1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SNAP ON TOOL CHEST QUESTION

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by noknock1, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I found this tool chest that after I degrease will look nifty setting on a shelf holding various tools around my firearms bench. However, I can't figure out how to get the drawers out. I have tried tipping the drawers out, looking for notches in the slide rails, tabs, etc.

I haven't really applied any force when trying to tip out the drawers as I don't know if I will end up bending something. What is the trick to get the drawers out of this thing so I can clean it up?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

There are little spring loaded whatsmacallets in those tracks on the side, or should be. Gently pull them out a little bit and the drawer will come free, or should.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What Mapper sez.

My older Craftsman has the same setup. There is a stop in the end of the track that is missed when you pull the little spring steel bars sideways.

HM

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

On my Snap-on boxes, you have to shove a feeler gauge looking strap of steel down the sides between the draw and the guides.

Once inserted, you pull the draw out just like you were going to open it.

The guides will stay with the box.

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

timberfaller is correct. you can use a strip of metal about .040 or so and about 6 inches long. open the drawer all the way out. then push it in about 2 inches. insert the metal strips--one on each side- between the drawer and the slide. with the strip in place slide the drawer out. To reinstall just line up the drawer and push it in. really easy. The "tool" look like a strip of metal about 1/2 inch wide and 6 inches long. you need two of them. motordoc

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Timber and Motor are correct, and a dealer will give you these drawer tools.

I only use one at a time, and slide the guide back, rather than trying to pull the drawer out.

Works for me!

Danny

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Thanks guys, that did the trick! Tabs hidden on inside of track, nice touch!

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

this year I took a hacksaw blade and ground it down to .400 X about 6 inches of the teeth off to remove mine. Worked great. I was told Snap On gets $6.50 for the little removal tools.

I had tried before and had given up last year. My feeler gages and when grinding just the teeth off a hacksaw blade left them at .500 and that was too wide to lay flat in the track to release the catch. Ray

9. goony

goony Active Member

You can use a nylon wire tie, it works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.