1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sniper nails Taliban more than a mile and a half

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dhwbailey, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1270414/British-sniper-sets-new-sharpshooting-record-1-54-mile-double-Taliban-kill.html

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Easier this way.

EDIT: Actually not easier. Link is too long for available space.

eric

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Total Bull Shit......times 2 to boot....They must have the best dope on the planet there.

A .338 bullet at that distance would be in vertical flight by the time it hit anything.

Maybe someone will do the math on this and show just how outrageous this claim really is.

When I get the time later I'll run the numbers just for the laugh.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The fact that both shots hit their intended target is a little suspect.

The Canadian finally hit his mark on the third shot, but needed two to get doped in on the target and this was with the help of a spotter. The only reason why the Canadian sniper was able to hit the target was because he was using our shells. The ones that are used by the British and Canadians aren't loaded as hot as what out soldiers use.

221 like you I find this story a little suspect because of the lack of details. The Canadian story is well documented and they even had the whole senario on tv trying to duplicate it.

I'm glad the taliban met their demise, but I'm going to need more facts before I believe this one.

ss

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

This is a well documented story that gets mistold frequently. It was a .50 caliber rife and yes he was using US made 50 ammo which is hotter. Jeff

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

2,700 yards is a very very long shot. Kind of hard to believe two consecutive hits at that range. I guess the rounds have to land somewhere ...

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Superxjeff has his information correct. Not a 338 but a 50 BMG round. US manufacture not the Canadian ammo the sniper was issued because the hunting was so good, he ran out of his own issue ammo. He was interviewed on the History channel and was pretty modest about the whole thing.

Jeff

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It would take more than hot ammo to make those shots. You can not just chamber a hot load and shoot .1 moa shots......this ain't trap.

At that range you would no longer be able to look at the target due to the elevation necessary. Most scopes only have about 60 moa elevation in them so at that distance you'd be aiming at stars.

Leopold's and NF scopes need a tapered mount to shoot 1000yd....now just imagine 2700.....it's a fantasy. I have a rifle that has 35 minutes built into the scope base......most mil rifles do not and have the scopes on straight.

Prior to this fiasco in the middle east all "CONFIRMED KILLS" had to be witnessed and distance verified by an officer......Today we let Corporals claim anything they want and there are some who will believe it.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

There is still people that don't belive we went to the moon either. LOL

221.........read the link quack shot put up- and it will answer you doubts. I would be willing to bet any amount that your rifle doesn't even compare to the one used in this case.

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Seems the smell of bullcrap only happens when 221 shows up on the site. Who died and left him god of long range ballistics.

Jim Miller

12. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Now dont doubt 221. He has killed a cat at 16 feet with his so called one of a kind super gun and high powered scope. A confirmed kill from his brothers friend of a man that saw another guy that wasnt there at the time.
    Chris

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Both links are to the same article. I need more than 1 article to make it believeable.

1) The article mentions nothing about a spotter. If you are going to shoot at something 1.5 miles away and kill it, you're gonna need a little help.

2) First shot was a hit in the stomach. It wasn't high,low,right, or left. The shooter was spot on on his scope adjustments from the start. BS!

3) Shooter was using ammo that he wasn't entirely familiar with. All of his training prior to being sent was done with lesser/slower ammo.

GoldEx,

The person you are referencing is the Canadian (and he had a spotter), not this British chap that is being talked about in this article. I saw the same show as you did.

I call this whole thing propaganda for the time being. It sure in the world didn't take 6 months for the word to get around about the Canadian kill shot. Why did it take 6 months for a new record to be heard about?

ss

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Carlos Hathcock made a 2460yd shot (1.4 miles) with a BMG fifty years ago. That was two consecutive hits, one for the bike and the second for the kid.

15. Maurice

Maurice Member

Two Dogs, you have got it right, if an American didn't do it, it is not true. Give me a break! Some of you guys just cannot admit that someone from a place other than America can do something as well or even better than than an American. 221, you are clueless, you have no idea about modern Military equipement. Maurice ( The Brit.0

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

SuperX, in this case it was a .338 Lapua Magnum, not a .50BMG.

17. M-16

M-16 TS Member

The bigest reason an American did not do it as they didn't and probely wouldn't get clearence to fire. Not trying to take anything away from the Candians just they probely get clearence to fire easier especially for that range

18. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Anyone familiar with the name "Billy Dixon"?
    dju

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Isn't Billy Dixon the guy who in the 1870s shot an Indian at a little over 1500 yards with a .50 Sharps?

Or so the story goes.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"At that range you would no longer be able to look at the target due to the elevation necessary. Most scopes only have about 60 moa elevation in them so at that distance you'd be aiming at stars. "</i>

How about a little less armchair commandoing?

Picatinny scope bases are made with various MOA slopes built in to compensate for this. Common sizes are 20 MOA, but these have been made in 30, 40, 50, 60 MOA and more.

Heck, even the lowly 10-22 has 20 MOA scope bases available for it so that the crosshairs can be aligned in the optical center of the scope. Click the link for an example.

<i>"Isn't Billy Dixon the guy who in the 1870s shot an Indian at a little over 1500 yards with a .50 Sharps? </i>

Closer to a mile, actually. Billy Dixon made this shot at the Second Battle of Adobe Walls. From Second Battle of Adobe Walls - Wikipedia:

"The second day after the initial attack, fifteen warriors rode out on a bluff nearly a mile away to survey the situation. Some reports indicate they were taunting the Adobe Walls defenders but, at the distance involved, it seems unlikely. At the behest of one of the hunters, Billy Dixon, already renowned as a crack shot, took aim with a 'Big Fifty' Sharps (it was either a .50-70 or -90, probably the latter) he'd borrowed from Hanrahan, and cleanly dropped a warrior from atop his horse. This apparently so discouraged the Indians they decamped and gave up the fight. Two weeks later a team of US Army surveyors, under the command of Nelson A. Miles, measured the distance of the shot: 1,538 yards, or nine-tenths of a mile. For the rest of his life, Billy Dixon never claimed the shot was anything other than a lucky one; his memoirs do not devote even a full paragraph to 'the shot'.[1]"

And for those who don't believe that bullets can reach out that far, here is information on the Sandy Hook Trials of 1879, where the 45-70 cartridge was tested out to a range of TWO MILES.

The Sandy Hook Trials of 1879

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.