.

The 50BMG will shoot through things the .338 couldn't even dream of.

What it takes to hit something the size of a human target at over 1000 meters consistantly boggles my mind. Some people just have the knack, I don't.

ss

16. grntitan

Hell i don't have any optics that can see a human at a mile much less be able to put a bullet on one.

17. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I've always envied "natural shots." Wonder how good this guy would be today, shooting the equipment available now?

"For those not familiar with the Rowland group I'm going to quote heavily John Dutcher in his excellent book "Ballard, The Great American Single Shot". John knows more about Rowland than anyone I have met so far and has devoted many hours into sorting fact from fiction on this famous rifleman. Rowland's record group was 10 consecutive shots into .722 at two hundred yards. He did this shooting on May 16, 1901 in Boulder, Colorado.
    The rifle was a .32-40 Pope/Ballard, muzzle-loaded, of course, and the load was 3 grains No. 1 Dupont smokeless, 7 1/2 U.M.C. primer, with the rest of the case filled with FG Hazard's black powder, the whole charge being about 46 grains bulk. Powder was sifted, bullets were cast 1-10 alloy, and lubed with Leopold's No. 6 lubricant. Also , the Oleo grease wads were used. Bullets were weighed to a tenth-grain and primers were also weighed. Rowland shot the rifle from a Stevens/Pope machine rest. I'm not sure how long Rowland took to shoot the group other than he did the shooting in one day.

What I think is even more impressive than the 200-yard group is the 40-shot string that Rowland shot at one hundred yards that measured 1/2" by 1/2", widest shots. He also shot this from machine rest and used a .32-40 Schoyen, breech-seated, and Dupont bulk (smokeless) shotgun powder. Interestingly, the bullet was a 200-grainer cast from a Schoyen mould at 1-20...softer than the bullet used with the duplex load. He shot the string over the course of a couple days.

18. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

What about that .419 round cheytac was using in their guns. I remember seeing something about how effective it was a few years back

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Wanna see some good shootin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xx5XL9htg&feature=player_embedded#at=455

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My Nephew is a SWAT Team Commander in Lake County, Illinois, The weapon they issued him is a .308 built just for him ... They have to qualify at 1500 yards to stay on the Team ... These guys can shoot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

338 snipetac 375

375 snipetac

longrange308 155grain

sniper calibers