1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mountainsteve, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Thinking of buying some snap caps for my shotguns. My old plastic ones are breaking up. Looking at aluminum ones from Cabellas. I have heard just using an empty shot shell may work just as well. Any advise?

2. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Buy the aluminum ones so you can tell difference between snap caps and kaboom caps. jim w.

3. morgaj1

morgaj1 Member

I have these and really like them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beretta-Shotgun-20-Gauge-Stainless-Snap-Caps-1-Pair-New-/360516765304?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D300577191334%26ps%3D54

They are a bit pricey, but are really well made.

4. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Thought the snap caps with a spring may have an advantage. If not I can paint the kaboom blanks black to distinguish the difference for safety. .???

5. deadnout

deadnout Member

when i bought my wall chart from terry jordan he sent two home made caps with it. he cut 2 12 ga. down to half the the lenght and put clear silicone caulk on the primer. works slicker then snot. i also have 2 from cabelas.

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Motorman sells some very nice caps with wool mops.

7. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Terry Jordan's design works for me. Use brass hulls like STS etc, cut off to about 1", and after you squirt in the clear silicone, use a wad to act as a plunger to force some silicone out of the primer hole. Be sure to put some non-conductive oil/grease on the brass & chamber to avoid electrolysis corrosion between the snap cam & the chamber, especially in Brownings. ....ask how I know ;-)

best....mike

9. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

I would stick with a good quality aluminum cap. The benefit with this type of cap is the primer area is spring loaded and will protect your firing pin and also wont damage your chamber. I can't see how squirting some silicon in a hull and using that for a cap is going to protect your firing pin?

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I like the ZOOM brand caps. You cqn buy them on the internet and you will not mistake them for live shells. Martinpicker

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

a once fired federal paper hull soaked in oil or coated with grease works for me

12. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Why doesn't anybody make ATA legal orange snap caps?

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

So far as firing pin protection with Terry's silicone silicone snap caps, the results speak volumes. Terry recommends, and has been using them for years and hundreds of thousands of times, as have many of his satisfied customers. For those who question the effectiveness of Terry's snap cap, I'll ask to see your data.

mike

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I expanded on Terry Jordan's Home Made Snap Caps, and bought a tube of Dow Corning #832 from Applied Industrial Technologies. This tube fits into a regular caulking gun and will do several hunderd shells.

DOW CORNING 832 Multi-Surface Adhesive & Sealant..about $8.50 or so a tube.

I cut several old shells to about 1" in length. Then spray painted the back sides florecent orange. After that dried, I shoved the end of the tube into the open end of the shell, filled the primer hole until the sealant came out, and trailed it off on the inside of the shell. 48 hours later I cut the tail outside the primer hole about 1/16" above the brass with a razor blade so the rubber would compress when the gun is closed. This rubber gives an approximate Durometer (hardness) reading of a pencil eraser.

I did several hundred a few years ago to use with the Terry Jordan Chart, and gave many to friends. I still kept several to use with my chart. I Load up my shell pouch with these and use the chart just as if real shooting.

For storing my guns, I like the ones Snap Caps with the little brush on them with some Rem-Oil sprayed on them....Store guns upside down in a cabinet so the oil in the barrel does not run down into the action or stock.

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Shove an unused pencil eraser into the empty primer hole of a spent hull cut down to about an inch tall and fill the inside of the hull with RTV of some sort. Let it cure for a few days and trim the eraser so it's about 1/32" proud of the base.

Keller

16. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

We have a hole in the club room floor and one in the ceiling from "Snap Caps" not to mention some outpatient surgery.

Not allowed in side anymore