1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap Caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I shot about 75 rounds at the trap range today (using a Beretta UGB25). The last 50 rounds or so I was by myself, and thus I fired more rapidly than normal, since I didn't have the customary wait for 4 other guys to take their turn. After I picked up my shells, I packed up, closed the trap house, put a Beretta plastic snap cap in my gun, pulled the trigger and put the gun in its case. Thus it was at least 10 minutes from when I stopped firing until I put the snap cap in the gun.

When I got home, I couldn't get the snap cap out until I put a cleaning rod down the barrel and hit the snap cap pretty hard. It looks like the snap cap melted a little while in the chamber! I would guess the gun was a little warm due to my fairly rapid firing. I used a bronze brush to remove any plastic residue that might have been left in the chamber, but I don't think I'm going to use plastic snap caps any more. Anybody have a similar experience?

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Did the go off when you pulled the trigger?

Snap cap are danerous.

3. DK65

DK65 TS Member

This has happened to me before (with a rifle, albeit).

I use aluminum snap caps in everything now.

4. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Mr. Skeet, I'm not sure what could have "gone off" when I had nothing but a snap cap in the gun, but nothing much happened when I pulled the trigger except the firing pin snapped.

As to the danger in snap caps, Beretta recommends using one in my gun to take the firing pin spring out of compression. I just have to get one that doesn't melt in the chamber.

Getting confused as to whether you have a snap cap or a live round in the chamber IS dangerous, and it's why I don't want to use an expended shell as a snap cap. Too easy to get a nasty surprise.