1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap shooting handicap targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I've noticed lately that instead of swinging smoothly on handicap targets I tend to snap shoot them really quick. The move is out of control and there's no consistency. Have any of you guys experienced the same thing and if so how did you remedy the problem?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Don't be confused with the swinging and smacking the trigger, with what you describe. The act of handicap shooting (and doubles to me anyway) is dynamically a faster act that singles.

Because of the geometry of longer yardage handicap shooting, you more that likely (and correctly) are moving faster in the act of shooting. On the angled targets you MUST follow through... and it's this follow through, or lack thereof, makes one think that they are "snap shooting," a phrase you use, but an accurate one at that.

At 27 yards, sometimes I don't even move my barrel it seems at the straight-a-ways and quartering targets. I am sure if someone is standing behind me watching, they'd swear that I simply just call for the target and pull the trigger. And, in some cases they are correct, but I concentrate of the target appearing instantly, and do have pretty keen vision, better than 20-20.

If you are breaking the targets, then you have no problem(s). However, if you fell that you are failing in this regard, then be sure to accentuate your follow throughs.

Personally, I don't like singles as much as handicap, because it's a helluva lot more work. Lots more barrel and body movement in singles.

IMHO.

Whiz

3. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Whiz,

Maybe "Snap" is a poor choice of words. The move is jerky, not a smooth move to the target. It seems like sometimes the move is nice and controlled then sometimes it is out of control. It's hard to be consistent if the move is not controlled.

4. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Kgun....Your gun should naturally move to the target with your vision. Seeing the target first or visually acquiring it before you start the move, better maintains control. Jerky moves are generally correction moves. Out of timing with your vision and subconscious.

Try stopping all gun and eye movement at the point. Be certain to switch from thinking to vision. Then call for the target and not move until the target is visually acquired. Starting from a dead stop helps the targeting process to be consistant. Also tends to help maintain a familiar POI or POI that is confident during the shot. Potentially every shot is timed similar based on consistant moves. Confidence builds with each centered target. Errors are more quickly recognized, and corrected sooner.

Hope you can build a good habit......Maltz

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It's a quicker movement and you stop quicker as compared to singles, because the geometric angles are less.

So, if it's quicker, I think it give the illusion of the "snapping" you refer to.

I shooting very quickly, but I am always following through during and after the shot, but because movement is much less, a bystander could think what you propose.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.